Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

" In a box not a bottle" Asperger's revealed

Seraphim

My son does not have epilepsy but his aunt and 2 second cousins do. There are A LOT of neurological differences in my husband's mother's family . ADHD, EPILEPSY and I'm sure they're probably are autistic family members but we just would never know about it .

Hell, I've known this woman for 27 years and a few months ago I just found out she had a stepmother . I found out not through her either but her sister .

Vic, I was so proud of M today. We went to the park for TWO hours, and he did not run off and followed the rule of holding my hand to and from home. All I simply said was 'rules, M' and he would listen. Then when transitioning back to home, we made it a game of looking for treasures on the way home(found a pencil and some rocks, lol). No arguing, no meltdowns. I went on the slides with him. It was just really good.

We also raced a passerby in a wheelchair. When he saw her, he ran giggling. She said oh no, he got scared of me. I said I dont think so. He came back and said "Let's race!", so it was his way of initiating play and then he actually verbalized it when he realized that tactic didn't work.

Just so proud of him today and wanted to share.

Oh my. Yeah I don't remember them going until a little older, maybe 8 or so. I think until then they stayed home. I went out still but with friends and their folks.

My sister liked the doorbell part. She would always dash up, ring the door bell, and then try to walk away. She never cared about candy.

I miss my dad telling us really scary, awful stories to me and my friends on Halloween or around Halloween. I would get scared and one of my oldest friends would always act so tough and make fun of me for being scared.

Years later, I found out that he was never able to sleep when he got home because of those damn stories. But he won't admit to it now.

Good times!

That's interesting and it makes sense. My boyfriend has a nephew with aspergers syndrome. I can see the anxiety on him, so I leave him alone. I know that I prefer to be alone when I am feeling anxious. But sometimes I wonder if I'm being rude to him. Now I think that I'm probably doing the right thing.

There was an autistic girl at my stable years ago. She was maybe 11 or 12 years old. Her mom used to drop her off there because the presence of the horses soothed her. I didn't realize that she was autistic until she came up to me one day and tried to kiss me. I was totally startled and knocked her back a couple of times. Not hard, because she was a child. Basically a rising block that caused her to take a step back each time. Her sisters showed up and explained that she was autistic and liked to kiss people. I wondered if I should apologize to the girl, but she actually seemed pretty unphased by the whole thing so I left it alone.

I've actually met quite a few people on the spectrum. Each is different. One guy I met while collecting information about hurricane damage. He was very friendly, and very direct. He ran several unusual businesses (stamp collecting and high tech educational products among them). He also spoke very loudly. He was actually one of the best interviews that I had because he was so exacting and specific, and there wasn't a lot of emotional digression. Once, during my conversation with him, I made a generalization about something and he called me out on it. I wish I could remember what it was! He was absolutely right though, and I appreciated it because I myself prefer to be exacting and specific.

They say riding horses is very helpful to the autistic brain. The motion does something.

Yes, some auistic people are loud. Some are robotic like my son. Some are sing song. Some have no clue about personal space or being inappropriate sometimes. Some like my son HATE physical contact.