My Mental Health

I spoke to the samaritans last night, and they basically said they think I'm inactive because I had strong feelings for a girl I worked with during my Master's course and I didn't tell her. Years later, I'm feeling pretty broken up over photos appearing on fb of her and her bf at Christmas.

18 minutes ago, MrHorizontal1234 said:

I spoke to the samaritans last night, and they basically said they think I'm inactive because I had strong feelings for a girl I worked with during my Master's course and I didn't tell her. Years later, I'm feeling pretty broken up over photos appearing on fb of her and her bf at Christmas.

It's great you reached out for help and talked to someone. Do you have health insurance? Please see a physician for an evaluation of your physical and mental health and get some tests done.

Ask for a referral to a qualified therapist for ongoing support. Please try to get regular support and healthcare as well as cutting down on depressants such as alcohol and weed. 

There are plenty of studies linking social media to depression and anxiety. If using it is causing you pain, then cut the proverbial cord and stop. No good comes of looking up pictures of someone you can't be with. It only serves to keep you stuck in the past, reliving the very moments that are holding you back in the present. It won't make everything better, but it's a start.

• Like 1

We would be happy to support you in your efforts to remove yourself from this situation. If you choose to continue to look at her FB profile and to go out socially with her and her husband, it's hard to be supportive of those choices. 

I do hope you choose to leave her behind you and move forward in a more positive way. 

• Like 1

I understand complicaed situations with a girl. It's never easy and is something you take day by day. Some days will be better then others. So realize it's okay if you don't always feel strong or at your best. The key is keep pushing forward, a little at a time. It's about taking the small steps where you can. I think we are all sympathetic to what you are going through, but are limited in what we can do for you. So we are suggesting the one little thing we see that would save you a lot of heartache. The problem with social media is that it's all connected. Even if you aren't trying to see something, it can pop up when you least expect it. Seeing it, especially if you aren't prepared, can bring back a tidal wave of feelings and thoughts that you weren't ready for. That brings on one of the down days and can stop any momentum you had. If seeing her brings out these feelings, it's best to cut out any possible way of seeing her, Facebook included.

Is there anyone else you can speak with? If your therapist is booked, maybe they can refer you to someone else? If you feel you need that level of help, it's probably best to talk to somone as soon as you can. In the meantime, for what it's worth, know that you do have support here. I'm thinking about you and hoping you are okay. One day at a time, little by little. It does get better.

1 hour ago, MrHorizontal1234 said:

I don't go on her profile, nor do I go out socially with her or her bf. I haven't seen her in a few years. These are photos that came up in my fb timeline.

On 1/13/2024 at 3:53 PM, MrHorizontal1234 said:

I'm feeling pretty broken up over photos appearing on fb of her and her bf at Christmas

Do these photos somehow appear on your feed without you two being "friends" on Facebook? I don't see photos of someone unless we're "friends". 

Is this a different woman than the one with the boyfriend you were interacting with a couple of months ago?

Samaritans? 

Also, if her with somebody else brought you down that means you didnt get over her. Which is kinda silly considering its a crush. For example, one of mine got knocked up and married. I didnt act on it because I was a mess back then. So cant really blame her for finding somebody. Its a natural thing to do. Same with you and yours. You didnt act for it so she isnt obligated to wait for you to try anything. In fact, you should be glad that she is probably happy. And that you should maybe find somebody else to be happy as well. 

OK so you had a triggered situation. I suggest you delete your FB account and start a fresh one eliminating any old photos from popping up.  Or completely get off that social media platform. Find a different app and make a new start. It's all about changing your habits to move forward. 

17 hours ago, MrHorizontal1234 said:

If I could see my therapist I would, but she's booked up for the year..

My feelings regarding this girl are very complicated and I'd appreciate some compassion and understanding on this forum.

See a physician and get a referral to a qualified therapist. Please understand that unrequited crushes are not uncommon. However this situation seems to magnify a lot of pain and loneliness you're having. She is not the cause of that. 

• Like 1