A new chapter

dias

-11 here. It is testing my limits now lol. It makes the weather in the UK look like a heatwave hahaha. I will upload photos when I return to the UK. My grandma is stuffing me with food, probably I would die from a food coma before I return back. Or covid now that I am fat and unhealthy lol

20211226_120402.jpg

20211226_120344.jpg

• Like 1

I forgot to take my camera today, I had to take my gloves off and use my phone which feels like you are about to lose your hands from the cold lol. It's quite a pretty town especially during the summer. Middle size and by the sea. It's one of my favourites towns (during the summer lol).

20211228_125155.jpg

20211228_124946.jpg

20211228_124941.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 12/28/2021 at 6:24 PM, Jibralta said:

Wow, very pretty! Does it ever flood?

No it doesn't really (based on my grandma). It's a beautiful town, it's a major seaport in Eastern Europe since the 13th century. Throughout history it has changed hands many times between Polish, German and being an independent state. I think it was even ruled by Napoleon for one year (but I have to read wikipedia again). 

It's built where the river connects with the sea that's why I love it so much. It is like Liverpool in the UK. I already mentioned my love for the sea....whether in Greece or the UK or Poland or Antarctica.

The old city is so so beautiful. It has this very beautiful central European old architecture. It's like a town you would imagine when you read medieval tales. Definitely one of my favourite towns. I would love to buy a nice apartment on the river but it's quite expensive, 700k euros to 2-3 million. Above my pay grade lol

I will upload photos from the camera on Thursday that I am returning back to the UK. For now just from the phone.

20211230_182647.jpg

Edited by dias

The architecture and planning has a very Germanic quality. Specifically the relationship between land and sea. I never realized that about Liverpool. But actually, now that you mention it, I can recall from your photographs that it has that same condition. Interesting.

Edited by Jibralta
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

The architecture and planning has a very Germanic quality. 

Yes the Germanic influence is quite apparent, to a great degree in fact. 

Old towns (built before WW2) are usually very nice. Not on the same level as the old German towns but quite quaint and pretty. Everything that was built during communism is so freaking ugly and depressing. I visited towns that were built during communism and they are so depressing....like in the movies...I would have to use needles if I had to live in towns like this with these hefty cold winters during communism. If I were born here during communism I would have crossed the German borders illegally to get to Hamburg and would have jumped on the first ship to America. 

Now is soooooooooooooo different. Day and night difference. Nowadays it has very good quality of life. Especially if you earn an upper middle class salary. Definitely worth living here nowadays! And it's getting even better!

• Like 1

Finally in Liverpool and quite happy about it 🙂

I visited 7 cities within 24 hours, 3 in Poland yesterday night and 4 in the UK today. I arrived to the UK at 7am, I went to London, then to Reading to get a PCR test at the clinic, then to Newbury to clean the house, pack my stuff and wait for the covid test results. I got the results (negative apparently), I got on the first train back to Reading, then on the train to Midlands and  from there to Liverpool. Didn't sleep more than 3 hours, I am completely exhausted. 

But before I go to bed I will upload some photos from my last trips. 

Oxford

Oxford.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dias said:

Hopefully along with the love for men she will develop enough common sense not to bounce from stupid jerks to dumbf*cks who will take advantage of that.

I think it will set her up for success. I've found that it's a lack respect for the other person that causes us to settle for stupid jerks and dumbf*cks (of either gender). And her estimation of men may fluctuate with experience, as did mine. But if her predisposition is towards loving someone else, I think she will be fine.

Edited by Jibralta
  • Like 1

Damn, now that I came back from the South again I can see directly the contrast between the North and the South. I've been in the UK almost 5 years, I can recognize the differences. So it's like this: 

UK->England,Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland -> they are all different, yes for a foreigner at first they all look the same but if you live enough here you can see the differences in the culture and people. 

England->North of England, South of England -> I am telling you, different culture, maybe not as strikingly  different like let's say North Italy/South Italy but the differences are quite perceptible. Unlike Italy or Greece though, it seems the more "rebellious" ones are in the North of England. 

Liverpool -> Completely different than everywhere else in the UK. It's a category of it's own. Liverpudlians are the quintessential "I live my life to the fullest and I don't give a f*ck" hahahahaha. I heard on the local radio, Liverpudlians have the highest percentage of Irish heritage in the UK. That would explain the rebellious streak and the cheerful personalities.

The Scouse accent is unbelievable though, sorry, this is not proper English (and that's not (only) me saying that, it's British from the South saying that). It's a funny accent for sure but not a proper accent. The equivalent for me would be listening to Greek Cypriots talking (they have their own Greek dialect), sure it's Greek but completely different Greek. 

I made an extremely silly mistake at work (clicked the wrong button basically) and it f*cked everything up. Like major f*ck up. My manager did not get angry because he likes me but I can't say the same for the business users who don't know me. It affected many departments and it was only a misclick (which I admit it was my stupid mistake). The emails started coming in....................Arggg and tomorrow is a big day...well it would have been a big day....

15 minutes ago, dias said:

I made an extremely silly mistake at work (clicked the wrong button basically) and it f*cked everything up. Like major f*ck up. My manager did not get angry because he likes me but I can't say the same for the business users who don't know me. It affected many departments and it was only a misclick (which I admit it was my stupid mistake). The emails started coming in....................Arggg and tomorrow is a big day...well it would have been a big day....

Hate that when that happens!    Just shake it off.  You aren't the first and won't be the last.

Certainly not IT related, but one time the CEO asked me to send an email the staff specifically located in the corporate office, that we would be providing ice cream to the staff.  They had been inconvenienced in some way (I don't recall)

I sent my team out, who went to two different markets to collect over 100 cream bars. I realized I had inadvertently sent out the email to all 4 regions.  Some located as far as 8 hours away.  I got a firm talking to, while at the same time the CEO seeing the humor in it.  I spent entire day having to be creative and scrambling to provide ice cream to over 200 people all over the state.  It was a long day, to say the least.

I've made more critical mistakes in my career.  Luckily most were taken in stride.  But I get the cringe worthy moment.  Not fun.   Hang in there!

• Like 1

Want to laugh?

I had to send daily reports to the general contractor. It was the beginning of the project so a lot of materials and supplies were being delivered. My company was tasked with unloading the materials. So the daily reports I typed included the word "dock" frequently. Well, in some of the reports I used the wrong vowel and in others I used the wrong letter at the beginning of the word "dock". Use your imagination. And I actually sent these out.

Talk about cringe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Damn, half a day of cardio + 1 hour and 15 minutes weight training with light weights and high reps and still burnt only around 2k calories. 1.5 meal at McDonald's. Damn it would be so difficult if I exercised only to burn calories and not because I love it.

Screenshot_20220122-185832_Samsung Health.jpg

Edited by dias

I am praying for tomorrow, I need all the luck in the world, mentally I am super pumped right now, I need as much good luck as possible, praying to the God I don't believe in. Fingers crossed!

This coworker who is complaining about our manager is still here but her probation period was extended a few more months. 

Last week she complained she is the only one the manager talks to her like that (this is her perspective, I don't agree personally, it is just their personalities don't mesh well). Today she came up with something different, that the manager is curt towards women in general. I am like huh I never noticed anything. He treats everyone the same. I think she perceives some things more insulting than they really are. Our  manager told me on Thursday that I f*cked up (which is true) but I didn't take it personally. Ok, we get along very well so it was like a good friend saying it which is quite normal for guys talking like this. He never said anything similar to women or in front of women during our calls. She used to work with guys that were much more lenient towards women but not everyone is like that, not every guy would cut you some slack because you are a woman. You treat women like women and they are complaining, you treat them like men and they are still complaining, go figure...

Sure women usually are more lenient with me, it's gender dynamics, but it is also mainly because I am always very helpful and polite.  For instance, when I f*cked up on Thursday I deleted many many business reports, it really affected the business badly and the head of the department who is a woman I have worked with before she said it's fine and she asked her team to re-create the reports. I reached out to her and apologized and she told me I didn't need to apologize and I shouldn't beat myself up. Men wouldn't be so lenient usually with other guys. However, there are female and male colleagues who are curt with me, I don't make it a big deal, it's a waste of time. The only thing I care is to get the job done. 

Yes it is in fact true our manager does not like her but it's mostly because she is not on the level he wanted. It's his mistake though, he hired her, he should have seen it during the interview, she wasn't at the level he expected and does not really have the potential. It's not so difficult to see it. I am guessing he didn't have any other choices because no good developers would work with old technologies. I accepted the offer because of my sh*tty choices in the past  and I had to get back to the race one way or another. There was no way I would have accepted the job if I was not in a predicament. Turns out, it's good things happened this way.

I gave a presentation to Jake (the manager from Oxford) and a couple of other engineers about the telematics prototype I created. As I mentioned in a previous post, we can use an obd device to collect diagnostics data from the car in real time. I also attached a gps module so we can track the vehicle in real time as well. We send the data to the cloud and then we can make fancy business reports and build data science models. To demonstrate the prototype I asked my father to go for a drive around Athens so I could gather the data for the presentation. 

For instance we can present the data as time series.

time series.jpg

Or we can see the journey of the vehicle in the mapping. Aside from the location we can see the speed, the RPM, the airflow rate, the fuel consumption and other car diagnostics at any given point in time. The bigger the circle the higher the speed, the smaller the circle the lower the speed. You can see where the car accelerated or slowed down or stopped completely. You could also see the car engine errors although I haven't tried that yet. It's quite cool actually. And an added bonus, jealous people can track their partners hahahahaha I should charge extra for this lol. 

271760778_615918476140967_5205481692024222761_n.jpg

Anyway, now we will see how things will play out, Jake really liked it. I am very very excited and curious, will the idea go down the toilet or is it the beginning of something big? Time will tell. 

Edited by dias