Migraines during pregnancy making me feel hopeless.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I have recently found out I am pregnant. According to my doctor I am about 8 weeks along. I have always had issues with chronic debilitating migraines. It was bad enough before the pregnancy dealing with them because I would get them so often. I have prescription medication (triptans) and they would help me function and get through the day, but nothing more than that.

However, since learning of the pregnancy, I am not able to take those medications. Nor am I able to take any NSAIDS (advil, etc.). The day my husband and I found out about the pregnancy I got a migraine and because I was not able to take my pills, the migraine ended up lasting 4 full nights, and 5 days with almost no relief during that period.

During that period I also went to the ER twice. The first time, all they could do was give me an IV with saline and Tylenol. It worked for the hour that I was actually at the hospital, and then when we left it came right back. I went back the next day and they couldn't do much more than that. They sent of a referral for me to see a neurologist, gave me some anti nausea meds and a prescription for Tylenol 3. T3s are considered a Class "C" drug in pregnancy (as are my migraine meds) but they are a bit safer since the only danger involved with the T3s is that if I get addicted, the fetus does too.

They worked somewhat, but not nearly as well as my migraine meds, and the migraine held on for two more days before finally going away. During that time, I also did not sleep more than an hour each night for four nights solid. I sat out on the couch, clutching a pillow in sheer agony, unable to nod off because of the pain. I couldn't even lay my head against a pillow because it hurt too much. I also missed two days of work.

The following week, I got another migraine which held on for another two days. Again, same thing.

I went to my neurology appointment on Tuesday and unfortunately that was no good either. She was impressed by my level of knowledge about my headaches and all the triggers I was aware of, etc. but there is nothing that can be done while pregnant.

Everyone I have spoken to has said they might lessen and go away eventually, but so far that has not been the case. In the last 3 weeks I have had 3 major headaches with no relief or no ability to treat them. I am battling one right now and it is severely affecting me. In the past, I would take a pill and it would make my day difficult but manageable. Now, I cannot treat them at all, and I am worrying about the time off work I might end up taking and how that is going to affect my job, not to mention the sheer pain of it for 9 months straight.

I just feel really hopeless at the moment. I am in a lot of pain and no way to deal with it. I have tried every natural remedy under the sun and can't afford things like therapeutic massage, etc. The ONLY thing that works is my meds and I can't take them. I don't know how I am going to make it through.

I feel for you I definitely do. I just finished a cluster that went on and off and on and off for four straight days.

Yeah unfortunately while pregnant there's not much you can do. The only thing you might be able to do is go on to sick leave.

I know for me personally the medications would just leave me too afraid of what they would do to my baby. I never had migraines my first pregnancy but I did in my second one. So I feel for you.

I feel for you I definitely do. I just finished a cluster that went on and off and on and off for four straight days.

Yeah unfortunately while pregnant there's not much you can do. The only thing you might be able to do is go on to sick leave.

I know for me personally the medications would just leave me too afraid of what they would do to my baby. I never had migraines my first pregnancy but I did in my second one. So I feel for you.

Thanks, I appreciate the empathy. Sadly there is no sick leave available and even if there was, we couldn't afford it. I just don't know how I am going to get through it if I am getting these kinds of migraines once a week.

I am so sorry, this sounds horrible.

I took a Class D medication during my pregnancy as it was decided the benefits outweighed the risks. Have you seen your OB yet or just a GP?

If it is affecting you this much, this debilitating, it may be that the benefits > risk.

I am so sorry, this sounds horrible.

I took a Class D medication during my pregnancy as it was decided the benefits outweighed the risks. Have you seen your OB yet or just a GP?

If it is affecting you this much, this debilitating, it may be that the benefits > risk.

My family doctor is my OB. She has been helping me deal with my migraines for about 17 years (she has been my doctor since I was an infant. She helped my Mom through her pregnancy with me). She knows my history inside and out and backwards and she advised against taking the meds. I know she did that because as a doctor she has to. And my husband and I read all the studies on my meds and why they are listed as a class C drug. Technically, they are a class C only because there is not a lot known on the affects of the drugs on pregnant women (understandable since you can't do lab tests on pregnant women). Testing on animals revealed that with rats given doses 200 times what a human would receive caused birth defects. It's VERY unlikely that the meds would cause any defects or a miscarriage, but the risk is still there.

My doctor said that after 12 weeks I might be able to take them if the migraines are bad enough, but the neurologist I saw advised against it. For me, personally I don't know. Sometimes the pain is so bad that all I want is relief. At the same time, I don't know if I could live with myself if doing so caused some kind of harm so I have so far refrained.

When it came to the ER doctors, I seemed to have more knowledge on the meds than they did. The doctors I saw either didn't know at first it was a Class C drug, or they had to look up the studies themselves (the ones my husband and I read) to figure out why. Makes me somewhat lose faith the medical system when I can google the answers same as the doctors.

With a lot of medications, they become "safer"(or pose less risk) after the first trimester. It doesn't open up a huge world of meds, but there are a few more paths. I understand the hesitancy and the anxiety. I worried as well. We were fortunate that we experienced none of the associated risks/problems.

Is it possible that you may be experiencing some sinus issues along with the migraine, worsening it? I ask because I had really bad sinus problems during pregnancy. I think it's even such a common phenomenon it's called rhinitis of pregnancy. I wonder if maybe you could use a neti pot and try treating it from a sinus POV - That maybe it could take an edge off. Just throwing stuff out there, I wish I had better advice for you.

With a lot of medications, they become "safer"(or pose less risk) after the first trimester. It doesn't open up a huge world of meds, but there are a few more paths. I understand the hesitancy and the anxiety. I worried as well. We were fortunate that we experienced none of the associated risks/problems.

Is it possible that you may be experiencing some sinus issues along with the migraine, worsening it? I ask because I had really bad sinus problems during pregnancy. I think it's even such a common phenomenon it's called rhinitis of pregnancy. I wonder if maybe you could use a neti pot and try treating it from a sinus POV - That maybe it could take an edge off. Just throwing stuff out there, I wish I had better advice for you.

Yeah my Doctor said the same thing, that after the first trimester it might be OK. The neurologist said it was not a good idea though. I don't know if I will be able to hold off if they keep continuing like this.

I am experiencing sinus issues, but I also know my head well enough to know what the migraine trigger was. In the case of the last two migraines, they were definitely weather pressure related. This one is a result of not getting enough sleep last night (I tried, but kept waking up). I know the "feel" of the migraine and that tells me the cause. In this case it is definitely lack of sleep.

The neurologist did give me a prescription for a numbing agent for my nose that she said is a long shot, but might help (lidocane). I can't fill the prescription at a normal pharmacy, so I have had to wait to do it. I am going to try today, but I have my doubts as to how well it will work.

I appreciate people just empathizing. My husband tries, but he can't understand the constant pain or the desperation I feel when they migraines get to be too much and now with seemingly no relief. It's horrible.

Can you take Benadryl(diphenhydramine)? That was pretty much the only sleep aid they recommended to pregnant women when I had sleep issues. It was on my 'safe meds' list as well as recommended to me.

Yeah I can try it. I just thought it was just for allergies.

I actually use it now(I'm not pregnant) in conjunction with something else as a sleep aide. Diphenhydramine is the active ingredient you want, I know they make some antihistamines that don't cause drowsiness. Run it past your OB, but I know it is a Category B.

I actually use it now(I'm not pregnant) in conjunction with something else as a sleep aide. Diphenhydramine is the active ingredient you want, I know they make some antihistamines that don't cause drowsiness. Run it past your OB, but I know it is a Category B.

I will give it a shot. Can't do anything about the weather change related migraines sadly though. I just wish they would go away. So many people seem to have stories about their migraines going away when they got pregnant. If anything, it has made mine worse.

Did you ever think of going to a natural path for a natural remedy? Would be a good time to consider since a natural solution wont interfere with your pregnancy. And, congratulations!

I have tried every sort of natural remedy under the sun unfortunately. From magnesium, to fever few, to everything in between. Nothing has worked. Nothing except the meds I now can't take.

First, congrats on the baby! Second, sympathies on the migraines and constant pain!

My suggestion is that if you can't take migraine medication directly, look for other ways to try to reduce the triggers and/or cope with the pain. They must have some safe pain meds to use during pregnancy? the additicion thing really isn't a factor if you just save the meds for the worst times and don't take them day in day out for the whole pregnancy. The way you might want to look at it is the stress hormones from the pain might be as damaging to the baby as any pain meds that are safe in terms of no birth defects.

You also might want to buy some relaxation DVDs or CDs that have soothing sounds and noises in them to take your mind off things. I get horrible tinnutis sometimes which can be so distracting i can't deal with it, and listening to certain music and sounds can really trick your brain into relaxing some. If you're just living inside your own head with the pain and no distractions, it gets worse. I bought some DVDs that have oceans and rain storms and fish swimming under the ocean where you can either listen to nature sounds or soothing music that are great. You can look for CDs/DVDs that assist with sleep... those are the soothing ones.

First, congrats on the baby! Second, sympathies on the migraines and constant pain!

My suggestion is that if you can't take migraine medication directly, look for other ways to try to reduce the triggers and/or cope with the pain. They must have some safe pain meds to use during pregnancy? the additicion thing really isn't a factor if you just save the meds for the worst times and don't take them day in day out for the whole pregnancy. The way you might want to look at it is the stress hormones from the pain might be as damaging to the baby as any pain meds that are safe in terms of no birth defects.

You also might want to buy some relaxation DVDs or CDs that have soothing sounds and noises in them to take your mind off things. I get horrible tinnutis sometimes which can be so distracting i can't deal with it, and listening to certain music and sounds can really trick your brain into relaxing some. If you're just living inside your own head with the pain and no distractions, it gets worse. I bought some DVDs that have oceans and rain storms and fish swimming under the ocean where you can either listen to nature sounds or soothing music that are great. You can look for CDs/DVDs that assist with sleep... those are the soothing ones.

Unfortunately the ONLY pain meds that are safe during pregnancy is Tylenol which doesn't help me in the slightest. I am not worried about getting addicted to T3s, the problem is that they really don't work all that well.

As for the triggers, I already do everything I can to reduce potential migraines. I didn't drink before the pregnancy (because alcohol is a trigger), I never drink caffeine (another trigger), and I try to get a full night's sleep (though last night didn't end up doing so well on that end). The stuff I can't control are what is causing the headaches - pressure changes in the weather and the flood of hormones.

To be honest I have never found nature sounds to be all that relaxing, plus with migraines any noise is pretty awful - even supposedly soothing noises. Total quiet is way better.

It's just awful having my medication in front of me, and not being able to take it.

Thanks for the sympathies and congrats!

Congrats!

Unfortunately I have nothing to offer since I am not pregnant, but I do feel you on migraines. I got severe attacks when I was on birth control. My husband and I are planning to try for a child in a few months and this has been our top concern about getting pregnant because of my past medical reactions to birth control medication.

Therefore I have a question for tvnerdgirl: Have you taken birth control prior to your pregnancy? If so did they ever trigger your migraine? Or was it just something you had all long?

OP- I'm sorry you're feeling so awful! (babies (well, embryos and fetuses) can make things pretty tough hey? I had a killer headache Fri-Sun of last week right after getting a positive test and I found that peppermint oil mixed with lotion was a big help, as well as a nice hot magic bag, and lots of steam up my sinuses. I can't say I've had a migraine before, but maybe something in there will help. Have you looked into acupuncture? It's supposed to help morning sickness, so maybe it can help migraines too. Congrats on the upcoming little one

I have a textbook that talks a bit about headaches during pregnancy. It basically states that acetaminophen is safe during pregnancy, NSAIDs are avoided late in the third trimester (pregnancy category D at more than 30 weeks), so it actually appears more dangerous to take ibuprofen later in pregnancy than earlier, though it probably is safest to avoid it altogether. Opioids are second line agents and should not be used chronically because they can lead to dependence in the mother and acute withdrawal in the infant after birth. If nausea/vomiting is a problem, some antiemetic agents are safe and may be used. Corticosteroids may be needed for intractable headache relief. Prednisone and methylprednisone are preferred, as they are metabolized in the placenta and do not expose the fetus.

There's not many options but perhaps talk to your doctor about corticosteroids or possible short, low doses of opioids if it is unbearable even after prednisone. And while people often think that the most dangerous time to take a drug is early in pregnancy and that you are a bit more "in the clear" close to the end of the pregnancy, it really just depends on the exact drug. Definitely do not take an NSAID late in pregnancy.

You sound very knowledgeable of your health and your medication options during pregnancy so I'm not sure if there's any new information here anyway.

I was on birth control prior to the pregnancy. At first my doctor put me on a brand with a lower dosage of estrogen. My migraines got WAY worse, so she put me on what is colloqiually known as the "mini pill" because it only contains the hormone progesterone. I was able to take that for 5 years. The migraines didn't get any better, but they also didn't get any worse.

I don't have any good advice but just wanted to say I feel your pain. I suffered with really awful tooth infections with my first pregnancy. It was the worst pain constantly and all I could take was paracetamol. It was very hard to deal with it and it did feel hopeless. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I don't have any good advice but just wanted to say I feel your pain. I suffered with really awful tooth infections with my first pregnancy. It was the worst pain constantly and all I could take was paracetamol. It was very hard to deal with it and it did feel hopeless. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Thanks! I appreciate the sympathy. It helps.

Archived