Lied on resume, worried about consequences

Sometimes I wonder why people even post on these forums when I get responses like this. More then likely this is a minor detail which will be overlooked, yet people will go so far as to say to not to accept the job? Why because if I am exposed to confidential information they could prosecute on the basis of what, that I am more likely to leak information because I lied on my resume.

This sort of slippery slope thinking leads me to believe that its makes more sense to be paranoid and not take any chances. I will keep this thread updated with the response on Monday to Justify any of these claims to see how rational they have been. So all these people who keep saying, the offer will get rescinded, you will be fired, etc. etc.

Yet, I doubt anyone of these people has ever applied for engineering jobs and knows how competitive it has been, or how many years I have been studying or how many applications I have sent out. That's cool.

OP, no need to be so rude/disrespectful to members who are trying to help and give advice - after all, YOU did ask for advice/opinions and that's what you got. It was YOU who lied. What kind of response did you hope to get? Did you hope for "Ohh, no problem! It's all good, no need to panic, lying on a resume is normal". ? If you don't want responses that don't suit you, then you shouldn't ask for advice. People ARE trying to help.

Sometimes I wonder why people even post on these forums when I get responses like this. More then likely this is a minor detail which will be overlooked, yet people will go so far as to say to not to accept the job? Why because if I am exposed to confidential information they could prosecute on the basis of what, that I am more likely to leak information because I lied on my resume.

This sort of slippery slope thinking leads me to believe that its makes more sense to be paranoid and not take any chances. I will keep this thread updated with the response on Monday to Justify any of these claims to see how rational they have been. So all these people who keep saying, the offer will get rescinded, you will be fired, etc. etc.

Yet, I doubt anyone of these people has ever applied for engineering jobs and knows how competitive it has been, or how many years I have been studying or how many applications I have sent out. That's cool.

Even if you get the job it still doesn't justify the lie and simply means that either they missed it or this particular employer doesn't care and weighed risks/benefits. Nothing to be paranoid about because the reality is that it's a small world and people talk - so it's not paranoia it's reality. It doesn't matter how competitive it is or how long it took you - same situation here in my job area/field many times over for many many people -still doesn't justify lying to get a job - that's your slippery slope -so should the furloughed employees steal food at some point or lie to get new jobs? Walk a mile in the shoes of the person in your field who will be honest about their backgrounds and be passed over for a job they are qualified for because someone else lies and appears to have more experience. Do you think that feels fair to that person?

I'm not so sure you want to justify "I lied to get an engineering job because it's so competitive and I've been looking for so long". Do you really want to be that person?

OP, no need to be so rude/disrespectful to members who are trying to help and give advice - after all, YOU did ask for advice/opinions and that's what you got. It was YOU who lied. What kind of response did you hope to get? Did you hope for "Ohh, no problem! It's all good, no need to panic, lying on a resume is normal". ? If you don't want responses that don't suit you, then you shouldn't ask for advice. People ARE trying to help.

I was just looking for peace of mind. They sent me an acceptance letter today. I guess that was too much to ask for. Can you close this thread now. I’m trying to figure out if it’s me

Whose being toxic for responding in an honest way or if it’s just other people who are literally just trying to help me.

Telling me negative things when I am already in a negative state of mind doesn’t seem like help to me. . .

I was just looking for peace of mind. They sent me an acceptance letter today. I guess that was too much to ask for. Can you close this thread now. I’m trying to figure out if it’s me

Whose being toxic for responding in an honest way or if it’s just other people who are literally just trying to help me.

Telling me negative things when I am already in a negative state of mind doesn’t seem like help to me. . .

It’s not negative to tell you the truth. You lied and there are consequences.

Congrats on the job offer! I didn't get from your initial post that you wanted reassurance that it was ok to lie on your resume and that your stepfather should have known to lie on your behalf and that his not knowing that was unfortunate. I did get that you were worried about the potential repercussions. That is why I suggested that. Your reactions after that showed me that your values justified your lie -which is far different from "I know I made a bad choice and won't do it again but now I am really worried".

This sort of slippery slope thinking leads me to believe that its makes more sense to be paranoid and not take any chances.

There's a lot of real estate on a scale of 1 to 10 between taking reasonable risks versus lying to potential employers. If you want to avoid paranoia, then stay honest, because there's nothing more anxiety-inducing than going to a job everyday knowing that the HR people who may take time, but may also be very thorough, could be documenting your lie at any moment.

When I was hired after consulting with a major trading firm for a year, it took their compliance people 6 months after my hire to contact me for clarification about a certificate I'd earned years ago for which there was no longer a record after the school privatized.

You can get angry with us for being frank with you, but if you didn't want to hear realistic answers then why did you ask? By faulting us, you're projecting your own conflict instead of recognizing that the problem is NOT in the answers you've received, it's in your attempts to rationalize dishonesty.

When I was hired after consulting with a major trading firm for a year, it took their compliance people 6 months after my hire to contact me for clarification about a certificate I'd earned years ago for which there was no longer a record after the school privatized.

Wow -what a story! I had no idea that after hiring there is still that kind of checking - but I guess your certificate was part of your particular job qualification (i.e. they're not going to still check dates of employment I would think at prior jobs but what do I know).

Wow -what a story! I had no idea that after hiring there is still that kind of checking - but I guess your certificate was part of your particular job qualification (i.e. they're not going to still check dates of employment I would think at prior jobs but what do I know).

Not everything happens in the order we'd predict from the outside. Research can get backed up. This doesn't prevent them from extending offers for positions they need to fill. They can rescind an offer or end employment at any time should something in an applicants file not check out. It even says so in the employment agreements we sign at hire.

Those big fat documents aren't fluff. They contain plenty of protections for employers, and the research they do is designed to protect them as well--and it takes time.

Not everything happens in the order we'd predict from the outside. Research can get backed up. This doesn't prevent them from extending offers for positions they need to fill. They can rescind an offer or end employment at any time should something in an applicants file not check out. It even says so in the employment agreements we sign at hire.

Those big fat documents aren't fluff. They contain plenty of protections for employers, and the research they do is designed to protect them as well--and it takes time.

Yes- I may have signed something like that (although that doesn't sound like anything I ever had to sign) but since i never had anything to hide it was of no concern to me.

Yes- I may have signed something like that (although that doesn't sound like anything I ever had to sign) but since i never had anything to hide it was of no concern to me.

I believe that if your employment agreement is "at will," either you or your employer can terminate ant any time, for any reason (as long as it's not expressly illegal, like discrimination).

I believe that if your employment agreement is "at will," either you or your employer can terminate ant any time, for any reason (as long as it's not expressly illegal, like discrimination).

Oh of course it's at will and I am also not familiar with signing agreements -it's at will -you are hired after you accept the offer.. I was talking about the specific words she was referring to.

Archived