Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What are you listening to? Part 13

pinballwizard

I'm so very impressed by "Disturbed-the sound of silence"

Cannot stop listening to it, at least 10 times in a row every day

It is so haunting and so beautiful!! I first heard it on the Blacklist.... so emotional!

They played that in my spin class last week. But they must have remixed it with a backbeat because the version I'm listening to now has no beat. There's something very familiar about the background music. It's not just Simon and Garfunkel. There's a couple other things mixed in there... can't quite put my finger on it... I remember thinking this during spin, now that I'm re-listening lol.

They played that in my spin class last week. But they must have remixed it with a backbeat because the version I'm listening to now has no beat. There's something very familiar about the background music. It's not just Simon and Garfunkel. There's a couple other things mixed in there... can't quite put my finger on it... I remember thinking this during spin, now that I'm re-listening lol.

Lol! I first heard it on the Blacklist and immediately went to YouTube and have since listened to different versions of it, the live version on Conan o'Brien which is amazing!! and today a version where they removed the music and was just his voice... chills all over!! They call it an a-capella version....

I'm seriously obsessed with this song lol..... so much more than with the original....

e.t.a.. (Sara, I'm not directing this post (below) to you in response--I'm just babbling randomly about what I'm listening to!)

---------------------------------------

I don't particularly like most of Joni Mitchell's music, but yet I'm frequently stunned by her artistic 'power.' I don't know how else to put it. She has a lot of technical skill, and then does really outlandish things with it, and those things work. She's brave, and she definitely has a vision.

When she was 21, she wrote "Both Sides Now." I actually happen to like this song.

In an interview, Joni Mitchell said that she had to grow into "Both Sides Now." She wrote it when she was 21 and took a lot of criticism for it. Not because the music or the lyrics were bad, but because it's silly for a 21-year old to claim that she's seen both sides of love or life. Mitchell felt that this criticism was valid, and when she saw Mabel Mercer perform it some years later she felt that Mercer, who was 30+ years older, did a better job singing it than Mitchell did. She could "pull it off." But of course it was still Mitchell's song and Mitchell didn't stop playing it.

The interview made reference to another version of Both Sides Now, rearranged and performed by Mitchell in her 50s. So, of course I googled it. It's great. Even better than the first. Her voice is much lower with age, and the music has a totally different feel. But I think it's really cool, especially when contrasted with the original version. So, I'll post the original version here, and then the more recent one.

The interview can be found here: