Switch from working for “the man” to working for yourself.

There will also be things like CPR and first aid training for everyone, buying toys, snacks and supplies, making sure there is a bathroom available for the children to exclusively use, background checks for everyone, etc.

I am a bit OCD, so I make lists. Lists of the requirements, the purchases that need to be made, complete with deadlines so you can set an opening date. Then market. Word of mouth is terrific, but you might need to advertise your service at the base, for example.

It could end up being exciting and amazing.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You’ll want to check on insurance prices - both personal and for your business. Self employed people often make more but they have more expenses so it may not be better.

Are you 100% sure you don’t have to register or get licensed? That seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. It doesn’t matter if everyone is doing it

The insurance is $15 a month more. No , I don’t have to liscence.

There will also be things like CPR and first aid training for everyone, buying toys, snacks and supplies, making sure there is a bathroom available for the children to exclusively use, background checks for everyone, etc.

I am a bit OCD, so I make lists. Lists of the requirements, the purchases that need to be made, complete with deadlines so you can set an opening date. Then market. Word of mouth is terrific, but you might need to advertise your service at the base, for example.

It could end up being exciting and amazing.

I already have first aid and CPR as I work in a daycare so it is a requirement . I already have a police check for vulnerable

sector. My husband has CPR and first aid as part of the military that is a requirement . He already has a police check because he works in our centre’s Youth Centre. My girlfriend already has first aid and CPR and police check because she has worked in daycare for 25 years.

Because this is a unlicensed daycare I’m not required to have a children’s only bathroom. And my house only has one bathroom so that’s impossible .

We are also up-to-date on all our vaccinations as per the Ministry of education . I have to be because I work in daycare so does my girlfriend and my husband being in the military has been inoculated for everything on the planet , even things that don’t exist in North America. My son is completely up-to-date on everything even meningitis .

My animals are also up to date on all vaccines including rabies and FVRCP and feline Leukemia .

I have certificates to prove all of ours and my animals vaccinations . And my police check certification and my first aid and CPR and my mental health first aid certification.

I already have first aid and CPR as I work in a daycare so it is a requirement . I already have a police check for vulnerable

sector. My husband has CPR and first aid as part of the military that is a requirement . He already has a police check because he works in our centre’s Youth Centre. My girlfriend already has first aid and CPR and police check because she has worked in daycare for 25 years.

Because this is a unlicensed daycare I’m not required to have a children’s only bathroom. And my house only has one bathroom so that’s impossible .

We are also up-to-date on all our vaccinations as per the Ministry of education . I have to be because I work in daycare so does my girlfriend and my husband being in the military has been inoculated for everything on the planet , even things that don’t exist in North America. My son is completely up-to-date on everything even meningitis .

That sounds challenging with only one bathroom especially if one of the children is ill or still learning potty training. Not at all meaning to be a Debbie Downer -I wish you all the best and know of many people who have in-home daycares as their business.

I encourage you. Sounds like you are considering all the details. It is reasonable to have a late pickup charge (maybe by 15 minute increments, each charge more than the last?). Maybe a multi-day discount? A special (higher) drop-in rate to encourage scheduling but allow for filling empty spots? It's been so long ago I cannot remember how my sons' daycare provider handled things like meals and snacks, I cannot remember how much we brought or what they provided. I think she did take holidays off to ensure her R&R and time with family. (Although, it was a challenge since our jobs required us to work most holidays.) Find ways to simplify the billing and banking if you can.

That sounds challenging with only one bathroom especially if one of the children is ill or still learning potty training. Not at all meaning to be a Debbie Downer -I wish you all the best and know of many people who have in-home daycares as their business.

The upside of that is it simpler to keep track of kids if there is only one bathroom. Potty training in a potty seat works fine, and she could have more than one potty seat.

The upside of that is it simpler to keep track of kids if there is only one bathroom. Potty training in a potty seat works fine, and she could have more than one potty seat.

Yes and there's the issue of easy access to washing hands, having to have children wait if another child gets sick/has an accident in the one bathroom, etc. And having to leave the potty dirty if the bathroom is in use, etc. We have two bathrooms for three people in my family - and I can't imagine only one for 5 children plus her family. Just me.

Yes and there's the issue of easy access to washing hands, having to have children wait if another child gets sick/has an accident in the one bathroom, etc. And having to leave the potty dirty if the bathroom is in use, etc. We have two bathrooms for three people in my family - and I can't imagine only one for 5 children plus her family. Just me.

My in-home daycare providers only had one that the kids used and they did fine. They were great child-carers and amazing at their ability to keep focused on the kids and juggle everything. They had their system and the kids learned and my kids did well there.

My in-home daycare providers only had one that the kids used and they did fine. They were great child-carers and amazing at their ability to keep focused on the kids and juggle everything. They had their system and the kids learned and my kids did well there.

I'm glad it worked there! I was just commenting on the bathroom not on the other aspects of the daycare. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with that situation for the reasons I wrote and because of increased risk of germs/bacteria with only one bathroom (and since kids so often throw things in the toilet, risk of it getting clogged). Of course to each their own and it sounds like she doesn't have to be licensed so it's up to individual parents as to their comfort level with the bathroom situation. I taught in a daycare and taught in school. My child was never in a daycare situation.

Plus my son will be there. He can occupy kids while I sanitize a bathroom plus sick children are required to go home. They must vomit and diahrea free for 24 hours before attending daycare .

Yes, as I wrote everyone has their individual preferences on things like that -not wrong or right especially since there is no license so you won't have someone investigating to see your space and what it has. I personally would not attend. Many others might. Just like some parents would want only environmentally friendly cleaners used, or gun-free, etc. I've seen first hand how particular parents are about daycare facilities - at least daily posts on my moms groups about a whole variety of things including what I wrote - so in running a daycare you will of course have to accept that there is a wide range of preferences and you will get the parents who are a good match for your particular facility.

(as far as the vomit free I agree and I've always adhered to that 100%. I know of other parents who don't and do not inform the facility or the teachers, etc - I saw this happen first hand in my son's pre-k which was at a very well known and reputable daycare facility -her son had vomited that morning "because he ate a popsicle for breakfast" and he was allowed to enter the classroom - I was glad she said something of course but still).

Yes, as I wrote everyone has their individual preferences on things like that -not wrong or right especially since there is no license so you won't have someone investigating to see your space and what it has. I personally would not attend. Many others might. Just like some parents would want only environmentally friendly cleaners used, or gun-free, etc. I've seen first hand how particular parents are about daycare facilities - at least daily posts on my moms groups about a whole variety of things including what I wrote - so in running a daycare you will of course have to accept that there is a wide range of preferences and you will get the parents who are a good match for your particular facility.

(as far as the vomit free I agree and I've always adhered to that 100%. I know of other parents who don't and do not inform the facility or the teachers, etc - I saw this happen first hand in my son's pre-k which was at a very well known and reputable daycare facility -her son had vomited that morning "because he ate a popsicle for breakfast" and he was allowed to enter the classroom - I was glad she said something of course but still).

Gun free. Jesus. Sorry, I forget sometimes!

There's no real benefit in drilling this point home, as it doesn't offer a solution to Seraphim's situation.

I didn’t see a benefit to others challenging me on my preference and opinion and implying that I was criticizing a daycare generally that only has one bathroom. I wasn’t. So each time it was brought up again I responded. I don’t see it as drilling just like I don’t see as drilling all the their points brought up about insurance and hours she would need to be available and whether she’s certain about licensing. All of those points were brought up by others. And I think in a child care business in particular there is a lot of drilling of this kind they goes on because it’s such a personal and often delicate service. And as ive written - indeed “drilled” that I think she is more than capable of and likely will be excellent at dealing with all the particular requirements of parents and she will know who is a good match and who isn’t. Just because one parent might insist on vegan or nut free or pacifiers or specific nap times or more than one bathroom is just part of the general business of this type.

Batya is actually making an excellent business point. Make sure that you do two things. One is create a business plan for yourself even if it's not too formal. Make a list of all the expenses involved, what you need to do, what you need to charge, market rates, marketing, etc. This will help to keep yourself on track in terms of financial goals. Always allow for the unexpected because the unexpected will happen.

Second is make very clear written rules about what this daycare does and does not provide and how. Manage your client expectations and this is truly critical to your success. Not only do you want this in detail in writing, but whoever you take on, you want them to sign off on it and keep that in the file. You'll be shocked at how quickly people "forget" the rules. They don't really forget, they are just hoping to push your boundaries. Make sure that you absolutely don't allow it no matter how tempting it seems. Remember that it's always a slippery slope kind of a deal. If you allow one person to deviate, you'll have to let others too or else people will become disgruntled and resentful very fast. So make certain to create rules you will enforce.

Batya is actually making an excellent business point. Make sure that you do two things. One is create a business plan for yourself even if it's not too formal. Make a list of all the expenses involved, what you need to do, what you need to charge, market rates, marketing, etc. This will help to keep yourself on track in terms of financial goals. Always allow for the unexpected because the unexpected will happen.

Second is make very clear written rules about what this daycare does and does not provide and how. Manage your client expectations and this is truly critical to your success. Not only do you want this in detail in writing, but whoever you take on, you want them to sign off on it and keep that in the file. You'll be shocked at how quickly people "forget" the rules. They don't really forget, they are just hoping to push your boundaries. Make sure that you absolutely don't allow it no matter how tempting it seems. Remember that it's always a slippery slope kind of a deal. If you allow one person to deviate, you'll have to let others too or else people will become disgruntled and resentful very fast. So make certain to create rules you will enforce.

Already done. ;) Already have printed contracts etc.

Archived