"My Skinny Summer" Weight Loss Journey

Tanzi

2lbs when you're only 140 is great. I follow Dr Perricone's diet and he raves about chia seeds. He recommends a good way to curb a hunger is to mix some chia seeds in water and leave for a little while. They form a very translucent like paste which when you drink it alleviates hunger somewhat and apparently is very good for endurance while doing cardio.

2lbs is generally the average weight I will lose in a week so I am happy with that. With the exercise I am now doing it is helping to knock off a bit more.

Thanks for the Chia seeds tip!

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problems!

Just made grilled chicken breast, with watercress and green spinach, (premixed in bag) with some red pepper and tomatoes, sprinkled some chia seeds on top and some crushed garlic and lemon juice. Washed down with a glass of kefir and will have a small pear for dessert. I am also taking vitamin B tablet, salmon oil (farmed unfortunately) some Magnesium citrate and some GLA.

I want and will start measuring my portions out at some point, particularly the chicken and fish. I used to be really into weightlifting and still have a "more is better" philosophy when it comes to protein however (even though I do not have the science to back it up) I strongly feel that excess protein can hinder fat loss.

^

exactly what hausser said.

I was ready to throw the scale through the window this morning. STILL sitting at 5 oz to lose until I get to 139. I am just not dropping any weight and tbh, I am getting frustrated.

I have noticed that there are times when my body seems to go into a weight loss lull despite the fact that I am on a diet and working out. I read an article not so long ago that listed various reasons why this happens.

They listed such things as not chewing your food properly, your diet being too limiting, not getting enough sleep and even what type of job you have. Apparently, if your job involves sitting at a desk or using a computer all day, the chances are that even if you go to the gym daily you are still leading a sedentary lifestyle.

The solution was not more gym time but to try to do a bit more standing or walking throughout the day and to use a pedometer to make sure that you reach 10,000 steps per day which is a simple way to burn more calories without noticing.

And, as has been said, stress can be a factor too.

I want and will start measuring my portions out at some point, particularly the chicken and fish. I used to be really into weightlifting and still have a "more is better" philosophy when it comes to protein however (even though I do not have the science to back it up) I strongly feel that excess protein can hinder fat loss.

I had weight loss surgery months ago and this is true, yep. You're right that too much protein can be bad because, well, you may be taking in too many calories but overall, for weight loss, protein > carbs, especially simple ones.

I eat fresh fruit and vegetables but the bulk of my diet now is definitely protein, mostly lean stuff like fish and chicken. I eat a LOT of fish now, actually. Not anything like salmon though, which can contain mercury. And I definitely eat a lot of chicken (skinless, boneless breasts and thighs) and I eat eggs too. Keeps you full for longer.

And good on you for doing portion control. Lots of people forget about that. It's so important. I don't measure out food but my tummy can't hold more than 3-4 oz so it does the "portion control" for me and I just stop when I feel full.

And good on you for doing portion control. Lots of people forget about that. It's so important. I don't measure out food but my tummy can't hold more than 3-4 oz so it does the "portion control" for me and I just stop when I feel full.

That was also another reason listed as to why people find it hard to lose weight. Those of us on diets, specifically calorie controlled diets, are notorious for misjudging portion sizes and although research apparently shows that we are OK when it comes to judging the calories in smaller meals, we vastly underestimate the number of calories in larger portions and as a result overeat much more than we realise.

Yeah, it's something that has gotten worse over time. It's not a wonder why so many people are overweight/obese. Look at restaurant portion sizes. They are SO big. It didn't always used to be that way. Sizes have just gotten bigger and bigger over time. People definitely misjudge.

Yup - if you're used to looking at a lot of restaurant portions as NORMAL it's easy to misjudge - especially when you consider the number of times you've ended up taking leftovers home!

I'm ending up going back to the BP meds with the diuretic - while cutting the dose in half had no detrimental effect on my blood pressure, within a week of no diuretic, not only had I gained 5 lbs in water (sure wasn't changing eating habits) but BP was up to 145/93 from 110/65. So yeah - back to the "water pill" portion for me. That's too big a difference for me to be comfortable with.

Waiting to see how much water drains off in the next couple days before I say what I'm at now lol - this med change made my "apparent weight" skyrocket, so I'll just have to be patient to see what it's REALLY at.

Did come up with a new meal though - I boiled some shrimp in tomato juice with spices, drained and peeled it, and tossed it with a few Ronzoni Healthy Selection egg noodles, some sauteed green beans, and diced tomatoes with a generous (too generous) amount of red pepper flakes, garlic, onion. Added about 1 tsp of parmesan to toss through. Think I'll add a larger variety of veggies next time, this was just using stuff I had available in a pinch. And I don't need 3 tsp of red pepper next time... I think 1 will suffice nicely!

I eat HUGE portions of fresh fruits and vegetables and have for the past two decades. Never had a problem with my weight until an injury put me off exercise -- and I started indulging in too many refined carbs! It's comfort-eating too much flour, sugar and alcohol that put extra weight on me -- certainly not inadequate protein or unlimited portions of healthy carbs like fruits and veggies and brown rice.

I don't eat tons of protein -- and none from animal sources since I'm vegan. Works for me!

I don't believe in portion control, never have. I eat as much as I want and whenever I'm hungry -- and when you're eating a diet that's got a high percentage of raw foods, that's A LOT and often!!

Took an hour-long hike in the woods yesterday -- we had TEN MINUTES of nice weather, wooo hooooo!!! So I did that instead of an indoors machine. Didn't feel like much of a workout, though.

Today (freezing cold again) so I hit the NordicTrack....... and my shoulder is NOT happy. Even just 20 mins with almost no resistance makes it sore still. Ugghhh!

Oh well. 5 in toward 7 days total......... my shoulder isn't enjoying this challenge, but I must say the weight loss results are PEACHY.

YEEEEESSSSS!! Eating more yesterday worked. I dropped to 138! Finally in the 130’s Woohoo!!!

Went to the movies last night dreading the smell of popcorn and candy, but I didn’t even notice. It was the strangest thing. It’s like my brain is officially retrained.

Actually, late last night we watched a documentary about obesity and the connection between stress and emotions and eating, and I said to my husband that I don’t even think about food anymore when I’m stressed or upset. Or if I do, I want the most healthy, nourishing thing I can get, as opposed to junk. When I was a kid and my parents would fight, I would go to the fridge every night and sit and eat leftover dinner in the dark. I see now it was a coping mechanism.

I am sorry about your shoulder, sharky. Perhaps you should have it looked at?

Congratulations on your weight loss!!! Woooooooo hooooooooooooo!

I hurt my shoulder last year -- it's much better now, but the ski machine's still too hard on it. That's why I got the spin bike!

Sweet!

The after-effects of my morning workout are now hitting full force every time I try to leave my chair.

Today I'm breaking from my current routine of miso soup and smoothies. I'm making a big batch of creamy sweet potato salad -- it's SOOOOO good! Grated yams, chopped celery, cucumbers and red peppers in a sweet/tart creamy cashew dressing........... OH YES. It's like a cross between potato salad and coleslaw.

Best part -- I can have as much as I want, and still lose weight!

Workout-wise................ will do spinning today.

Was really struggling with morale/impatience yesterday, but today I see results. I know it's just a matter of keeping my nose to the gindstone, eating right, exercising hard.

I think the hardest part of this process is having the patience, though. Even though the results come pretty quickly, it's like Carrie Fisher says: instant gratification takes too long.

Spinning -- check.

That makes it 6 for 7. Not sure my shoulder's up for ski machine tomorrow, might need to take my dog out to the woods again for another hike.

Meh.

I think you can afford to give your shoulder a rest!

I definitely will if it's too sore tomorrow. Hiking should be okay, though.

How are you doing?

With the amount of working out you have done I think hiking will be more than okay!

I've been busy running around for after the kids all weekend so working out wise I've been a bit slack. As regards my diet, I've been a bit emotional and went from not being able to eat to wanting to stuff my face with comfort foods but I've kept it in check. I'm feeling so much better today though. Back on it. Smoothies, soup and salmon tonight!

Alright... 30 minutes on treadmill, 20 minutes on elliptical, 15 minutes on bike, and then 15 minutes of plyometric jumping...

completely spent... wow, did it all so I could write in the thread.

got my priorities straight

Big training day today! A three hour bike ride followed by a half hour run. I need to work on my nutrition. I felt great for the first 15 minutes of the run and then started feeling really depleted and almost shaky. I need more "real" food (and more calories) on the bike-- Powerade and sports gummies just ain't gonna cut it.

Archived