Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

" In a box not a bottle" Asperger's revealed

Seraphim

So last night on The National ( our national nightly news ) they had a little blurb about autism . Most of which served to make me angry only because of my personal view . But I did learn a new thing and that they have determined there are 100 different kinds of autism . And that there has been a scientific project at Sick Kids in Toronto called, The Missing Project. Apparently they have been mapping the genomes of families with autism . They have found some where it is genetic within the family and somewhere the mutation just happens naturally . I believe their study pool is 10,000 families . At some point I might have joined that study . Now I don't really care . It is not going to change the outcome so who cares . I know a lot of people do want to know though . And what's really interesting is that they have partnered with Google and the results are uploaded to a cloud within Google so that other researchers can check out what is being done and help .

...whoa, that's awesome. Maybe I should have my family join as we have 2 confirmed cases in one generation, and possibly more, as my father showed symptoms when he was younger and is still profoundly socially inept at times and disconnected. He thinks he probably was high-functioning but learned to navigate life and excel in his career.

Very interesting...

I do know that parents with high IQs are more likely to have offspring with autism.

Both my husband and I have high average IQ to above average. So whether that added to it or not I don't know . They have determined our son to be low average though . But one has to remember these are IQ tests for neurotypical people. And if you talk to him really talk to him he's extremely original and I can't believe that he's low average . It's only because he has some pretty severe learning disabilities not the autism that really makes him low average .

I wonder how he'd score on a sort of IQ test that is better for people with autism and such. My sister has taken a traditional IQ test and she scored 80 I think. Her actual capacity to learn is far beyond that. She knows how to do a lot of things and she has amazing recall and can apply what she knows to real life situations too. But the test is not geared toward those who have autism and other learning issues so I don't really take those results seriously at all.

I don't know about my mom for sure but she is VERY smart. My dad has a near-genius level IQ. My brother has been tested and he is in the "genius" range. I was tested in my teens and I scored highly as well but not genius range.

My son scored 93 on the traditional test . He has adapted to severe disability quite remarkably so obviously he can't be lower average . That would make no sense . He is also incredibly verbal in that if you tell him things verbally he "gets it ". In fact the psychologist who did his testing said he is extremely unusual for an autistic person in that he is quite verbal . In that he learns almost exclusively verbally . So he is extremely difficult to test and very difficult to know where he stands on the global scale . They pinned it at 93 because that's all that they could determine with the present test . But his global cognitive abilities were extremely difficult to measure because he learns verbally not written down . But if we think about it this way what do we do with societies that have oral histories or are just oral . Do we consider them low average intelligence , well heck no .

He has a great capacity to learn as well . I really don't believe he's low average . He is just an oral learner. Whereas I learn by seeing . Which is more traditional .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I find it painful to look at the old photos/videos of my sister, to see that she was a "normal", happy infant girl and then around 2-3, her expressions begin to fade away and she began to come non-verbal. It's really sad to see. The change was slow and even by other folks' standards today, my parents "caught it" early but there was still that period of time that you could see that something was kind of wrong but we didn't really know what was going on.

People used to say about non-talkers, "well, he/she is just a late bloomer. He/she will talk later. It will come. It will happen. he/she is just quiet. He/she just doesn't know what to say. He/she is just shy".

We know much better now.

Yeah ,it is really hard to watch them lose expression . And of course back then I knew absolutely zero about autism . In fact I don't think I've ever heard of it . We got a computer in the early 2000's though . People kept saying to me you know he's not normal right ? Even though I didn't want to believe it I started looking up things on the Internet and pretty early I came to the conclusion that he was autistic . But these pictures are hard to see because it's all there . He was expressionless or not using his eyes .

Vic, Medicaid is paying for diapers! You have no idea how thrilled I am right now. We are still so very far away from potty training. We got the first shipment today. He basically outgrew pull ups and we were going through so many because of how much they leaked with the fit, but I didn't know what else to buy. Omg, so thankful.

Vic, Medicaid is paying for diapers! You have no idea how thrilled I am right now. We are still so very far away from potty training. We got the first shipment today. He basically outgrew pull ups and we were going through so many because of how much they leaked with the fit, but I didn't know what else to buy. Omg, so thankful.

I bet!! You must be so happy!!! Diapers are an absolute mint and pull-ups even more because you get so few for the price. Hopefully, one day M can put it all together in his brain. They all develop at different ages of course .

Has he started returning to school slowly ?

His behavioral therapist and I came to the conclusion that we need to work with his anxiety before he returns. It's too great again. He likes the idea of school, but when the reality of it comes to light he gets too freaked out. We actually have therapy this Saturday. I don't think I can ever feel comfortable sending him to that building, myself. Her mother(the therapist) works for an agency that employs personal aids for kids in special ed, so she should have resources for me when we go see her.

184 diapers a month and underpads for night time! Oh my gosh you don't even know the level of thrill I feel. It's a 12 month script and 2 boxes and 1 box of underpads are delivered at the beginning of each month. Just to check things out though, I asked his ped to send him to a urologist in a couple of months to rule out any physical issues.

Wow! Yes, you would be happy!!! I don't even know what diapers cost here anymore I will have to look. I gave a fast look at the Walmart page and pampers cruisers I'm not sure what size but the box was $67 . Omg. Yeah! You would be happy.

It is hard when they have that severe anxiety about leaving their parent or someone that they know really well . They want to do things the things that everybody else does . You are an awesome mom so he will get there.

On another note my boy ordered something different at a restaurant !!!! Yay!!!! Instead of fish he ordered crab cakes .

They're expensive. It was the main reason I got a membership at Sams Club, so I could buy bulk at a good price.

Yay! Has he had crab cakes before? Gosh I wish M would eat fish. The only thing I can order him at a restaurant are french fries. And even then if they are overcooked he won't eat them.

They're expensive. It was the main reason I got a membership at Sams Club, so I could buy bulk at a good price.

Yay! Has he had crab cakes before? Gosh I wish M would eat fish. The only thing I can order him at a restaurant are french fries. And even then if they are overcooked he won't eat them.

He tried a little bite of mine one time . Thankfully ,for us he has always adored fish . He generally loves meat of any kind but that took until he was three or four . When he was small I just brought peanut butter sandwiches with me everywhere because that's all he would eat . But it's great he tried something new generally we only get them to try something new every couple years or so . And it was his own decision this time !!!

Yesterday too he asked me how I was without any conversation about that!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...