career or love

Whats more important to you?....to have a great career,or to have a great loving relationship.Or are both equally important to you as the lucky ones have both?Can you get by with a good career and no love or have a loving relationship with a so so job?..

I think having a great loving relationship and an ok job would do it for me..I'm not saying a job I hate would be ok though. I don't think you can get by with a good career and no love because that'd be just too boring, noone to share your life/success with. But a loving relationship with a so so job would be ok in my opinion..

I need love. lol. My job is my job, and I only want to make enough money to support myself. I wouldn't work somewhere I hate, but I don't need to work somewhere that I love. What gets me through a stressful workday is knowing that I get to go home to people that love me, and I love in return.

Over the course of my life, I've had times when I was working a job I loved but had no relationship or a crappy relationship.

I've also had times when I've had a strong relationship and work wasn't so great.

Somehow, having the career satisfaction with no relationship is the most preferable of those "one or the other" options.

Fortunately, I've managed to get to a place where I have a job I love AND a good relationship.

I think the turning point to have both at the same time had to do with believing I was capable and deserving of having both.

I don't think these things are necessarily mutually exclusive. Everything that is important in your life should be balanced with each other.

If you are unhappy in your job it could very well impact negatively on your relationship and vice-versa.

I don't think these things are necessarily mutually exclusive. Everything that is important in your life should be balanced with each other.

If you are unhappy in your job it could very well impact negatively on your relationship and vice-versa.

Yup agreed with all that is said here....the key to a happy life is balance....but having said that if u are not particularly career minded then an unhappy relationship isnt gonna interfere with your job if its a so so job or career to you..

Bingo.

DN = Wisdom

It would be better for my career to go and work abroad, but my partner has a good, non-exportable job where we live. I'm not choosing love over career, just love over the optimal career I could have - there's plenty for meto do here, too. What we have is so wonderful I would never put it aside for my career: if things ever go wrong between us i can always go ahead and move abroad then, but if i were to leave him for my career now it would be for good and i'd regret it forever.

The way I see it, you kinda need money to survive unless you find someone to depend on (which I do not think is a very good idea). And since you're going to be at your job a lot, if you aren't doing something that makes you happy, you're screwed. You're just going to get miserable after a while. You will be working almost every week for the rest of your life so you ought to figure out what you want to do career-wise. Relationships come last in my book, but that doesn't mean that you can't have both. Although I have to agree with DN. A bad job can easily screw-up your relationships anyway. And a messed-up relationship can hinder your performance at a job as well. And you can be happy without either, given that you have some method of surviving.

How can jobs mess up a relationship? You mean more along the lines of a bad job putting you in a bad mood, right?

I have always thought that you should be in a tolerable job unless you're on the verge of being homeless... right now I need so much money, but I'm not in a bad place like that. So I'm still picking and choosing. My options aren't so great and I'm a little worried of being unhappy in my next job before my career.

I'm a little afraid of being "complainy" to my boyfriend if my next job makes me crazed.

I agree with Caldus on how they can effect eachother; that's very true.

Well, a career can interfer with relationships if you are a workaholic. Or if you constantly put your career goals before people. Or if you refuse to support yourself at all.

It's nice to be able to spend time with people who we care about.

My thinking is: I work to eat and live my life the way I choose.

Soul-rotting jobs are like soul-rotting relationships: it's not worth what you pay for. Sometimes ya gotta do things to survive, but that's desperate measures.

Of course though I agree that they all affect each other. It's simply personal priorities, eh.