Who actually TRULY enjoys their work/job?

I recently read a thread here on ENA where an OP stated what they did for a living and then posed the question of asking what people "do"? While scanning through the replies, I gleaned that most of them were office based roles (i.e. 9-5, sat at a desk all day in front of a computer). I've done these kind of jobs as well, in various industries and locations and never found them fulfilling in the slightest. I am curious as to why it is some people purportedly "love" this kind of work.

I can understand someone who is directly involved in an artistic capacity (not sitting in a cubicle), those involved in medicine and/or medical research, university scholars, even, let's say....game show hosts, finding pleasure in their jobs. Since the majority of people have jobs that involve sitting at a desk all day, I'm curious to know how many of you actually enjoy it. I don't and never have. I've been fortunate to work in very diverse roles and industries, but still find it's been monotonous and not stimulating. When I hear people say they "love" their job, I'm a bit skeptical when I learn they're an account manager, project coordinator, admin something or other etc. It seems disingenuous to me, but to each their own. So am I the only one who does not enjoy this type of work and wish that there were a more satisfying way to make a living??

I am an Office Manager.

I have my own office, can run the place when my Boss is on leave, have good rapport with all my workmates and customers, am treated very well, good salary, great hours - 8am til 4.30pm, close to home, lots to keep me busy, so yes, I can say I love my job as it is a culmination of all these things that add to my enjoyment.

Just because you don't like something don't knock it

I found out early that sitting at a desk all day made me want to die. I work in events. I do lighting and sound for theaters and music venues. I wouldn't say I -love- it. If I didn't have to make money I would do other things with my time but I do really -like- my jobs. JOBS. I have many of them. not working 9-5 might mean you often have to piece together a life with a lot of different jobs. It's a ton of work and you don't get time off for being sick and if you get hurt your screwed. I lost three weeks of work from a bike accident. I have zero job security, I don't know how much money I will make in any given month. But I don't deeply hate my life... which is what I feel when I work sitting at a desk in an office for 40 hours a week. I feel pretty happy with my life. I like making my living this way. But I don't plan on having kids. I'm not even planning for retirement. I am living day to day making art (I teach and I'm a writer as well as designing for theater) and doing work that doesn't feel evil. If you don't want to be a part of the 40 hour office work week you've got to hustle and be comfortable with a lot of discomfort. For me it's worth it because I feel like my soul is dying slowly and painfully at a desk job.

I am an Office Manager.

I have my own office, can run the place when my Boss is on leave, have good rapport with all my workmates and customers, am treated very well, good salary, great hours - 8am til 4.30pm, close to home, lots to keep me busy, so yes, I can say I love my job as it is a culmination of all these things that add to my enjoyment.

Just because you don't like something don't knock it

That certainly sounds like a great set up and very convenient. I'm glad that you enjoy it.

I was not/am not "knocking" this type of work beyond stating that I myself don't enjoy it. I'm simply posing a question/topic to better understand the reasons why people enjoy the 9-5, office based work at a desk with a computer, etc.

I work in project management, primarily an office job so to speak. I certainly don't love it but it allows me to have a life that I love. Ironically before reading your post, I was talking to a colleague who also loves his job (again, in an office). He loves his job because it's comfortable, pays well, he's good at what he does, it allows him to maintain a comfortable and happy life outside of work, and there's job security. Honestly, I see nothing wrong with that.

I don't particularly enjoy my job but I LOVE my life outside of work and I wouldn't be able to have those luxuries without that job.. Yeah there are more exciting jobs out there but they may not have the security, pay, flexibility and convenience that my current job offers and I'd likely have to give up parts of my life outside of work to have this other "amazing" career.

That certainly sounds like a great set up and very convenient. I'm glad that you enjoy it.

I was not/am not "knocking" this type of work beyond stating that I myself don't enjoy it. I'm simply posing a question/topic to better understand the reasons why people enjoy the 9-5, office based work at a desk with a computer, etc.

Then perhaps sayng you find people who claim to love their "desk jobs" disengenuous...was not actually what you meant?

If you don't want to be a part of the 40 hour office work week you've got to hustle and be comfortable with a lot of discomfort. For me it's worth it because I feel like my soul is dying slowly and painfully at a desk job.

I have similar feelings about office work. It was like my soul was being crushed on a daily basis. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and input - very interesting.

Well I'm a computer guy. I sit in a cubicle currently, had an office just a few years ago. I work the old 9-5 and I enjoy my job. Love is a hard word to say cause I don't live to work... but my job now is based off what's always been my hobby. It's something I've been doing for decades and I still enjoy it as much as I did when I first started. So in a lot of respects what I do has never really felt like work to me.

Then perhaps sayng you find people who claim to love their "desk jobs" disengenuous...was not actually what you meant?

My skepticism regarding people who "love" their office based desk jobs is a personal opinion just like every statement on ENA and certainly not "knocking" office based desk jobs.

Skepticism is not an opinion...it is a judgement!! Lol.

How YOU feel about desk jobs is an opinion.

BTW...I love my job. As I manage money for other people, it involves a multitude of skills, one of which is sitting behind a desk for a few hours a day.

So many people sort of fall into their jobs. Doing what they thought they should do after studying at university, or selecting a profession to satisfy their parents. Or, during recessions, doing whatever they can.

Helping people choose a career is something that should start in high school. Not just interning but really guiding people to choose careers that they love and will allow them a decent lifestyle. There are so may people who do what they do by default.

I envy (but in a happy way) those who could figure it out early.

OP, I can see where you are coming from. Since the recession, there are many people who take jobs simply to pay the bills and not provide much satisfaction.

I am a project manager as well and I really love my job.

I work for a committee of people that do high level policy and strategic work in the area of economic development. My role is to write the project briefs, do the research, commission consultation and talk to heaps of people in person and by phone to bring together the money to fund the work.

A lot of the work is desk based, but I'm thinking, I'm talking, I'm creating and I'm meeting interesting, strategic and creative people in a similar field to me.

Skepticism is not an opinion...it is a judgement!! Lol.

How YOU feel about desk jobs is an opinion.

BTW...I love my job. As I manage money for other people, it involves a multitude of skills, one of which is sitting behind a desk for a few hours a day.

Mhowe, in no way, shape or form am I judging those who currently engage in this type of work. I've done it myself for many years and despised it. You are fortunate that YOU do enjoy this type of work, and feel passionate enough about it to debate semantics. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

So... I guess i have a desk job. I'm a medical researcher, but right now, about 90% of my work is sitting at the computer and writing, analyzing data, writing code, etc.... I go through weeks where I enjoy it, and sometimes I don't. I do miss doing bench work, and but I still do it from time to time. Sitting all day can be hard on your back, so I try to take frequent breaks, walks, get massages etc.... It's not a 9-5 job. It depends. Today I was 9-9. The day before, I worked 10-5. Depends on the day....

I'm one of the older people on this site....and back when i was a kid...living on a farm, I didn't know or have too many choices of job opportunities. My mom and her sisters were teachers, until they got married. All my Aunts on my dads side, were house wives. But i always knew a few things early on in my life. I did NOT want to be a teacher. I did NOT want to be a nurse. I did not want to be a secretary....and sit in an office. There. Those were my choices. Fortunately, by the time i was in second grade, i knew...or was leaning towards 'doing hair'. I LOVED it. I always laughed and said i knew i could either be a hairdresser...or an Avon lady.

In my 20's, while being a hairdresser, i also became interested in massage. But at the time, the only um...massage people...where...ya know...! Later (late 80's) my boss decided to license her shop to include massage....and i started doing that. Years later...i had kids and quite work after my second child. Then went back to massage school at the ripe old age of 50! I am now 60 and love my work. Hair...and massage. I have been self-employed for the last 23 years...so no boss to boss me. But I'm also not making loads of money! But when i'm working...I'm happy!

I currently have a fast food Job but I like it. Love, no. Like yeah. It's not a very high paced place so that's probably why I don't hate it yet lol.

I'm going to school to be a cosmetologit (hairdresser) and I can say without out a doubt that I'll love it.

Archived