Choosing Between Two Career Paths; Need Your Advice!

Hey all.

So, I need a bit of career and life advice.

I just received an email that said I have been accepted into the Radiology Program (which will be for two years) and I will start in the fall if I accept it. For the next two years, I will be training extensively 70-80 hours a week including clinical 20-30 hours a week on top of lecture and studying. But at the end of the day, I will have a better job awareness and I’ll be making much better money in the long run. I've worked two years for this and was accepted based on hundreds of applications. 

I have to decide by this Thursday...

Some of you already know, that my father recently suffered a stroke. He is living with me for the next six months and I am his primary caregiver. That means that I’ll have to put my studies first. My life will be hellish, but the trade-off for a comfortable and rewarding career would be worth it.

The other option is to start in the Fall pursuing a Bachelors degree in healthcare administration. The school and work load will be less intense and it will give me more flexibility. The skills I learn and the less hands-on experience that I'll get in healthcare administration, might not be relevant or satisfying in the long run — the risk is for an unstable career but more opportunity for remote work.

Dad is thrilled about the Radiology Program, but doesn’t know anything about the Admin option.

At the end of the day, neither of these two career paths are a guaranteed job.

I am just so lost you guys. I can not even explain. Has anyone any advice or thinks some options about choices would be greatly appreciated.

• Thanks 1

Hey @yogacat,

Congrats on the acceptance!! 🌟

1 hour ago, yogacat said:

For the next two years, I will be training extensively 70-80 hours a week including clinical 20-30 hours a week on top of lecture and studying

Is this immediate? Can you postpone the start date one term later? What flexibility would the program offer if you choose to proceed with it?

I think your heart is in it, so you ought to make it work. I would look into any adjustment that can be done to alleviate the time pressure from you so you can care for your father as you enjoy what you do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, yogacat said:

Some of you already know, that my father recently suffered a stroke. He is living with me for the next six months and I am his primary caregiver.

What happens after 6 months? Meaning can he function on his own after that time or somebody else will take care of him? Because Fall is in a few months anyway so maybe you can do radiology without that much obligations toward your dad.

Also I think radiology is way better choice in terms of career. But I do understand if you want to make a sacrifice because of dad. Thing is, if you want to educate yourself and to build a career, its far better to do it early. Afterward, you maybe get the family and kids so it would be much more harder to do it then. But that all depends whether you can or cant pursue something that requires 100 hours a week while also having sick elderly at home to take care of. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Evening Yoga! 🌝!

This is FANTASTIC news! What a great dilemma in a way! A bitter sweet one! 

What does your heart say? 

I for one, if in your fathers position and it was any of my children caring for me, would want them to go at life in their prime and go for something that had plenty of opportunities and made them happy. 

Your Dad sounds very proud and happy for your news - I would take that as an understandable green light to consider yourself first for once Yoga and do what you want! What is important! Loving parents understand and come to terms with the fact their children must move on. 

Personally, I know nothing on the subjects, but radiology sounds great and a fantastic opportunity! Along time ago, I rented part of a large house from a retired female radiologist! She was 93 at the time and had only retired when she was 89! She loved her job and was sad to let it go! 

Congratulations for all your hard work! 

Maybe look into swapping shifts with siblings, or another day or two assisted care? I’m sure if you spoke to your father he would be very happy for you to prioritise this, even in his current condition. 

x

• Thanks 1

Congrats, YC! I'd go for the Radiology program. Dad sounds behind it, and you'll have 3.5 months to monitor his progress and make any necessary alterations in your arrangements for fall. If your Dad knew that you were pulling back due to him, he'd probably be upset about that, especially since he is anticipating recovery.

In terms of post-program work, you'll learn over time whether you want Radiology tech to be your primary focus. If not, you can augment your skills and knowledge over time by taking the Health Admin courses on the side. Then you can expand your focus to running a Radiology network or practice as opposed to operating as a tech.

So you can have it both ways!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, catfeeder said:

Congrats, YC! I'd go for the Radiology program. Dad sounds behind it, and you'll have 3.5 months to monitor his progress and make any necessary alterations in your arrangements for fall. If your Dad knew that you were pulling back due to him, he'd probably be upset about that, especially since he is anticipating recovery.

In terms of post-program work, you'll learn over time whether you want Radiology tech to be your primary focus. If not, you can augment your skills and knowledge over time by taking the Health Admin courses on the side. Then you can expand your focus to running a Radiology network or practice as opposed to operating as a tech.

So you can have it both ways!

I completely agree and add on Bolt's input too.  

Congratulations!!

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, yogacat said:

I will start in the fall if I accept it. For the next two years, I will be training extensively 70-80 hours a week including clinical 20-30 hours a week on top of lecture and studying. But at the end of the day, I will have a better job awareness and I’ll be making much better money in the long run. I have to decide by this Thursday...

It's good you have some time before the course begins. Radiology technicians make good money because of exposure to x-rays.  Most healthcare administrators I know have advanced degrees such as MD-MBAs, if you want to work in hospitals. So it seems like the radiology technician position might be a good fit. 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, DarkCh0c0 said:

Hey @yogacat,

Congrats on the acceptance!! 🌟

Is this immediate? Can you postpone the start date one term later? What flexibility would the program offer if you choose to proceed with it?

Thanks so much!

Both programs I would start in the Fall 2024. If I don't accept the offer of acceptance for the Radiology Technology program, I will have to forfeit my spot and reapply for the program another time. In terms of flexibility, Healthcare Administration offers part-time classes but Radiology Technology is a full-time commitment. I started out wanting to do Radiology Technology, and I've teetered between eventually pursuing Nuclear Medicine or Mammography within Diagnostic Imaging.

7 hours ago, Kwothe28 said:

What happens after 6 months? Meaning can he function on his own after that time or somebody else will take care of him? Because Fall is in a few months anyway so maybe you can do radiology without that much obligations toward your dad.

The goal is to get my father back to the state that he loves (Arizona) after 6 months. I know that's where his heart is and where he ultimately wants to be.

-------------

If I go with Radiology Technology, once I graduate (2 years), I am limited to working in that field ONLY - cannot cross or correlate. If I start with Healthcare Admin, I am able to progress to more advanced roles. 

Specifically, I would love to pursue a degree in Healthcare Admin where I eventually start my own consulting firm, so the degree seems to be more solvent and applicable in the long run. I have always been passionate about healthcare and have always wanted to be in a position where I can make a positive impact on the industry. 

Which brings me to my other question (and maybe some other members can chime in and let me know what their thoughts are?......) but if I choose the Healthcare Admin route, I would love to consult in a niche that is very important to the community (like elder care or advocating for the disenfranchised). I know that is going to require extra coursework on industry topics.

In terms of flexibility in the program, the Healthcare Administration program offers a variety of elective courses that I can choose from to tailor my degree towards my interests and career goals.

Additionally, there may be opportunities for internships or special projects in specific areas of healthcare that align with my passion for helping marginalized communities.

I came across Somatic experiencing, which is an innovative approach to treating trauma. It's a new area that is gaining more recognition in healthcare, and I would love to explore it further. Being part of the Healthcare Administration program would allow me to take elective courses in this field and possibly even do a project or internship centered around it. This level of flexibility and personalization in the program would allow me to pursue my interests and make a meaningful impact in the healthcare industry.

Whereas, if I do Radiology Technology I am limited to solely working in that field and cannot explore other areas of healthcare that I am passionate about. However, I do understand the value and job security that comes with having a specialized technical skill in the field of Radiology Technology.

Can anyone think of niches within Healthcare Admin that are most in need in the community? I would love to explore all options before making a final decision. Thank you for your advice and guidance, it's greatly appreciated!

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, yogacat said:

. This level of flexibility and personalization in the program would allow me to pursue my interests and make a meaningful impact in the healthcare industry. Can anyone think of niches within Healthcare Admin that are most in need in the community? 

A degree in social work is appropriate for that but you may need a master's degree in social work to do what you are talking about. 

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

A degree in social work is appropriate for that but you may need a master's degree in social work to do what you are talking about. 

That's true, a master's degree may be needed for more advanced roles in social work. But the Healthcare Administration program also allows for specialization in areas such as social work, so I could potentially combine my passion for social work with my degree in Healthcare Administration.

Like (and not to poo poo dump) but with my father, he has limited income, some assets, but not enough to where we could hire a full time caregiver for him.

This is a very real and common concern for many families, especially those with aging parents or loved ones who require assistance and care. Healthcare Administration skills and knowledge can be applied to addressing this issue and finding solutions that are both affordable and meet the needs of individuals with limited income. Like, Medicare and Medicaid for example, it's a minefield for anyone trying to navigate the system for their loved ones let alone someone that is recovering from or struggling with health issues to navigate on their own.

Just thinking out loud, and I know there are advocates and resources out there who can help educate and guide individuals and families through the Medicare and Medicaid processes, but I hate seeing the elderly especially being taken advantage of or not getting the help they need because of complex systems and lack of resources. 

This has given me a lot to think about and explore in terms of career options. 

Good for you, yoga! I'm happy for you. I don't have practical advice to give because I don't know the particulars of health care in the states. BUT. Its so awesome to see someone like you pursuing your passion and bringing so much to healthcare. There's such a great need for empathetic and skilled people in the healthcare field. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, yogacat said:

If I go with Radiology Technology, once I graduate (2 years), I am limited to working in that field ONLY - cannot cross or correlate. If I start with Healthcare Admin, I am able to progress to more advanced roles. 

Specifically, I would love to pursue a degree in Healthcare Admin where I eventually start my own consulting firm, so the degree seems to be more solvent and applicable in the long run. I have always been passionate about healthcare and have always wanted to be in a position where I can make a positive impact on the industry

Well, then the admin option has the best of both words: Great career prospects and studying flexibility.

No matter what you choose, you'll be working with what you love. It's really up to you, but it sounds like health admin is a very good option considering your circumstances.

• Thanks 1

The health care field make a lot of $$$ where I'm at, so both options are good. Honestly, I don't really know much about the health care field but I've read your posts and you always came off level-headed, smart and empathetic so I think whatever you choose, any field would be lucky to have you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, yogacat said:

Specifically, I would love to pursue a degree in Healthcare Admin where I eventually start my own consulting firm, so the degree seems to be more solvent and applicable in the long run. I have always been passionate about healthcare and have always wanted to be in a position where I can make a positive impact on the industry. 

Can't you do this sort of thing in a volunteer capacity? (Obviously not now -you are overloaded -I mean in the future).  I mean make a positive impact. You;ll have more of a nest egg right being a tech -also why not get another degree later in life in healthcare admin especially since it can be done part time? I left my first career- teaching -but kept volunteering with children for many years after.  And when I retire -in the distant future-I may again - one of my relatives had a healthcare license and when she retired she volunteered with children at an elementary school (she had focused on children in her healthcare role)

It sounds like it is much harder  to get into the radiology program so I would not give up this opportunity.

• Thanks 1

Hey there, I can imagine how tough this decision must be for you, especially with everything going on with your dad. It sounds like you've put in a lot of hard work to get into the Radiology Program, and the potential for a rewarding career is definitely enticing. But balancing that intensive program with caregiving responsibilities is no easy feat. On the other hand, pursuing a Bachelors in healthcare administration could offer more flexibility, but it's understandable to worry about the stability of that career path. Ultimately, it's about finding the right balance between your career aspirations and your current circumstances. Maybe exploring options for support with caregiving could help ease the burden? Sending you lots of strength and clarity as you navigate this decision.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your contributions, everyone!

I've been struggling with the decision of whether or not to pursue an incredible opportunity in radiology. The deadline to make a decision is 5pm today and I'm feeling the pressure 😬

One of the positives is that if I choose not to accept the opportunity, I can always reapply next year. This might be a good option since my current family situation with my father is a bit unsettled. While I am drawn to the idea of starting my own consulting business, focusing on healthcare administration and assisting those in need, I might also consider doing contract work until I am able to attend the radiology program.

I believe that AI is going to have a huge impact in the field of radiology, and I could have the opportunity to be at the forefront of developing AI algorithms to aid in image readings. However, I am hesitant about the potential of AI replacing humans in this field. I believe that technologists are still crucial in positioning patients and ensuring the accuracy of imaging scans, a task AI may not be able to do just yet 🤔

It's a tough decision, but as of now, I am leaning towards pursuing my consulting business. This will give me the flexibility to take care of my father while also having a fulfilling career. I am passionate about making a difference in healthcare and I believe this is the best way for me to do so.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this matter.

• Like 2

Also keep in mind, as a consultant it may take some time to build up a client base. Many who own their own businesses don't make a profit for months and sometimes for over a year. If you can afford business expenses without a strong income for a while then you should do fine. But do you have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out?

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, yogacat said:

.it's a tough decision, but as of now, I am leaning towards pursuing my consulting business. This will give me the flexibility to take care of my father while also having a fulfilling career. 

Unfortunately it seems like bad timing that you were accepted into the program just as your father is there. There do seem to be alternatives such as reapplying . However there's also the chance to look into some other suitable options for what you describe you want to do, such as socal work .

Starting a career later in life is difficult, especially one with on hands patient care. Not everyone is cut out for the physical and mental demands of dealing with patients who are frightened, in pain and need to be imaged in uncomfortable machines for diagnostic reasons. 

So perhaps this gives you time to decide what what works best for your lifestyle. Paperwork jobs help people as well and may not be as demanding as an on hands patient care position especially later in life. 

55 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Also keep in mind, as a consultant it may take some time to build up a client base. Many who own their own businesses don't make a profit for months and sometimes for over a year. If you can afford business expenses without a strong income for a while then you should do fine. But do you have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out?

Yes, important note there! 

My husband has ran his own business for over 26 years now and employed a few people in his time, but he started when he was still employed and then gradually as it picked up, he dropped to part time hours and then quit altogether. It didn’t take long but he had some kind of back up.

This line of work sounds very flexible Yoga so I am thinking you will be able to bend your hours to suit other things, even when studying? Like accommodating your Dad still and also your job at the moment? 

All the best! This is very exciting stuff! 

x

3 hours ago, Batya33 said:

How hard is to get into the radiology program if you reapply?

It would be merit based, so because I have straight As and when you apply you get points, you take x amount of points and once you hit a certain amount, they take the applicants with the highest points. The thing is, people mostly coasted on Cs and barely made it in with Bs and sometimes barely Cs.

I can also take steps to improve my application since the last time I applied (such as gaining relevant experience or taking additional courses), it may also improve my chances. 

2 hours ago, mylolita said:

Yes, important note there! 

My husband has ran his own business for over 26 years now and employed a few people in his time, but he started when he was still employed and then gradually as it picked up, he dropped to part time hours and then quit altogether. It didn’t take long but he had some kind of back up.

This line of work sounds very flexible Yoga so I am thinking you will be able to bend your hours to suit other things, even when studying? Like accommodating your Dad still and also your job at the moment? 

All the best! This is very exciting stuff! 

x

That's true, I do have some contacts in the healthcare industry and I could potentially look into shadowing or volunteering opportunities to gain more relevant experience. And as for courses, I could take additional prerequisite courses or even try to get certified in certain areas to make my application more competitive.

As for a backup plan, I have income from part-time work and an investment property that I could rely on if needed. Plus, I could always continue working in my current job while building up my own business on the side, if I do decide to take that route.

And yes, the flexibility of this field is definitely a bonus. I could potentially work part-time or on a freelance basis to accommodate other commitments and obligations. Overall, I'm really excited about the potential opportunities and challenges this path could bring.

If I enter into the radiology program, they advise you NOT to work, given the intensity and demands, and while I am bringing in income, that might be difficult for me. 

I also have a family member that built a multi-million dollar business on Amazon from scratch that is willing to mentor me, while not in the healthcare field, I believe the entrepreneurial skills could still be useful.

@Wiseman2 -- yes, the field of diagnostic imaging is very physically and mentally demanding and something I have seriously considered before making the decision to pursue it. I am confident that I have the dedication, motivation, and physical stamina to handle the demands of the job.

But, I do have to take that into consideration as well and make sure I am taking care of my health and well-being in order to be successful in the field. Thank you for bringing that up.

• Like 1

Yoga! 

You sound in the perfect position!!

I would personally just go for it and not worry about the finance side because of your other financial avenues! From any side or way you look at it, things are covered! I think putting off briefly wouldn’t harm but neither would going at this full pelt. The ball is in your court - you hold the power!

x

• Thanks 1

So I went with the Healthcare Admin route. The Director of Science at the school wrote me a lovely email after I rescinded my seat. She said, she caregived to her parents and it was one of the most rewarding things she's ever done. She said when I reapply next year, that she is looking forward to me reapplying and will follow my career closely.

I feel good about it, I already have an interview with a potential first client, albeit, I am still in school so right now I am just focusing on research and will go from there.

The research I am doing right now is particularly in elder care and I am interested in looking into Healthcare Administration, which is basically managing and making decisions that affect the healthcare system.

My goal is to eventually create programs to help families navigate the confusing world of healthcare for their loved ones. The courses I will take will cover healthcare delivery systems, healthcare accounting, healthcare marketing, and healthcare legal and ethical issues among others.

Thank you guys for all the support you've given me, and I will keep you updated on my journey. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1