Direction in life

Hi there,

I'm a university student looking for help. Basically, I'm a third year nursing student who is on track to graduate next year. However, between semesters this year, I have started to realize that maybe nursing isn't the best career fit for me. Within my first 2 years of study, I wanted to be a nurse so bad. I was so motivated and had no struggle with course load or clinical placements. But half way through this year, all of that changed. I've been so unmotivated and started to dread clinical placement as of late (which I think is a massive problem), it feels like I'm a different person all together now. I don't know if it just from stress between balancing school and my part time job, or if it is a sign I shouldn't be a nurse. I essentially want to be happy in life again but I feel as though it isn't possible with the way life is going.

I basically don't know if I should continue riding this feeling out, look at other career options, or taking a year off from studies to get my head straight. Has anyone felt this way in university before?

How far behind would you be if you took a year off? Would you have to retake any classes to get caught up? I think you should talk to a school counsellor about your options. Could be a year off is a good idea, and then you can decide if nursing is for you or not. Whatever, dont make any hasty decisions.

If I finish this semester and then take a year off, I wouldn't have to re-take any classes and I'd only be a year behind by doing so. If I dropped everything now, I'd have to retake 3 classes but then be essentially 2 years behind. I think I will talk the academic counselor for help tho I didn't really consider that as an option, thanks

I would say to hang in there. A nursing degree is a great credential to have. And there are many different kinds of nurses. You don't have to work in the ER or in a hospital where it's stressful. You can get stable, less stressful hours in a private practice or a day surgery unit. Or you could get certified as a CT or MRI technician with set hours. Or be a pharmaceutical rep, using your medical background to talk to doctors peer-to-peer. And the pay can be pretty good. So hang in there. Just one more year to go.

I'm an LPN and I only took the course because it was a quick way to earn money. I now regret it. Nursing is not for me. To be a successful and happy nurse you have to love what you are doing. I've been through probably 6 jobs in my three years of being a nurse and have hated them all but one. It's very demanding and you have a lot on your plate. Almost every place is short staffed. You have to deal with being cussed at a lot. You have patients that think they are at the Hilton hotel. You have to be able to manage your aids and prepare for them to hate you also for making them do their job. If you work at a nursing home you will have a ton of residents to pass meds too and will be rushed. You will be expected to take illegal shortcuts to get the job done. This is almost everywhere I have noticed. For me it's just not a happy career and I wish I would have done something else.

Everything alliexoxo said is correct. I've been an RN for about 4.5 years and I've absolutely hated every bedside job I've had. I only recently (5 months ago) found a position where I'm training nurses to use our documentation system, so I don't have to deal with patients at all, and am happy. I've regretted my career choice since my first job, every day, up until I started this job. The money is not great, and I've worked all across the US, the 12 hour shifts are exhausting and it takes a full day or two to recover. Patients really do think you're their servant. I've pulled poop out of people's a$$es, been peed all over, people have tried to bite me, scratch me with poop under their nails. I've had to bathe homeless people who haven't showered in Lord knows how long. I've been asked to help men hold their junk while they pee, even though they were perfectly capable. I could go on forever, and I haven't even mentioned dealing with doctors, etc.

My bottom line here is...if you are already feeling this way, you should seriously consider changing majors or taking some time away. You may eventually find a nursing job you like, but you'll have to suffer through at least a year of bedside work to get your skills and experience. Nursing is something you have to absolutely LOVE in order to be happy doing it.

My husband was a nurse for a couple years. He ended up burning out and left the field. The hours, stress, and bureaucracy from doctors (many were total a-holes to the nurses) and hospital managers killed it for him. He was treated so differently because he was a male nurse. Not everyone can do nursing because it is an overworked, demanding job; much like teaching.

He now does Sonography/ultrasound tech. Flexible hours, highly needed field and good money. He LOVES his job.

Patients really do think you're their servant.

I prefer my OBGYN nurse. I have terrible phobias of needles and hospitals and she really calms my ass down. I'd rather her help me deliver my child because she treated me so well when I was suffering/dying with HG. I respect her more than my OB Doctor, who is a complete b***. I blacked out in their office from severe dehydration and exhaustion and my doctor didn't do s***; my nurse caught my fall and took excellent care of me. God bless that woman and the doctor can go straight to hell. I did not hesitate to tell her off once I regained consciousness and I'm glad my husband didn't stop me from doing so.

Nurses rock.

I've pulled poop out of people's a$$es, been peed all over, people have tried to bite me, scratch me with poop under their nails. I've had to bathe homeless people who haven't showered in Lord knows how long. I've been asked to help men hold their junk while they pee, even though they were perfectly capablet..

And I thought the IT field sucks...

I would finish the semester. Giving yourself permission to take time off afterward may boost your spirits as you complete the term. Your tuition covers mental health counseling on campus, so since you've paid for the services already, I'd use them.

I left nursing school after 2 years of working as a nurse's aide. I injured my back lifting a patient with someone who didn't lift. I had also strained it dealing with combative patients. I feared that if injury could derail me while I was youthful and in good shape, maybe I shouldn't center a career on my physicality.

Consider exploring ways that you can volunteer to help people or animals in ways that serve your primary motivations for pursuing nursing. This can take an edge off of any lingering 'guilties' for leaving a helping profession. Over time you'll teach yourself a myriad of ways to be helpful and caring without these skills necessarily needing to be your career focus. Otherwise, you might explore ways in which a nursing degree can be useful in other career choices. Sure, that route requires completing the degree, but you may find yourself willing to return to the program later in life.

Head high, this is the best time to answer these questions for yourself.

Archived