Scabs on my scalp, halp!

Fudgie

I live in an area that gets really cold, snowy winters. I have a problem in the winter with scabs on my scalp. Not dandruff, just scabs. Ick.

Here's what I have tried:

1) Anti-dandruff shampoo. This didn't help at all and it actually made me feel pretty bad because it dried out my skin. I use moisturizer on my face and body to keep things feeling good in the winter and this shampoo just dried me out all over.

2) Pantiene shampoo. This is what I normally use and it makes my hair look good when I blowdry, but it doesn't help my scabs.

3) All natural no-parabens, no-sulfate, no-lather shampoo. I tried this and it didn't really seem to help my scab problem PLUS it made my hair look unwashed and dirty even though I washed and dried it. Weird.

Thoughts?

I had that happen one time My doctor gave me a liquid medication to pour over it a few times a day until it healed (it took a few weeks)...and it hasn't happened since.

If you wanted to try an at home remedy first, I would rub oil in my scalp every night for a week and sleep with a shower cap on it...and wash it out in the morning...and see if that helps...

but I really think a doctor is the best bet.

I have had this issue for years.... To be able to clean the scalp really well, I rinse after shampoo with white vinegar and then water. After that you have to keep your scalp moisturized.

I have tried all sort of medications from dermatologist and nothing worked better than vinegar..but be warned it may sting a little. Also helps to get your hair all shiny

I use a conditioner but I don't use it on my scalp. I'm worried it will make my hair greasy even if I rinse super well so I haven't done that. The oil makes me concerned about that as well.

It's just weird because I'm not seeing/feeling ANY flakes at all, just scabs! It's gross.

Is ACV (apple cider vinegar) okay or no? That's the only kind I have right now because I use a little with a clay mask 2x a week for my face.

When I get weird scalp issues I do the following:

Wash my hair with conditioner. Weird, yes. But it will clean your hair if you leave it on for 20 minutes. There are mild surfactants in conditioner, they clean the grease without drying your scalp. I have fine, thin hair that needs to be washed everyday and I have no issue with using this method--I do not end up a grease ball. I use Tresemme Naturals Radiant Volume conditioner for this (it's free of anything that might weigh the hair down--silicones etc.), I have tried others but this one is the best I have used. My hair is soft and clean after and it helps my scalp chill out. Just slather it on your hair and scalp and massage it in, pop on a shower cap for twenty minutes and then massage again and wash out. I do this for a few weeks and it helps.

Also I make a hair mask too that I put on once a week, it is a combo of that same conditioner, a spoonfull of raw honey, and a glop of pure aloe vera gel. Then I warm it up a bit and put it on, pop on a shower cap and let it work it's magic for about an hour.

Payday today so it looks I'll be picking up some shower caps when I make my round of store stops today after work. I am willing to give the conditioner a try and work it into my scalp. I guess if it makes me greasy, I can just rinse it out and not do that again, right?

Sounds like something I can try when I use my clay mask 2x a week or so. I just sit and chill out for 30+ min as I watch my shows with it on.

Ya some conditioners didn't work for me, avoid anything that has words with -cone at the end in the ingredient lists. I found conditioners meant for dry hair were bad for me, because they are loaded with more moisturizing things that do weigh the hair down. Look for something for thin or fine hair or for volume boosting.

The current stuff I use is volume boosting. I don't use things for "dry hair" because yes, happpy, that was my same experience. Weighs my hair down.

I have medium length/longish hair that is very fine but I have lots of hair. So thin hair but lots of it!

ITIC,

I get eczema every year above my lip in the wintertime. I do use a lot of Vaseline (smear it on at night, go to sleep, wake up and it's all better) which is gross but it works. Of course, can't really do that with my scalp.

Maybe I need a rx for something. I wish I knew what the drug name was....

Fudgie, I also rotate the kind of shampoos and conditioners I use. My body is sensitive so if I use the same one all of the time I get something similar.

When that happens then I tend to use something like Neutrogena clarifying shampoo or the Neutrogena T9 dandruff shampoo if it is really bad. That seems to help. The vinegar idea sounds good- I might try it. My parents used to use vinegar on me when I was little.

I live in an area that gets really cold, snowy winters. I have a problem in the winter with scabs on my scalp. Not dandruff, just scabs. Ick.

Here's what I have tried:

1) Anti-dandruff shampoo. This didn't help at all and it actually made me feel pretty bad because it dried out my skin. I use moisturizer on my face and body to keep things feeling good in the winter and this shampoo just dried me out all over.

2) Pantiene shampoo. This is what I normally use and it makes my hair look good when I blowdry, but it doesn't help my scabs.

3) All natural no-parabens, no-sulfate, no-lather shampoo. I tried this and it didn't really seem to help my scab problem PLUS it made my hair look unwashed and dirty even though I washed and dried it. Weird.

Thoughts?

It's the sulfate in most shampoo that is causing the problem. Try using a shampoo that contains NO sulfate. Your hair won't lather as much...but gets just as clean.

It will make your hair silky and smooth and I can almost guarantee that your scabbing issue would disappear too.

Worth a shot IMO. Wen is good and so is Keratin. Both can be purchased on line, but I am sure your local salon and even some stores like CVS carry shampoo with no sulfate.

I have not had much luck with non-sulfate shampoo. It made my hair feel dirty and greasy even though I washed it out thouroughly and dried it.

That's too bad...it works great for me but I guess everyone's hair is different. It did take awhile though before I figured out how to make it work for me..

I only use a little and mix it with my regular shampoo. When I use Wen I don't need conditioner as it contains both shampoo and conditioner.

With others (Aveeno Renewal is also good), I mix it with just a tiny bit of my regular shampoo and then my normal conditioner. I use a clarifying shampoo once a week.

Sulfate is not good for your hair OR scalp...very very drying....

Can you wash your hair less, Fudgie? It will look greasy for a few weeks...but eventually things adjust. I only wash my hair once...maybe twice a week (like if I use products I have to wash it more). I have very fine hair...but it takes 30 minutes to blow dry because I have so much of it....and it never looks greasy. I do have to back comb (tease) it though to get volume

I use pantene too. And that purple stuff that my hair dresser makes me buy

I used to suffer from a really itchy scalp before switching to non-sulfate. Now NO itchy scalp!

But if you don't like the way your hair feels...then obviously it's not right for you.

Another thought... how about using an oil based treatment on your hair at night? I put argon oil on my hair and scalp (and skin) and leave it on overnight. Then wash out in morn with your regular shampoo.

Argon oil works wonders!

Can you wash your hair less, Fudgie? It will look greasy for a few weeks...but eventually things adjust. I only wash my hair once...maybe twice a week (like if I use products I have to wash it more). I have very fine hair...but it takes 30 minutes to blow dry because I have so much of it....and it never looks greasy. I do have to back comb (tease) it though to get volume

I use pantene too. And that purple stuff that my hair dresser makes me buy

Great idea...use dry shampoo in between...it will look less greasy and kinda refreshes your hair in between washings.

That's what I've used before, shampoo with salicylic acid. Oh it really dries my poor face out ad didn't solve the scab problem.

Faraday, I take a shower and wash my hair everyday. When I do it less, does that mean that I just shower everyday but not shampoo my hair everyday?

No worries on the food bit. I don't eat chips or fried food as it makes me feel sick. I haven't had nuts in a long time either.

Vinegar won't colour my hair, right? I am a dark brunette. I don't use hair dye, it's just my natural colour but I don't want to bleach by accident.

I had something like that and it turned out to be a combination mold and fungus allergy, which kicks into high gear for me in winter/wet weather. My scalp and my eyes bear the worst of it, so annoying. To that end yes, vinegar rinses helped tremendously. White is best, apple is fine too though not quite as good. Just understand you'll smell like salad oil for a little bit then it dissipates. Tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner helps, Paul Mitchell has a good one or I just add a bit of liquid tee trea oil to whatever shampoo I'm using. CAUTION: Do not get the stuff in your eyes whatever you do. 'Nuff said. Vinegar either for that matter.

I also stopped having the scalp issues when I ended up using a dog antifungal shampoo for a puppy with skin problems. I know, I know, and it's not something I would normally do, but I ran out of my regular shampoo one day and was desperate. My hair never looked better and the scalp cleared right up. That's what gave me the ahah moment about it maybe being fungal in nature and I tried the tea tree oil.

Now if I could just find something that stops the eye irritation...

And no, vinegar won't color your hair. You may want to just try one thing at a time and see what works best for it if you've already been to a doctor and they couldn't find any causative factors.

T-Gel sucks and stinks1

Get Nizoral 2% or try Neutrogrena S/Sal Scalp build up control.

Stop using Pantene. Try a different brand or go with professional haircare.

Try this

link removed

link removed

Do mask when you're at home - olive oil, honey, egg and rub it in your scalp cover in cling wrap and let sit for a couple hours before washing everything out with Nizoral or that Neutrogena.

I feel like a dumba__, guys. For the first time in years, I actually worked my conditioner into my scalp. I always used it on my ends but never my scalp. I was doing it in the shower yesterday and I kept thinking "this feels wrong I'm going to end up with greasy hair this is a bad idea what am I doing this is crazy" as I worked in the conditioner.

Now I woke this morning and I only found 1 (one) scab. No more. All others are gone!

Archived