Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

A new chapter

dias

Timesheets done, request for holidays at Christmas submitted, tickets to the UK purchased, we are good to go!!!!

I am feeling f*cking awesome. It's a bright day here, the sun is rising at the moment, weekend ahead, free to exercise for 4-5 hours. 

What does a person want in life? A cup of good freakin coffee, time to exercise and sex. That's it. OK and a big a*s yacht. This is how life should be lived. Work a lot, play a lot.

Damn, I am turning 30 next month. It has been a longggg year. So many things happened. Definitely the best and most productive year of my life. This year has to finish spectacularly. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dias said:

Truth be told 

Love this movie, one of my favourites. This scene is so freakin true. "I want to marry him for YOUR money", what a line hahahahaha epic! And the "Daddy" in front of the dad was really epic too!

Damn, every time I watch a good movie it reminds I need to start taking acting lessons, I like acting so much....

• Like 1

I had a quick walk in London before I came to Newbury. London is nice during the winter. Lots of things to do and see. In Newbury on the other hand there is nothing to see. It's a London commuter town in the middle of nowhere with a lot of traffic (like a lot!). I thought Norwich was not big enough, Newbury is definitely not for me. There is no freakin way I am staying here. 

I am surprised they are not talking about a lockdown since the cases have increased again. Austria imposed a lockdown. I am pretty certain Germany will follow and then other countries too. Now don't get me wrong, I want a lockdown because that means I will continue working remotely for sure. I want to discuss with my manager about the permanent remote option and then I will move somewhere else. If I don't start travelling I will move to Brighton. I don't have any plans yet. It will be a spur of the moment thing. 

I feel a bit strange lately. I found the good job and I got the certificate, I can't do anything else at the moment, I don't have any other immediate goals, I feel a bit empty, I am relaxing of course but still I feel something is missing when I don't have any immediate goal. I am playing around with this business idea as I said, I haven't immersed myself in yet, I want to have a "break" for a month and go all in the next year. 

I never imagined myself as an employee. It feels strange being an employee. I never had any aspirations as an employee. Here I am though, working as an employee so many years now. Of course I like making money and I like working but it is something I am only doing it for survival reasons, it does not really excite me. I want to feel excited about the future, not just do things without purpose or meaning. 

Plus, when you have dedicated your life into being the best you can and chasing your dreams, work is the only thing you have. I don't know anyone in most places. And I don't have the energy to invest in getting to know people when I know I will keep moving around so often. 

I really hope this business idea will lead somewhere......

At least I have a dream....it's my company....

• Like 1

Chin up Dias you are doing amazingly!

You are experiencing the “got what I want and now I am deflated and it hasn’t really fulfilled me” flutters. Wait till you get your yacht, you‘ll go through the same thing. Not dampening your dream or anything but, trust ol’ Lo on this one. Life is funny like that sometimes.

A quote rang true for me years back and is even more poignant in my time of life right now:

“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.”

-Oscar Wilde

Try enjoy the ride. But erm, another quote that is even MORE relatable, especially on this platform…

…”I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself.”

🥲

Lo x

• Like 1

Ffffffff I made a teeny-tiny mistake in production. Who would have imagined it would have impacted the customers who are at the end of the chain? A customer received a message that she made an accident claim (she didn't) and was concerned that someone else was using her personal information (rightfully so).

What happened is I used the wrong column to filter the data and I sent old messages to some customers. She contacted the company (I work in the car leasing sector -  quite an interesting sector by the way) and complained. The Operational Risk raised it as a data breach (how was that considered a data breach I don't understand) and I received a big email this afternoon from a stakeholder asking me what happened and whether I fixed the issue (which I did two weeks ago - apparently this incident happened before I fixed the bug).

He included my manager in the email as well. Hmm he is coming back next week, it will be an unpleasant surprise. Oh boy, I expect he will read the riot act again (if not something worse). Well, I have to suffer the torture since I made the mistake, what can you do...

A female colleague complained to me that our manager is too blunt for her taste and they are not getting along. She told me she is not used to this sort of treatment and all her previous managers were far more gentle with her. She thought it might be because she is a woman and therefore people (mostly men) were more gentle and supportive. He worked as a high paid contractor for 20+ years, he has a different mentality. He has the "you have to get the job done even if you have to work 24/7" mentality.

He is as blunt to her as with everyone else. He puts a lot more pressure on me than on her but I want to get better so I don't mind, for her is just a job so she fights back, I was in a call where they were literally screaming at each other. 

I like my manager although he is a workaholic (more than me) and puts a lot of pressure on me which results to a lot of unpaid overtime. We don't agree in everything but we get along fine and I believe we could actually be friends outside of work. He is a good person. He is from South Africa originally, he is a bit different, he has this Elon Musk style, I do get why she finds him blunt but for me that I don't like the frills it is completely fine. I have worked with South Africans before and they are my favorite people. Thumbs up for the Dutch descendants! Or let's wait for next week when he comes back and gets angry with my mistake to say this lol

What really scares me is that he was on holidays in South Africa and now he got stuck there with the new Covid variant. That means when he gets back he will have to spend 10 days in a Covid hotel which means he will be working 18 hours every day which means I am f*cked as well. At least when he is at home he has his wife to tell him to stop, I can hear sometimes saying that with an angry tone lol*.

*One time we were in a call (only us) without the camera on. At some point I could hear a female voice saying something but the tonality was very sexy, the one women get when they want something very specific hahahaha and then he exclaimed f*ck two times. I thought ok if it's what I am thinking you are really enjoying our call lol

Yesterday I met the girl who organised the meet-up group I used to go in London 3 years ago. She moved to Oxford now, we had coffee and lunch at a nice cafeteria in Oxford city centre, took a walk around the city, visited a museum and then we went back to her house and had dinner and wine with her housemates.

She and her housemates are throwing a small party next Saturday and she invited me. I was planning to visit Monaco on Saturday since it's my 30th birthday and I want to celebrate it in a different way but I think I will join them. I can go to Monaco the week after (if we are not in lockdown until then). It's better to be with people in Oxford than alone in Monaco. Anyway we will see. 

On another subject, I watched Mission Impossible - Fallout, it's boring but I find all the movies boring nowadays. I did like Vanessa Kirby, she looks so similar with the girl I worked with in Liverpool, so so similar, I do believe the girl from Liverpool would have played the role better to be honest, she was a fine actress (and extremely clever).

Ahhhhhhhhhh what a shame, this girl should have been with me. The universe screwed up. 

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

I talked to my manager and he talked to his manager about the permanent remote work option. I told him I don't like Newbury and I want to move somewhere close to the coast and somewhere I would like living like Bristol or Brighton.

Given that the current variant is O we still have many letters till this pandemic is over anyway. He said he understands and it's fine and I can move wherever I want as long as it is in the UK. He does not see himself going to the office ever unless the company forces us. I asked him what if the company decides we need to return to the office. He replied he does not see this happening and the company values me too much anyway so they will find a solution if this issue arises. 

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am visiting Bristol next weekend!!!! I am very happy!!! I can visit every place in the UK and decide where I want to live, from Brighton to the highlands of Scotland. Of course I will spend the summer months in Greece. How cool is that? Damn, these opportunities don't come often in life. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, dias said:

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am visiting Bristol next weekend!!!! I am very happy!!! I can visit every place in the UK and decide where I want to live, from Brighton to the highlands of Scotland. Of course I will spend the summer months in Greece. How cool is that? Damn, these opportunities don't come often in life.

I envy your ability to pick up and move on to wherever. Not just because your situation allows it but your mentality towards it as well. Wish I could be more of a nomad

8 hours ago, hidden_kitten said:

I envy your ability to pick up and move on to wherever. Not just because your situation allows it but your mentality towards it as well. Wish I could be more of a nomad

hahaha thanks, it's not an "ability", it's partly my nature, I like to wander, and partly necessity because I don't like living here. I am looking for the place, "my" place, where I would be satisfied living. 

I wouldn't have left Liverpool if I got a better job there and I could  have stayed there because it turned out I didn't have to go to the office ever. But I didn't know that. I could have found the same job whilst in Liverpool. In hindsight, I don't regret it one bit although Norwich and Newbury were/are not for me. 

I could move back to Liverpool, I am thinking about it, I am hesitant because I believe there is a reason I left Liverpool and going back feels like going backwards. Every time I tried to live in the "past" it didn't go well, it was not what I expected/thought and I was not satisfied. I am trying not to make the same mistake again. By nature we are inclined to stay inside our comfort zone. The problem is, the moment you stop stepping outside of your comfort zone you stop getting better. I want to get better. I don't know what the future holds every time I take a leap of faith but I know I will grow somehow from the experience. 

Major changes still cause me internal turmoil but it gets easier after so many years of changing all the time because I stopped trying  to "control" my environment and having pre-determined notions about the future. Let's say I just wing it.

Car diagnostics of my car in Athens in real-time.

image.thumb.png.a90d8764a1dbe6cf1cf60cf3c3b5a584.png

I have set up a static IP in my router in Athens and I can connect from anywhere in the world to my raspberry PI (tiny computer). Raspberry is connected to a censor in my car and gets the diagnostics and I send the data into the cloud.

Part 1 (technical) done. Moving to Part 2 (technical) the next weeks.

2 hours ago, dias said:

Car diagnostics of my car in Athens in real-time.

image.thumb.png.a90d8764a1dbe6cf1cf60cf3c3b5a584.png

I have set up a static IP in my router in Athens and I can connect from anywhere in the world to my raspberry PI (tiny computer). Raspberry is connected to a censor in my car and gets the diagnostics and I send the data into the cloud.

Part 1 (technical) done. Moving to Part 2 (technical) the next weeks.

What on earth is this crazy gibberish Dias!

Another language here my friend! You are so smart! Smarty pants!

Lo x

41 minutes ago, mylolita said:

What on earth is this crazy gibberish Dias!

Another language here my friend! You are so smart! Smarty pants!

Lo x

hahahaha

When you go to Halfords my dear to check your fancy car they use a diagnostic tool which retrieves all the information the car engine produces https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/electrical-diagnostics/

For instance, if you have a problem with the car engine, they use diagnostic scanners to find what the issue was, when it happened and what the conditions were when the problem appeared. Based on that they fix your car. This is just an example, they utilize diagnostic scanners in many different ways. 

There are small sensors you can plug in your car (all cars after 2001 have port for this) which retrieves information regarding the conditions of your car such as speed, fuel level, engine load etc. You can connect this sensor to your phone (there are many free apps) via bluetooth or WiFi and check the condition of your car. 

What I did was to plug a sensor in my car along with a gps tracker. Then I connected the sensor and the  gps tracker to a small computer (called raspberry pi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi) via bluetooth and sent the data into the cloud. What you see in the image is the data retrieved from my car. RPM, Speed, Fuel level, Latitude, Longitude, Altitude etc etc. 

Anyway, I wouldn't waste my time with this sort of stuff if I didn't have a purpose on my mind. As I mentioned before I am not an engineer by nature, I would prefer working out right now and snorting cocaine and having sex than doing this (which is way less difficult than it seems) but think about this:

What do car leasing companies (or any type of leasing company for that matter) want the most: to monitor the conditions of their fleet vehicles, right? 

10 hours ago, dias said:

hahahaha

When you go to Halfords my dear to check your fancy car they use a diagnostic tool which retrieves all the information the car engine produces https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/electrical-diagnostics/

For instance, if you have a problem with the car engine, they use diagnostic scanners to find what the issue was, when it happened and what the conditions were when the problem appeared. Based on that they fix your car. This is just an example, they utilize diagnostic scanners in many different ways. 

There are small sensors you can plug in your car (all cars after 2001 have port for this) which retrieves information regarding the conditions of your car such as speed, fuel level, engine load etc. You can connect this sensor to your phone (there are many free apps) via bluetooth or WiFi and check the condition of your car. 

What I did was to plug a sensor in my car along with a gps tracker. Then I connected the sensor and the  gps tracker to a small computer (called raspberry pi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi) via bluetooth and sent the data into the cloud. What you see in the image is the data retrieved from my car. RPM, Speed, Fuel level, Latitude, Longitude, Altitude etc etc. 

Anyway, I wouldn't waste my time with this sort of stuff if I didn't have a purpose on my mind. As I mentioned before I am not an engineer by nature, I would prefer working out right now and snorting cocaine and having sex than doing this (which is way less difficult than it seems) but think about this:

What do car leasing companies (or any type of leasing company for that matter) want the most: to monitor the conditions of their fleet vehicles, right? 

Still none the wiser! 

When you have a fairly fancy car you won’t be checking it into Halfords 😉 but! I am not in any sporty numbers anymore! No! Financial burdens and three babies needing to fit along the back with all their crazy stuff means I amble around in a VW van with the extra seats in the back!

Now we live right by the coast and drive a VW it makes us officially… beach people… 🤣

Probably for the best anyway - I’m due in court this month for speeding. I can’t complain.

Anyway, still not English but it sounds very good and very complex and for that I say yes, crack on 🤣

I’m sorry about your lovey lady in Liverpool Dias. I always loved that accent! Is there no way you can reach out to her and get her back? 

Lo x

• Like 1

in the office today, for the first time after 2 years. Damn I like it more than my house. I requested to work from the office everyday until I move. 2 big screens, serenity and I don't have to see the face of my new housemate every morning.

20211202_110205.jpg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, mylolita said:

I’m sorry about your lovey lady in Liverpool Dias. I always loved that accent! Is there no way you can reach out to her and get her back? 

She was never mine to begin with unfortunately. She was/is in a long term relationship. She is from the South originally (Plymouth/South London), her boyfriend is a Liverpudlian that's why she moved there. 

Can't do anything... it happens to be in a good relationship it seems...so many bad relationships around, hers had to be a good one? how unfortunate...

Haven't talked to her for almost a year anyway, it does not really matter anymore, I just watched Vanessa Kirby in the movie and she reminded me of her because they look alike. 

A manager sent me this image congratulating me.

It seems I won a raffle of some sort, I have no idea if it was a raffle that took place yesterday or today and what Santa's gift is. I am on the train to Oxford, I will check my emails tomorrow. 

Coincidentally it's my birthday today lol. Good timing. The infamous 30. I still feel the same as yesterday hahahahaha 

IMG-20211204-WA0000.jpg

Nice pic Dias! I am glad you enjoy working in your office. I wish I had! I didn't have a career like yourself though.

Ahh, she was in a relationship! I did not know that. Okay that adds a new dimension. Well, I guess, you can't meddle. If she is ever single well, y'know what to do!

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Glad you're taking 30 like a champ! You are a December baby like mwah! I am the 18th. 32 for me this month. Lord Jesus!

x

• Like 1