How do you and your partner sleep?

These recent posts regarding sleep made me wonder how people sleep with their partners? Snuggled up? Separate? Back to back? Spooning?

I remember when my boyfriend and I first slept together, we managed to sleep snuggled up quite well. Well actually, we had no choice since we had to sleep in a single bed! Come to think of it, we've never slept in a full size bed! Crazy. Thank god we slept well together. He loves that we can fall asleep snuggling each other and remain that way. He says "We're so much more compatible and sleeping together feels more natural for us. It's almost like we've been doing it for years."

His previous girlfriend thrashed and moved around a lot in her sleep. They had to get a California King bed because of it and even then that didn't always work.

I get points for being a calm, snuggable sleeper ;-)

So what about everyone else? Do you fit together well, or does one of you move about a lot?

Oh wow..it would be horrible to sleep with a thrasher!!! Haha...My bf and I start off with me snuggling into his shoulder...but by the time we wake up...haha...the blanket is totally messed up and we could either be spooning, lying back to back with our feet wrapped around eachothers, or on total opposite sides of the bed!!

I think it depends on what type of dreams are going on

Hmm.

In my last relationship, we would cuddle (her head on my shoulder) until we were about to doze off. Then we would kiss and say goodnight, and reposition ourselves back to back, and entwine our legs, or cuddle our feet for the night.

I too hear something about sleeping patterns/positions revealing a lot about the nature of relationships...

These recent posts regarding sleep made me wonder how people sleep with their partners? Snuggled up? Separate? Back to back? Spooning?

Usually we snuggle for a little bit- then move when it's time to actually fall asleep. We are both very independent sleepers and need a lot of room.

I've always been unable to sleep if people are breathing on me- I feel like I'm suffocating. He needs room to sprawl out- he's a very wild sleeper. If I'm too close an arm might land on my head. Sometimes my blankets get totally stolen and I have to pull hard to get them back- I usually growl when that happens.

Throw into the mix, an over-sized ball of fur that likes to sleep on people's heads (our cat)- and our bedroom must look like a real circus at night.

Now that's romance for you.....:splat:

His previous girlfriend thrashed and moved around a lot in her sleep. They had to get a California King bed because of it and even then that didn't always work.

We have one of these too because we need a lot of space. Guests come over an make comments like "That's a huge bed- what the heck do you need that for?" When we say "sleeping", they usually don't believe us.

we had no choice since we had to sleep in a single bed

I don't think we could ever do that. One of us would eventually end up on the floor.

BellaDonna

I usually fall sleep in the "crook" of my boyfriends arm (on my stomach while he is on his back), or my head on his shoulder with his arm under/around me, with one leg draped up over his.

In the mornings we tend to be either in some form of a spoon position, or if we were really hot or something we may be apart but move back together in a moment of consciousness...

My wife and I might spoon when we first get in bed, but after a while that gets hot and sticky (she likes to sleep nekid or with just her bottoms on) so we separate. We usually sleep like that for most of the night... We do have a double bed though and my wife refuses to get a queen because she likes me being "right next to her"...

Hey all - here's a an article I found online:

link removed

It's pretty intuitive actually. My BF and I sleep with our legs always touching somehow...we start out spooning - him behind me and then as we fall asleep we both have our own most comfortable position we had before we started sleeping together, but our legs are always touching somehow

Hey all - here's a an article I found online:

link removed

It's pretty intuitive actually. My BF and I sleep with our legs always touching somehow...we start out spooning - him behind me and then as we fall asleep we both have our own most comfortable position we had before we started sleeping together, but our legs are always touching somehow

Aww, we do the leg hug at night and the spoon in the morning...apparently those are both good things.

When my husband was living we always started out in the spooning position with him behind me. At some point we might roll the opposite way with me behind him. I never could handle facing each other cuddling, snuggling, as I am like BellaDonna and can't stand someone breathing on me or in my face when I am trying to go to sleep.

My ex BF was a whole different story on the sleeping. He suffered from a sleeping disorder, that was discovered only once he and I started sleeping together. The first night I actually slept in the same bed with him, I was awakened by him not only talking in his sleep and actually acting out his dream. I asked him about it and he said he did not remember anything about it. With out going into a long long story on the explanation of his disorder , I will try to keep it simple. IT was at least a three or four night as week occurrence with the acting out his dreams. Some were even violent , and I ended up being hit or slapped accidentally when he was acting out the fighting ,etc that was going on in his dreams.

Needless to say, we never slept touching or close, due to his acting out. I convinced him to go to a sleep lab for a diagnosis. Even though they figured out what to do for him, I was always still afraid to sleep too close. Imagine this , I am 5'6'' he was 6'7'' 340 lbs, and I wake up to the scenario of the acting out. It was quite scary.

Right now I Have no partner, so sleeping alone ( with several cats ) is where I am right now, which is fine, because I am going through all the perimenopausal symptoms, hot flashes, night sweats, so right now I would not be the best of sleeping partners.

Hmm.

In my last relationship, we would cuddle (her head on my shoulder) until we were about to doze off. Then we would kiss and say goodnight, and reposition ourselves back to back, and entwine our legs, or cuddle our feet for the night.

I too hear something about sleeping patterns/positions revealing a lot about the nature of relationships...

That is EXACTLY what me and my boyfriend do. I can't sleep cuddled up to him completely because its too hot and suffocating, I like my own side of the bed.

If you and your partner sleep in the cliffhanger position, where both partners retreat to opposite sides of the bed, it could be a sign of a troubled relationship.

"They're avoiding a lot of issues, they don't trust each other, they don't like each other, and they haven't found a way to actually communicate their differences," he says.

Another sign of a troubled relationship is when a mate wants to sleep with the family pet

LOL!!!!! Oh well, I guess my relationship is doomed according to this article, since I sleep in a the cliffianger position, with a cat on my head.

Don't they even take into consideration that most pets don't snore, and husbands do? Sheesh!

Too funny.

BellaDonna

Hmmmm, this is all very interesting. When my bf and I stay at my place, we spoon or cuddle facing each other until we're about to fall asleep, then he has to relocate to an air mattress on the floor because he's a big guy and I have a twin bed.... When we stay at his place, we again spoon until we're about to fall asleep,then we do a leg cuddle or one of us ends up retreating to the couch because he snores like a forestfull of chainsaws and I'm a very light sleeper!! On a positive note, he's getting a sleep study done next week, so I'm hoping they can give him one of those Darth Vader-type masks to wear to help him breathe better.....

lol I'm usually the more clingly one We'll start off as me sleeping on my side facing him with my arms and leg wrapped around him while he's on his back. Then we'll switch off between me hugging him from behind while we're on our sides, or vise versa. But usually when we wake up in the morning we'd both be on different side of the bed. I don't like to cuddle when it gets hot though cuz my bf sweats like a hog and I end up getting all wet and sticky!! lol

lol I'm usually the more clingly one We'll start off as me sleeping on my side facing him with my arms and leg wrapped around him while he's on his back. Then we'll switch off between me hugging him from behind while we're on our sides, or vise versa.

same, this apparently shows a healthy relationship, woohoo!.. except me and my partner broke up tonight, so maybe not lol.

I can't sleep unless I'm on my stomach, so I just can't fall asleep spooning with my boyfriend. We usually end up sleeping side by side in his twin bed with his leg on me or his arm around me, or him slightly on top of me... but I don't think our relationship is on the rocks! We snuggle before we fall asleep and in the early morning.