What Age Were You When You Moved Out ?

I first moved out when I was 18, when I went away to university. It was th ebest thing I ever did. I grew as a person a million times more than I would have done had I stayed at home. I grew more independent, more worldly wise and simply more "me".....and I learnt a LOT. It was brilliant. Of course I was spoiled and still had my parents helping me out financially whilst I was at uni so it was easier for me than others. But It was still great and all I learnt I use now living on my own and I don't need to rely on my parents for anything other than love and support now.

I moved out for one semester of college at 18, then returned home. I moved out again at age 28, right after finishing graduate school. I never could have imagined what a huge difference it made to be living on my own and taking care of myself even though I had done that mostly while living at home during graduate school. It changed my relationship with my family, myself, and my relationships - platonic and romantic - all for the better.

I moved out at age 22. It was scary. Even more so because I moved from a small town to a large city. That was scary too.

The noise in a large city, especially at night! And it never gets dark. I couldn't sleep good for the first week. I learned to stick in earplugs and drink a beer before bed.

It all worked out though.

I moved out at age 17, and got an apartment with a bunch of friends. It was great fun... but it was alot of responsibility too. I left because I didn't like my parents' rules and I thought I knew everything...

And of course I realized pretty quickly that this was not the case. I worked nights at a factory to pay my part of the rent, and we had to clean and cook and do laundry and that was quite a wake up call!

I do not regret doing it though- it was a good learning experience and it actually improved my relationship with my parents alot because it humbled me and made me respect them so much more for supporting 4 kids- including an ungrateful teenager like myself.

Man I feel like a piece of crap everyone so far on this board has moved out either around my age or younger. I feel like I am a loser and that their is something cause I am not making the same strides as everyone else.

I got out of technical college back in April 2006 expected to get a really great high paying job. Well things didn't work out and while the job I do have is my field and I really enjoy it, It just doesn't pay enough Got it's so frustrating you go to college expecting you'll get out and be successful, have your own place and be independent. But then things don't turn out that way, and now I feel like a loser.

I hate to beat on myself like this, but what is this pathetic loser of a "man" supposed to do??

Wow, it seems everybody moves out in their teens or twenties. When I was in my twenties, I thought about moving out, but I was concerned about all the practical complications. For example, how do you keep an apartment and support yourself if you're laid off from your job?

There seems to be a stigma attached to young adults who stay in their parents' home; this seems sort of unfair to me. Aren't there some practical reasons for staying put?

I moved out this past year. It was time.

But since I'm still in school full-time, working full-time and going to school full-time proved to be too problematic. I had to work to keep a roof over my head, but I was missing way too much school. So I decided it was in my best interests to quit my horrible job and move back home until I graduate from university.

Then, I can move out and be independent. Truthfully, I hated living alone anyway. Boring, depressing, tedious, dull and lonely. Not for me.

Not sure how people can live by themselves and enjoy it. Must be much less of a people person than I. I dunno...

I just turned 26 and I've never left home. I've had the same job for 5 years and it pays well I guess. I have no idea if I could afford to live on my own. I don't have any friends,.. so the roommate idea is out. I don't have any plans to move out, actually. I never wanted to go to college because I don't want to "be anything". I'm not a goal oriented person. I'm just trying to enjoy life with as little effort and stress as possible until I die. (and I hope that happens before I turn 30)

I moved out when I was 17, and never went back. I moved away for college. I was excited. I felt really independent. I learned a lot. Anyways, there is nothing wrong with staying at home. I've had friends that have stayed at home until they were 25-29. I even knew one guy who was 36 and still living with his mom. In some cultures you don't move out until you get married and start a family of your own. If you DO want to move out, do it, don't question it. It seems like a lot of expenses at first but you learn real fast to cut back on some things and save money for rent. Its a really good experience.

Man I feel like a piece of crap everyone so far on this board has moved out either around my age or younger. I feel like I am a loser and that their is something cause I am not making the same strides as everyone else.

I got out of technical college back in April 2006 expected to get a really great high paying job. Well things didn't work out and while the job I do have is my field and I really enjoy it, It just doesn't pay enough Got it's so frustrating you go to college expecting you'll get out and be successful, have your own place and be independent. But then things don't turn out that way, and now I feel like a loser.

I hate to beat on myself like this, but what is this pathetic loser of a "man" supposed to do??

It's not a contest. I was on my own from 22 to 24. That was 3 years (22, 23, 24). Then moved back home for 1 year. Then moved out again.

My dad lived with his parents until he got married at age 26. He has no experience with bachelor living in his life. He did pay his parents rent starting when he was 18 though. He was working and investing most of his money in rental properties while living with his parents.

At that time, before women's lib, men weren't very liberated either, in many ways. Most men then would literally go hungry without a woman to cook. Really. His mom was a school teacher and she started bringing home all the young school teachers to dinner (one a week) in hopes that he'd like one, marry her, and move the heck out. Her plan worked.

I didn't move out until I was 24 and into my first apartment. What a disaster! There was a grow op downstairs, the windows froze over at night, there were HOLES in the walls and doors formerly hidden by the previous couple's posters and stuff (found out later that the guy living there previously was abusive), and theft notices popped up in the lobby once I moved in (obviously taken down when I was looking at the place).

The area looked nice during the day, but at night, there were yelling drunks on the streets.

To top it off, I didn't realize how expensive heat, electricity, cable, etc were once added up and things were too tight to eat very well.

My car also got stolen, taken for a joyride and banged up. That was the last straw. I moved home.

I just got a new place here at 26. This is a basement suite in a nice neighbourhood. Its noisy, but being deaf, I can't hear it anyways so I got very good rent I love love love having my own place and my own rules.

I moved out at age 17, and got an apartment with a bunch of friends. It was great fun... but it was alot of responsibility too. I left because I didn't like my parents' rules and I thought I knew everything...

And of course I realized pretty quickly that this was not the case. I worked nights at a factory to pay my part of the rent, and we had to clean and cook and do laundry and that was quite a wake up call!

I do not regret doing it though- it was a good learning experience and it actually improved my relationship with my parents alot because it humbled me and made me respect them so much more for supporting 4 kids- including an ungrateful teenager like myself.

Sounds just like my story!

Moved out at 20 for 1.5 years.. moved back home for 2 years.. moved out for 8 months... moved back home again for 2 years.. and finally moved out for good in 1992... and never looked back.. now I am a homeowner! It was a great feeling experiencing moving from my own place to another own place rather than moving back home, then move out and back home again. I admit, I do miss living rent-free at times, but I don't miss fighting over the bathroom (parents have only ONE! bathroom!) in my current home I have two bathrooms and I love it! LOL

Not sure how people can live by themselves and enjoy it. Must be much less of a people person than I. I dunno...

Just because people live alone doesn't always mean they are not people person. I live alone and love it. It's the only time I can be alone and have quiet away from work, and social life.

I am not the type to live with roommates, unless it was with a boyfriend. I have lived with boyfriends before, but whenever I am single, I always live alone. I do have friends over. U can walk around the home naked! LOL Men who lives alone can leave their tiolet seat up without getting yelled at!

I moved out at 17 and it was the best thing I ever did.

I now have the best relationship with my parents and have grown up more than I could've imagined. They were helping me financially up until recently.

I needed the kick in the butt that reality provides.