follow up on job application or wait?

If other recent graduates or experienced job searchers have any advice I'd appreciate it. For the past few months I've been sending dozens of jobs applications out and I hear nothing back from around half the companies. My parents and a few friends encourage me to follow up and keep bugging them about the status of the application. Their argument is that it shows you are really interested in the job; but doesn't sending a cover letter tailored to the job description and a detailed resume scream you are interested Also, I thought that mainly applies to part-time retail, food, or customer service jobs where turnover is common. I'm afraid HR will just get annoyed at me if I do and toss my application, that's why I don't follow up most of the time. Should I be following up instead? What has been your experience in following up when applying for jobs? Thanks!

I'm guessing it varies from field to field, but I've been applying for jobs and included carefully crafted cover letters + application and heard back from maybe 15% at best. So I'd say a 50% rate is excellent. I know it's discouraging to feel like you're submitting these applications into a vacuum! I felt the same way but I kept persisting and after a few weeks of virtual silence I heard back from one place, got an interview, and then got a job offer. After that I was asked for 5-6 more job interviews; it seems that there's a small window of time when they interview in my field. Maybe the same is the case with yours and you'll suddenly hear back from more people?

I don't think know about hassling HR. In my case if it was a job I really wanted I tried to find the contact information of a relevant person (i.e. district manager) that I could email my cover letter directly. Or if it's a job in your town you could drop by and just say you wanted to introduce yourself. I did that once and they were very friendly. But again, it depends on the field if that would be appropriate...

Your parents grew up in different era. They could probably walk into a building and request to see a "hiring" manager. It is not the same these days with electronic communication and high security. The best way get a job is if you know someone in the company. This applies to almost every company.

It is now possible to send out hundreds of resumes a day. You can point and click all day and end up with nothing, so unfortunately quantity doesnt mean a whole lot here. Having someone you know pass on your resume to the right person will get your foot in the door. Maybe you should ask friends and acquaintances of they know of a company hiring in your industry.

Well, if you're not getting resumes, it's either, you aren't qualified, and do not match the profile the position needs, or two, your resume is so all over the place, it's not highlighting you well at all.

I probably review over 2000 resumes a year, and if you have one typo, that makes me go, "NEXT!"

It goes either way and depending on the place of employment. Sorry, I know that answer doesn't help you.

I do some hiring for my department. I don't mind one follow up but more than that, annoys me.

On the other hand I recall my son applying for job. This was retail and there was sign posted. He turned in his application and no doubt it got tossed into a pile.

He went back a few days later and asked to speak with the hiring manager and walked away with the job. Had he not done so he wouldn't have gotten it.

Sounds like you are applying for larger companies. If you know they are still hiring I would send your application again.

I know my HR department definitely gets annoyed with phone calls. If you have a contact email, one follow up is sufficient.

It depends on a number of things. If you get an in-person interview of any sort, wait a week then follow up with a brief thank you email for the interview and how interesting it was to learn what Company X did. That's it. No demands, no "did you look at my resume" just a simple, "Thank you for the opportunity, I found your company fascinating and especially enjoyed the (put personal detail in here)."

That shows a recruiter you paid attention and have manners. It may also be enough to put you to the top of the list--I've landed jobs before doing that.

If you're just applying for part-time work at a fast food joint, that's a different story. They get bombarded and honestly what works better is to become a familiar face and be around, get to know the staff, chat them up. Then one day when Linda or Bob or Sue doesn't show up for work you can say, "Hey, you have an applicant in front of you and I know the place, can I help?" Sometimes they say no, but sometimes they say yes. And voila you have the job!

It's a balancing act, but personalizing yourself to the company and it's people tends to help you stand out from the herd. And that's what you want. Tossing emails and phone calls of the "Did you look at my resume yet" when they don't even know you will get you rejected. I know, I used to be a manager and hated the feeling of someone trying to strong arm or bully me into taking them on. But yeah, the people who sent me thank you notes, who showed they had paid attention to my company, who got the name and what we did right--those were always at the top of the list to be hired when we needed someone.

Focus on following up with those who have reached out to you or that you've interviewed with. Getting a 50% interview rate is huge, so the bigger question for you is perhaps what's happening in the interview that job offers are not coming forth. Your resume is hands down getting results and way better than average.

Generally speaking, don't waste your time calling those who have not reached out to you. It simply means that they are not interested in what you have to offer and went with different candidates. Calling to follow up is not going to change what qualifications and experience they are looking for, which invariably go much deeper than what is in the job ad.

lol I should clarify. It's not a 50% rate of getting an interview, it's that at least half the companies I applied to were kind enough to email me and tell me I wasn't chosen as a job candidate. Especially government jobs. Most departments have let me know within 1-2 months of applying.

I don't think know about hassling HR. In my case if it was a job I really wanted I tried to find the contact information of a relevant person (i.e. district manager) that I could email my cover letter directly. Or if it's a job in your town you could drop by and just say you wanted to introduce yourself. I did that once and they were very friendly. But again, it depends on the field if that would be appropriate...

I've considered doing this by googling the contact information of hiring managers or searching for their profile on LinkedIn before but wasn't sure how to go about asking for their help. They may even be a hiring manager at a different branch. It might be worth a try at this point.

It depends on a number of things. If you get an in-person interview of any sort, wait a week then follow up with a brief thank you email for the interview and how interesting it was to learn what Company X did. That's it. No demands, no "did you look at my resume" just a simple, "Thank you for the opportunity, I found your company fascinating and especially enjoyed the (put personal detail in here)."

That shows a recruiter you paid attention and have manners. It may also be enough to put you to the top of the list--I've landed jobs before doing that.

If you're just applying for part-time work at a fast food joint, that's a different story. They get bombarded and honestly what works better is to become a familiar face and be around, get to know the staff, chat them up. Then one day when Linda or Bob or Sue doesn't show up for work you can say, "Hey, you have an applicant in front of you and I know the place, can I help?" Sometimes they say no, but sometimes they say yes. And voila you have the job!

It's a balancing act, but personalizing yourself to the company and it's people tends to help you stand out from the herd. And that's what you want. Tossing emails and phone calls of the "Did you look at my resume yet" when they don't even know you will get you rejected. I know, I used to be a manager and hated the feeling of someone trying to strong arm or bully me into taking them on. But yeah, the people who sent me thank you notes, who showed they had paid attention to my company, who got the name and what we did right--those were always at the top of the list to be hired when we needed someone.

A lot the research about job hunting I've done says the same thing: it's good to follow up an interview with a thank you note/email and saying how much you enjoyed learning about the company. That makes perfect sense. The next time I land an interview I'll be sure to do that. Thank you for clarifying about part-time jobs and bugging them after applying. Even my roommate was giving me the same advice about following up, and it sounded more annoying than productive for the type of companies I was applying to.

It really does seem as though resumes drop into a black hole, and you've no idea if yours ever reached its destination, much less was considered. I applied online to a company once, and heard nothing. A few months later, I was recommended to this company by a peer, and got an interview. I mentioned sending in my resume, and they'd never received it. That was a few years back, so maybe electronic resumes have improved since then, but really - we just don't know.

I've gotten better results on link removed than anywhere else, simply because those ads often have a direct contact person.

I think it was Forbes that recently published an article suggesting job searchers use Linked In to find people employed at companies you want to work at. Establish email communications with them, asking about the company and explaining why you'd like to work there. If you can impress these types of contacts, they may be willing to present your resume to HR directly, even if they aren't prepared to recommend you.

Archived