Covid and Loss of Taste and Smell...

6 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Hey guys, I tested positive for Covid on Sunday; my symptoms were mild, some sneezing and coughing but not bad, lasting three days.

Yesterday, the third day I began losing my sense of taste and smell and now today I can't taste or smell anything. 

Has anyone experienced this?  It so how long before it returns?  

Thanks! 

I did , yes. It came back within a week. I do know someone where it never came back though. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Has anyone experienced this?  It so how long before it returns?  

I didn't experience this, but it happened to a couple people that I know. I don't know how long it takes--I think it varies from person to person--but in every case their sense of taste and smell did come back.

• Like 1

I was one of the first "kids on the block" to get Covid, in 2020.  Yes, I lost my sense of smell, and that was actually my only symptom.  It came back within a week.  My niece had Covid at the same time, in another state, so we quarantined in our own states and FaceTime'd together.  She had smell but no taste; I had taste but no smell.

In both cases, both senses came back the same as they were.

Be patient, and feel better soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you guys!   It's been 3 days now and I'm kind of getting used to it.  I can still taste the sweetness and spiciness of food and texture, just not the flavor.

So I've been using a lot of seasonings, etc so it's manageable for now.

I also love apple juice so been drinking a lot of it, and can still taste the sweetness if it.  😀

I hope this all ends soon!!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Thank you guys!   It's been 3 days now and I'm kind of getting used to it.  I can still taste the sweetness and spiciness of food and texture, just not the flavor.

So I've been using a lot of seasonings, etc so it's manageable for now.

I hope this all ends soon!!

I hope so too -I was thinking of you!!  

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Batya33 said:

I hope so too -I was thinking of you!!  

Thanks!   I made an update to my post about apple juice, I'm drinking a tall glass of home made right now on ice, it's nice and sweet and I'm really enjoying it even though I can't taste the flavor of the apples.

Hopefully by next week it will come back but till then, I'm adapting.  :))

On 11/2/2023 at 9:38 PM, Wiseman2 said:

Wise, I purchased the fluticasone from Amazon and just received today.  I sprayed both nostrils twice and can breathe better and can smell coffee grounds now ever EVER so slightly.  Still no taste.

I'll be patient, once a day for a week are the instructions, I'll keep yall posted!

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Wise, I purchased the fluticasone from Amazon and just received today.  I sprayed both nostrils twice and can breathe better and can smell coffee grounds now ever EVER so slightly.  Still no taste.

I'll be patient, once a day for a week are the instructions, I'll keep yall posted!

I found from the slightest ability to smell it all came back quickly like within 24 hours. 

• Thanks 2

Update:

So not sure if it's the fluticasone or just me healing naturally but my taste and smell is starting to return.  It's very faint but it's something.

Another weird symptom has developed, my legs feel weak and skin on lower parts of both legs feels super itchy.  I almost fell over last night while walking!

Massaging with coconut oil helped a lot!

I do yoga and pilates so my legs are strong.  I also used to be a dancer, so no other explanation than covid.

Just had a cup of chicken bone broth and tasted it!  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, rainbowsandroses said:

Update:

So not sure if it's the fluticasone or just me healing naturally but my taste and smell is starting to return.  It's very faint but it's something.

Another weird symptom has developed, my legs feel weak and skin on lower parts of both legs feels super itchy.  I almost fell over last night while walking!

Massaging with coconut oil helped a lot!

I do yoga and pilates so my legs are strong.  I also used to be a dancer, so no other explanation than covid.

Just had a cup of chicken bone broth and tasted it!  :classic_biggrin:

Glad to hear it! So -on the skin thing -oddly I just noticed a mild rash above the bruise that is still there from my covid shot two weeks ago - I know I don't get covid from the shot but it's an immune response etc. I hope your legs/skin issues resolve quickly!

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

Glad to hear it! So -on the skin thing -oddly I just noticed a mild rash above the bruise that is still there from my covid shot two weeks ago - I know I don't get covid from the shot but it's an immune response etc. I hope your legs/skin issues resolve quickly!

Thank you for all your support Bat, and everyone, I really appreciate it! 

• Like 1

I continued to see my psychologist during my bout with Covid. I have GAD and was depressed so it really helped to have that support. I also lived with my brother and nephew so having them around was a lifeline.

Please, if you're having those kind of thoughts, please contact a professional ASAP. Also talk to a trusted friend or family member. No one wants to lose you. 

• Thanks 1

Hey guys, I updated yesterday (or the day before) but it was a downer so I deleted it.  I had become real depressed but I'm getting past it now so thought I'd provide a more positive update. 

My sense of smell and taste has returned 100%.  Yay for that, I can't imagine those unfortunate souls who've lost it indefinitely.  Makes you not even want to eat!  

After my initial symptoms which weren't bad, I got worse and literally felt like I'd been hit by a truck!

The nights were the worst for some reason. My skin was itchy and my whole body ached, once I actually cried out loud it was so bad.  I truly wanted to die.

Anyway, I'm better now!   Not all the way, it's a slow process but I can feel myself improving.  My skin no longer itches and my body aches less. 

I've been eating tons which is probably helping too, with nourishment.

Two of my co workers also tested positive but their symptoms weren't as bad as mine.  I'm a fairly healthy person so not sure why it affected me worse but hey I'm better!!!   

Hope everyone stays healthy!!  There is lots going around right now so take care!!!  😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1