Women are teh suck

I typed:

---" I don't know.I might take the semester off to pay for my new car. But maybe we can see each other OUTSIDE of school. *HINT HINT* "

What does she say?:

---" take a semester off?!?! o man this is going to be my last for undergraduate! have you talked to anyone from the SGA days? maybe we should all have a reunion in the works... "

That's so asking her out. Com'on how obvious is that?! I mean com'on! Sheesh!

Women, my god! Get a clue!

She was shocked by your decision to take the semester off and was showing concern for you,i t doesn't mean she hasn't a clue, it means she cares about you and your life.

It may have overshadowed the 'see each other' but I am sure if she really likes you she has been thinking of it ever since. And I agree with Dn and caligirl, don't drop hints, go for it.

I typed:

---" I don't know.I might take the semester off to pay for my new car. But maybe we can see each other OUTSIDE of school. *HINT HINT* "

What does she say?:

---" take a semester off?!?! o man this is going to be my last for undergraduate! have you talked to anyone from the SGA days? maybe we should all have a reunion in the works... "

That's so asking her out. Com'on how obvious is that?! I mean com'on! Sheesh!

Women, my god! Get a clue!

I've found just asking straight to the point seems to work ALOT better than hints. As a Man giving hints wouldn't be something in our nature thats more of a move a woman would use (not implying anything there). It could be one of two things WHY you got that response...One she read the first part of the question and didn't read the rest or shes not interested.

By telling her oh i might take off the semester then "hinting" you'd like to spend some time w/ her you are giving her the option to ignore your question or play dumb like she didn't see it. If you want to get a DEF YES or NO then you need to just ask her one DIRECT question or have one DIRECT point when you right back to her that way she doesn't have an option to not answer what your asking...

Any history w/ this girl?

I would assume that someone who was sincerely interested in taking me on a date would put in the effort to pick up the phone and call me -- even if all he wanted to do was hint. You can't tell tone or nuances from typing and I wouldn't take an hint or an invitation like that seriously at all.

When my boyfriend started courting me (yup, that old fashioned word!) he first took me on some non-dates because we had dated in a past life and he wanted to sort of test the waters.

On a Wednesday night he called and said "would you like to go to dinner and the theater on Saturday night?"

Now, that is 13 words (count how many are in your so-called "hint") and it remains the universal language of asking a lady out on a date. What you communicated with your message "I can't be bothered to call you, I can't be bothered to ask you out on a proper date I plan in advance, and I'm going to bury a hint about seeing you outside of school in this newsflash about my educational plans."

Doesn't really inspire the warm fuzzies in me - and I bet it didn't in her if she even understood what you were trying to ask (which was, "wanna hang out sometime" not "would you like to go on a date with me sometime").

I would not have interpreted that as asking someone out. Until you wrote that you were upset she didn't get the hint, neither did I.

DN is right. If you want to ask her out, don't write her a vague email.

Go up to her and say, "Hey XX, would you like to have dinner with me?"

Pretty much no way to misinterpret that.

yeah, I agree with the others, I wouldn't have interpreted your e-mail as asking me out either. especially since there are guys who call me and say, "would you like to get dinner on friday night, around 7 PM?"

I would have also been concerned about why you were taking the semester off. to me, "I'm taking the semester off" = "i'm having a really tough time right now, I can't deal with classes, let alone a girlfriend."

At least, that's been my experience dating guys who are taking the semester off....

Your original post confused me. Is it possible she was confused by it, or didn't get it? Heck, I'm still confused.

Add to that, I go out with many women as friends. As far as I'm concerned, it's not a date unless the word "date" was used in the asking. It's more like you told her you'd like to be friends, to the extent that I understand your OP.

Now don't misunderstand me. I'm totally sympathetic to your frustrations. I've been there. However, I think the solution is to be more direct and just ask her out either as a "friend" or as a "date" and be that specific to avoid confusion.