Question for the ladies. How many pics on a profile are enough?

So I am thinking of trying OLD again but want to be as appealing as possible of course.  I am a mans man and don't take selfies, not all caught up in my looks but take good care of myself and have a clean appearance.

The question is for women close to my age (59), how many pictures on a profile do you consider enough?

I have a Youtube channel and can take stills off video and also have other pics showing my full body but how many is the right amount? or possibly the question should be what do you want to see in profile pics?

When I look at profiles and a woman has the max amount of pics I feel like she is all full of herself then there are women with just two pics and I feel like they are hiding something.  I could be totally wrong but it is the vibe I get.

Thoughts?

Lost

When I did online dating (2000-05ish) it was less easy to upload pics.  For me - I preferred two pics tops and liked seeing the person's face/smile/eyes.  I didn't care about body type but I did prefer not overweight - I mean a couple of pounds no biggie of course. I disliked photos with vehicles and didn't mind vacation photos as long as up close. Some men didn't post pics - some had good reasons and some did not -some sent photos after.  I'm turning 57 soon!  Good luck!!!

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, lostandhurt said:

When I look at profiles and a woman has the max amount of pics I feel like she is all full of herself then there are women with just two pics and I feel like they are hiding something.  

This makes sense. Maybe a closeup, full length and a couple of candids?

• Like 1

I'm a female very close to your age.  Basically, 2 or 3 is plenty, as long as they're current.

A pleasant smiling facial photo, a photo of you from a short distance, and maybe another one in a hobby (bike riding, dog walking, at a game, etc).  

Beyond that, it's too much, and I honestly click past any profile with more than that.

The worst is the selfie taken from the worst possible angle:  holding the phone in your lap, staring down, no smile, 17 chins.  

Second worst is bathroom selfie, especially the dirty bathroom in the background.  Ick.

Third worst is holding the dead animal.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Batya33 said:

When I did online dating (2000-05ish) it was less easy to upload pics.  For me - I preferred two pics tops and liked seeing the person's face/smile/eyes.  I didn't care about body type but I did prefer not overweight - I mean a couple of pounds no biggie of course. I disliked photos with vehicles and didn't mind vacation photos as long as up close. Some men didn't post pics - some had good reasons and some did not -some sent photos after.  I'm turning 57 soon!  Good luck!!!

Unfortunately things have changed dramatically since then and not for the better. 

I never know which pics of me are the good ones though...

Lost

1 hour ago, Starlight925 said:

I'm a female very close to your age.  Basically, 2 or 3 is plenty, as long as they're current.

A pleasant smiling facial photo, a photo of you from a short distance, and maybe another one in a hobby (bike riding, dog walking, at a game, etc).  

Beyond that, it's too much, and I honestly click past any profile with more than that.

The worst is the selfie taken from the worst possible angle:  holding the phone in your lap, staring down, no smile, 17 chins.  

Second worst is bathroom selfie, especially the dirty bathroom in the background.  Ick.

Third worst is holding the dead animal.

No extra chins   check

No dead animals  check

No bathroom selfie  check  Interesting enough I tend to look in the background very closely at mirror selfies to get a glimpse of their life.  Some are bathrooms but a lot are bedrooms and yikes I have seen rooms that look like the clothes hamper exploded!

Thank for the tips

Lost

3 minutes ago, waffle said:

If I was on OLD apps I'd prefer a creative, well-written profile and skip the pictures.

No pictures will get me nowhere unfortunately and if I see a woman's profile without pics I assume they are hiding something, are married or in a relationship. Physical attraction comes first for most then the substance.

I am confident in my ability to write a really good profile but I have to get them to slow down long enough to read it.

Lost

• Like 2

I dont think your profile bio matters at all, almost nobody reads those. As for pictures the first one is important since you will be "judged" according to that one. The rest, so-so. Lots of them just hire a professional photographer. Who would do you a professional photo op. And pets photos rate highly. Some people even "borrow" pet for their dating app pics. 

What is your youtube channel about?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, lostandhurt said:

No pictures will get me nowhere unfortunately and if I see a woman's profile without pics I assume they are hiding something, are married or in a relationship. Physical attraction comes first for most then the substance.

I am confident in my ability to write a really good profile but I have to get them to slow down long enough to read it.

Lost

I do have friends in professions where they'd rather not post a photo - therapist/professor, etc but I realize it doesn't make a good impression.  

2 hours ago, Batya33 said:

I do have friends in professions where they'd rather not post a photo - therapist/professor, etc but I realize it doesn't make a good impression.  

I did take a chance on a woman that messaged me first that didn't have any pics once.  She worked as a correctional officer for juveniles and since they had internet access didn't want them knowing she was on there.  They figured it out by her profile anyways and harassed her on the site and at work so I get it.

Online dating for some can be problematic for sure.

Lost

My brother has gone on a few dates with an elected official (read: politician). He hasn't even given me, his sister, her full name for obvious reasons. I have no idea if she has profile pics or even used her real name in her profile.

As a woman in her late 50s, I like to see a nice smiling semi-close up, a full body doing some sort of activity and maybe a pic with the kids or some friends. So, three is a good number IMO. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

My brother has gone on a few dates with an elected official (read: politician). He hasn't even given me, his sister, her full name for obvious reasons. I have no idea if she has profile pics or even used her real name in her profile.

As a woman in her late 50s, I like to see a nice smiling semi-close up, a full body doing some sort of activity and maybe a pic with the kids or some friends. So, three is a good number IMO. 

Thanks,

I have met women that are on local news shows and danced and talked but have never seen them on any apps probably for the same reasons.  I don't think they have problems meeting men in real life though.

I have some good close up pics of me smiling, a very recent shot of me in the pasture installing 3 rail fencing and some shots that depict what I really look like.  The last thing I want is to be a surprise when meeting someone for the first time.  I have been duped by old pics or far away shots before and never want to do that to anyone.

Lost

40 minutes ago, lostandhurt said:

The last thing I want is to be a surprise when meeting someone for the first time.

I agree wholeheartedly. That is why I wear almost no makeup and never wore padded bras, Spanx or fake butt or "lifting" pants. What you see is what you'll be getting. And I let my hair go gray (mainly out of laziness lol).

A friend of mine was worrying about "having" to get up super early every morning to do her hair and makeup before her boyfriend woke up when they were planning to live together 🙄I thought that was ridiculous. She didn't end up doing that, BTW, which was good. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I agree wholeheartedly. That is why I wear almost no makeup and never wore padded bras, Spanx or fake butt or "lifting" pants. What you see is what you'll be getting. And I let my hair go gray (mainly out of laziness lol).

A friend of mine was worrying about "having" to get up super early every morning to do her hair and makeup before her boyfriend woke up when they were planning to live together 🙄I thought that was ridiculous. She didn't end up doing that, BTW, which was good. 

Wait what???  Fake butts???  Is that thing?  

Same with breasts. There are some seriously padded bras out there. Not to mention implants (which I do not judge and am not opposed to per se, just not something I would do). 

My friend wore bras that had so much foam padding you could stick a pin in her bra and never even touch her skin. 

As for Spanx, I don't see how women can tolerate the discomfort. I feel that way about high heels too, although I have friends who love wearing them. 

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Same with breasts. There are some seriously padded bras out there. Not to mention implants (which I do not judge and am not opposed to per se, just not something I would do). 

My friend wore bras that had so much foam padding you could stick a pin in her bra and never even touch her skin. 

As for Spanx, I don't see how women can tolerate the discomfort. I feel that way about high heels too, although I have friends who love wearing them. 

Actually over half of the women I have dated after my divorce had breast implants. They were in their 40's divorced with kids so I guess they wanted to regain something. I don't care either way but I am not sure how I feel about fake butts.  I will cross that bridge if I come to it I guess.

As long as a woman isn't way over the top with giant fake eyelashes gobs of makeup and sky high heels I am good.   Everyone wants to look good right?

Lost

4 minutes ago, lostandhurt said:

Everyone wants to look good right?

I feel there are various definitions of "looking good". And that's great because there will be someone out there who appreciates each person's unique look. Mine is sporty casual, but I can rock a pretty dress too. 

One thing I won't do is try so hard to "look good" that I'm physically uncomfortable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I feel there are various definitions of "looking good". And that's great because there will be someone out there who appreciates each person's unique look. Mine is sporty casual, but I can rock a pretty dress too. 

One thing I won't do is try so hard to "look good" that I'm physically uncomfortable. 

I’m reading the novel Good Company. There’s a great part (no not a spoiler lol) about spanx and using the restroom while wearing a particular kind. I never have so I don’t know lol ). I always dressed in a feminine and flattering way for first dates including reasonable makeup but not as my mother would say in a “come hither” outfit. 
also I read all the time about mommy makeovers. No thanks. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, boltnrun said:

I have noticed.  For some wearing their nice pajamas to Wally World is "looking good" while others won't run to the store without an hour of prep.

Lost

33 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

I’m reading the novel Good Company. There’s a great part (no not a spoiler lol) about spanx and using the restroom while wearing a particular kind. I never have so I don’t know lol ). I always dressed in a feminine and flattering way for first dates including reasonable makeup but not as my mother would say in a “come hither” outfit. 
also I read all the time about mommy makeovers. No thanks. 

I am not sure what I would say or do if things went really well with a woman and I started taking her clothes off and found spanks or fake butt jeans.  Awkward 🤔

Lost

45 minutes ago, lostandhurt said:

I am not sure what I would say or do if things went really well with a woman and I started taking her clothes off and found spanks or fake butt jeans.  Awkward 🤔

Lost

Or if she was struggling to use the restroom in that contraption and you heard the striggle lol 

• Like 1