Covid and Loss of Taste and Smell...

22 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

My sense of smell and taste has returned 100%.  Yay for that, I can't imagine those unfortunate souls who've lost it indefinitely.  Makes you not even want to eat!  

After my initial symptoms which weren't bad, I got worse and literally felt like I'd been hit by a truck!

The nights were the worst for some reason. My skin was itchy and my whole body ached, once I actually cried out loud it was so bad.  I truly wanted to die.

That's great! 🙂 

Yeah, my sis in laws sister has never gotten her taste/smell back.. I feel so bad for her 😞 . ( from 3 yrs ago).

My kid was off for just a day feeling he couldn't even get up & function.. his boss was same way a day later.. although he did return to work next day. I said to take tylenol and just sleep.. which helped.

Even, up to yesterday, he said his taste is still off. He says it's like the milk is bad and same w/ egg nog.  I tasted them and they're fine, lol.  As for smell, I had a candle burning and he can't smell it apparently.. this is almost 2 weeks in. ( I have not been sick so far).

Illness sucks!  Glad you're doing well. 

On 11/13/2023 at 11:44 AM, SooSad33 said:

my sis in laws sister has never gotten her taste/smell back.. I feel so bad for her 😞 . ( from 3 yrs ago).

Thanks for chiming in @SooSad33and I'm so sorry to learn about your SIL's sister.

Has she seen a doctor about it?

I've been doing a lot of research on it, fortunately mine returned but I was/am still so curious about why it happens.

Every situation is different however I noticed an immediate change after I started using fluticasone propionate.  It's for allergies but there is an ingredient in there that unblocks whatever it is that's blocking sinuses or whatever is preventing one from tasting and/or smelling.  

Also smell training works too like smelling essential oils, I used eucalyptus oil, it worked great!

The thing is you have to start utilizing these remedies immediately otherwise the block will become so severe, nothing will work which may have happened to your SIL's sis.

Only a doctor can unblock with surgery, insurance will pay for the surgery.

Hope that helps!!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

It took me ten days to test negative. But this was before vaccines and treatments were available. 

I'm glad you're fully recovered.

Bolt I was vaccinated three times, and still got it.....  

I have an opinion about that but want to keep this thread going in a positive direction so will refrain from sharing. 

But thank you!  

Sorry to hear that, I'm sure you'll be back to normal in no time.

When I had covid for the first time, I also lost my sense of smell and taste, but I think it gradually came back in about 2 weeks. I did try all the remedies online etc but nothing really helped.

It will depend on people, my sister for example, it took here a bit over a month and even today she claims some things just don't taste the same anymore.

Hang on tight it will be fine 🙂

4 minutes ago, rainbowsandroses said:

I have an opinion about that but want to keep this thread going in a positive direction so will refrain from sharing. 

But thank you!  

Thing is not all vaccines stop you  from totally from getting the illness they mitigate the extreme symptoms. I had 4 shots and still got it 2 weeks after my fourth shot. I was but not deadly sick thankfully. My son was the worst off with the least shots . My mom had four shots when she got it . She has a fatal lung illness but thankfully being vaccinated probably saved her life. She was pretty sick but managed to stay home and do OK. I went and looked after her and she was pretty sick and that’s how I picked it up for a second time however, I barely knew I had it the only way we knew we had it was that my husband went to the hospital for an unrelated issue  and they tested him. We just thought it was allergies. 

58 minutes ago, rainbowsandroses said:

But thank you!  

I was vaccinated 5 or 6. I don’t know if anyone who got it severely and was vaccinated and boosted. Husband and I have never had it. Son had it twice and we were exposed then and I assume a number of other times. Son’s cases were both mild. 

7 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

I was vaccinated 5 or 6. I don’t know if anyone who got it severely and was vaccinated and boosted. Husband and I have never had it. Son had it twice and we were exposed then and I assume a number of other times. Son’s cases were both mild. 

My husband just got his fourth shot because we had Covid Sept 2022 and Jan 2023 and here you have to wait for 6 months after an infection for another booster . So in the summer they said you would be better off to wait for the Fall to boost. My mom this is shot #5. My mother-in-law I think will be getting # 7 and she has never had Covid. 

4 hours ago, Seraphim said:

My husband just got his fourth shot because we had Covid Sept 2022 and Jan 2023 and here you have to wait for 6 months after an infection for another booster . So in the summer they said you would be better off to wait for the Fall to boost. My mom this is shot #5. My mother-in-law I think will be getting # 7 and she has never had Covid. 

Here the recommendation is three months.  Interesting! My mom is 88 -got all boosters,never had covid.

Hi guys, I wanted to give y'all another update cuz I think it's important and not something that's been addressed all that much, from what I've read anyway.

And it's about covid and mental health.  I mentioned earlier I had made a post about my depression due to covid and took it down but thinking now perhaps I shouldn't have.

So.... today is the third week to the day since I got this nasty monster and it's literally the FIRST day I feel all the way better, I am fully recovered!  😀

It's been a tough journey and I seriously didn't think I was gonna make it.  Not from the illness itself but from the impact it had in my mental health.

OR perhaps the illness negatively affected my brain chemistry like any other mental illness, and was another symptom that hasn't been discussed among the healthcare community, I don't know.

But there were nights I seriously wanted to take my own life and not because of the physical pain (my legs mosty); it's hard to describe the feeling, all I knew was I wasn't sure I wanted to live anymore.

Okay so now that I'm fully recovered, I have no idea where my mind was at the time or what drove me to have these horrible thoughts!

My only conclusion is that it was a symptom of the illness and it makes me wonder how many people never fully recover from that symptom just like many people never get their taste and smell back.

It's so scary guys, please take care!  I dunno, I'm tempted to suggest wear a mask in public but that's completely unrealistic although when at the market grocery shopping, I might as I'm fairly certain that's where I picked it up. 

• Thanks 1

You have antibodies from having the virus, so you're fairly well protected for at least a few months (from what my cousin's and my doctor told us).  Of course wear a mask if it makes you feel safe!  People should do whatever makes them feel safe.

My brother was pretty down both times he had it, but it was because he hates being sick and felt helpless.  He works out consistently so he was mad his body betrayed him lol.

I'm glad you're feeling better.

• Thanks 1

They say you are pretty safe for up to 3 months from reinfection. 

There was a poster here who became diabetic after having Covid. I am not sure of the total story though. 

I don’t think they are totally sure all it does to the body yet, but inflammation in the body is the source of many many illnesses. 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...
On 11/19/2023 at 8:28 AM, Seraphim said:

They say you are pretty safe for up t 3 months from reinfection. 

UPDATE: 

Well guys, I tested positive again this week, it's been just about three months.  😔

Symptoms are different, not as bad, thank goodness!  I felt extremely fatigued on Wednesday and Thursday with some dizziness and vertigo, but that's about it.  I already feel much better today! 😀

It's been circulating around my office, which is where I picked it up the first time, perhaps it's a different strain or something, who knows?

Anyway, wanted to give yall an update to say that this monster doesn't appear to be leaving and once you get it, it's possible to get again. 

Hope everyone stays safe and healthy! 

• Sad 1
21 minutes ago, rainbowsandroses said:

UPDATE: 

Well guys, I tested positive again this week, it's been just about three months.  😔

Symptoms are different, not as bad, thank goodness!  I felt extremely fatigued on Wednesday and Thursday with some dizziness and vertigo, but that's about it.  I already feel much better today! 😀

It's been circulating around my office, which is where I picked it up the first time, perhaps it's a different strain or something, who knows?

Anyway, wanted to give yall an update to say that this monster doesn't appear to be leaving and once you get it, it's possible to get again. 

Hope everyone stays safe and healthy! 

I hope you feel better soon! I thought my son had it again in January -turned out to be mono!!

• Thanks 1

I know people have had it three or four times. Meanwhile I've never had it and have barely even had a cold (one time in four years). Odd how things play out.

Guess I'll hold onto my masks a little longer. Evertime I start to think I'm safe without it, someone I know catches Covid.

Hope you feel better rainbows and hope this will be the last time you catch it. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Seraphim said:

Hope you feel better soon. We found our second infection was asymptomatic. 

Thanks Seraphim.  

I wasn't even going to test, but I felt fatigued and dizzy on Wednesday so called in sick; my boss told me another coworker tested positive and that I should check. 

I feel good today, and gonna test again tomorrow, hope it's negative!  I expect it to be. 

• 1 month later...

I'm updating again guys with what's been happening and a question.

Ever since I got Covid the second time, during which I did not lose taste or smell, food just doesn't taste the same!

Many foods I previously enjoyed, I dislike to the point I cannot eat and toss them in the garbage!  

There are only a few things I can eat now that I actually LIKE and it's just so frustrating!

Has anyone else who had Covid experienced this?  It's just the strangest thing. 

I used to love eating salads with my favorite dressing, now I hate that dressing and most dressings, they all taste like **** to me now. 

I have suddenly started really liking Thai food including all types of sushi and have been eating a lot of it, not much else. 

And am super excited because after experimenting with dressing, found one I LOVE that I make myself consisting of Chinese black vinegar (yum!), rice vinegar and low-sodium soy sauce.  

I dip Chinese dumplings or raw veggies in it and it's delicious.  So I'm happy I enjoy that!

I dislike ALL types of bread, in fact I bought what used to be my favorite organic rye which isn't cheap, took one bite and actually had to spit it out it tasted so bad.

For breakfast I have a Ka'Chava shake for nutrition and I do like that, thank goodness!

What the heck is going on?  My doctor said this is common for some people and it could possibly be a forever thing.

Ugh!