Do I need the morning after pill?

Yesterday was the last day of my period, me and my guy met and had unprotected sex. It was unprotected but he withdrew from me. Do you think I need the morning after pill though baring in mind he didn't come inside me and it was the last day of my period so there won't be an egg to fertilise??

I would take it but a couple of years ago when I was 16 I took the morning after pill like 20 times in a short space of time and I'm worried that this will cause me long time side effects in the future so I'm scared to take it again right now..

It depends how pregnancy averse you are. Personally, I would be rushing to a clinic to get that pill - I don't like to take chances.

Unless you track your cycle and know exactly when you ovulate, there is a chance you could get pregnant. It's not very high, but it's there. Knowing that, you have to decide what's right for you.

Re: plan B. It is a high dose of hormones, and if you are having to take it often I would recommend going on some form of birth control, or at least using a barrier method. I'm no doctor so I can't say as to what adverse affects you might have, but I wouldn't think one more time would make such a difference. And having a child is a pretty big side-effect !!!!

Hey there,

I would take the morning after pill, just to be safe and for peace of mind. Also, a woman can get pregnant ANYTIME during the month. Furthermore, the withdraw method is VERY risky. Obviously you feel there is a chance you could be preganant after doing these two risky things otherwise you would not be scared or feeling like you should take the morning after pill.

I would look in the yellow pages and look up Planned Parenthood and see if you can take them ASAP. Are you not on birth control?

P.S. I looked at your post from Jan. 7, 2006 and this happened. Why are you doing this to yourself?

As Kellbell asked why are you doing this to yourself? You have put yourself at risk of not only getting pregnant so many times but catching an STD. If you can't take proper precautions and use a condom you really do need to get on some form of Birth Control. You are messing with your body taking such high doses of hormones so often youd be much better off getting on the pill as this isnt the first time. It's really time to step up and start being more responsible about protecting yourself and having so many "oops" happen.

I have only ever had sex with the same guy, and I am his first time, I know I have not/will not catch an STD from him.

We usually do use condoms it's just we have a very on/off relationship and never really know when we are going to have sex. We have only had sex twice in the last 6months..

Hey there,

It does not matter if it was a year ago. You mentioned in that other post you stopped taking birth control, used condoms sometimes and used the pull out method. So, I understand you were stressed last year, thus causing your period to be late. But you were worried about being pregnant. It does not matter if it is the same guy, if you have sex with the same guy on and off. You are still taking very big risks. It only takes one time.

My recommendation is to get the morning after pill, use condoms all the time or get on birth control. I hope everything is okay and take care.

Yes we don't use the pull out method anymore, we only did yesterday cause it was the last day of my period so I thought it would be safe.. after thinking about it I realise it might not be as safe as first thought so i suppose I will have to get the morning after pill =/

Yeah, I really suggest you get on Birth Control. You have stated first that you use it (the pull out method) because you dont always have condoms, and now you're saying you did it because well you thought it would be safe... Unless you want to become a mother, get on birth control and dont just rely on condoms as you said you still have sex whether you have them or not.

I agree with what the others have said...if you really are so averse to using condoms, at the very *least* go on some form of oral contraceptive! It will still be putting hormones into your body, but it's better than having these random high doses in the form of the morning after pill! Then you also have less risk of thinking about if your perid is late, there will be a time when it comes. When I was with my ex before I was on the pill I'd still have the panic everytime I was supposed to come on, even using condoms, because I never knew when I ws due. When I went on the pill it was great, because I knew when I was going to come on. And also you don't have to worry about having any condoms left...

Get the pill NOW and please, learn from the time you took it 20 times in a short timespan... that you NEED a better way of protection than having unprotected sex and then rushing to a clinic. Why aren't you on the pill? You should always at least use condoms, but those are best to protect yourself from STI's. To have the best protection against pregnancy, combine the condom with another contraceptive. If you are so scared of the morning after pill, I really don't understand why you aren't on a regular contraceptive if you are sexually active. It comes down to responsibility of both partners, to protect each other from diseases and to not get pregnant if that is not what you want.

Arwen

Hey there,

You mentioned you are not sure when you see this guy let alone when you are going to have sex with him, all the more reason to go on birth control.

I am on the Ortho Evra Patch and I LOVE IT! I change it once a week for the 3 weeks and on the forth week I take it off and that is when I get my period. No pills to worry about everyday and I was on Depo Provera and hated it. Too many side effects. I have had minimal side effects with the patch if any.

If you are worried about your parents finding out, or being able to afford it, Planned Parenthood keeps everything confidential and birth control is very affordable if not free, depending on your income. Also, they give out condoms free. Never hurts to have a few in your purse or nightstand drawer.

It never hurts to be safe. You are taking many chances and rationalizing because you have sex sometimes, with the same guy and on the last day of your period, using the withdraw method, things will be fine. It can happen. Don't take those chances. Be safe okay.

(((HUGS)))

I would go and get the MAP, then look into getting an IUD. You sound like a perfect candiate if you don't want to get pregnant. It doesn't release any hormones and you don't even have to think about it for 10 years.

However not advised if she is not in a stable relationship, and if they are off and on I am worried about whether she knows his sexual healthy fully. They may not be willing to give it to her unless she is in a stable, monogomous relationship. The IUD increases risks of STI's travelling into the uterus, ovaries, etc and causing serious infection and permanent scarring.

I love my IUD, but it really needs to be carefully considered because even though it is no "worry" there are still precautions that need to be taken.

She needs to discuss all her birth control options with a professional, because what is suitable for her depends on many factors.

I'm just curious as to why they would prescribe the pill then, since you can get STI's with that too? Is it purely because of the increased STI risk with the IUD?

I was thinking from a pregnancy point of view. Of course condoms are going to be advised, but I'm not sure how reliable she'd be at taking a pill every day. At least with the IUD you don't have to worry about that.

There is an increased risk, yes. My concerns are that while a condom in addition to birth control is best bet, that if she is not using them, that not using them with an IUD is riskier than not using them with the pill.

While they do now give them to women whom have not children, they are still hesitant to give to women whom are not in stable, long term relationships. Because there are strings that lead into the vaginal cavity, it is easier for bacteria and STI's to climb and enter the uterus, etc. If she was not as on and off with this guy, was in a long term and committed relationship it may be more suitable.

It is something she definitely needs to discuss with her doctor though too, as we don't know her medical history; there are other factors that make you unsuitable candidates for some forms of birth control be it the pill, IUD, etc.

With an IUD, she also has to be prepared to check it frequently at first, and then monthly (as they can be displaced and lose effectiveness).