"My Skinny Summer" Weight Loss Journey

Tanzi

I hit 135 today for the first time.

Fabulous. I'm not expecting any weight loss this week. With the kids on holiday there's been a lack of time to exercise and whilst I've been careful with what I have eaten, I've certainly not stuck religiously to my diet.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations i think i can!!

I’ve discovered that on my many pee breaks during the day I can do some little exercises in the bathroom lol, like wall squats, wall pushes, standing crunches. I am so lame.

No workout today, we were house hunting and it took all evening.

I didnt forget about ya'll

Sounds like everyone's doing GREAT!

As for me - working out at the gym just hasn't been happening lately. If I'm not running the car to the mechanic's, I'm grocery shopping, running errands, doing yard work, or other miscellaneous crap.

On the bright side - still losing at a regular pace. Down to 167 - which is right on track with the 2lb per week goal I set back when. I haven't been under 170 in something like 15 years, so that made me feel pretty positive about this whole thing!

I have every intention of hitting the gym again as soon as I get the emissions to finally clear on the car and the new registration etc done. And I have a rock climbing date with my stepsons in May. So I best get my butt in gear!

The climbing place isn't too terribly far and they actually have a monthly membership option which, if I enjoy it as much as I used to, I might actually do it.

Good because we missed you!

Your routine sounds pretty much like mine. I'm on my own with 3 children and finding the time to get to the gym or even to exercise at home is a mission in itself. The way I look at it, however, is that I am always on my feet, rushing around so that must be burning up some calories, right?? I need to take the electric hedge cutters to my over-grown bush (people are beginning to comment on it now haha!!!) and my grass is super high so getting to work on these is going to be a bit of a work out, I'd say!!

Glad to hear the weight is still coming off!!

Wow! I was cranky yesterday, no sleep for me makes me a lethargic zombie. I got home and went to bed at 6:30pm, woke up at 9:30pm, stayed up still about 10:30 and went back to sleep to get up at 4:37am. Not ideal, but I feel like a human being again.

I am going to try some valerian root and a few other supplements for deeper sleep, been having some strange insomnia. I think it might be the fact it was friggin 89F yesterday!!

On a good note, I am dragged my tired bum through a leg workout...got very sore, but turned on the afterburners for an 50 minutes of cardio afterwards, plus the steam room.

On the bright side - still losing at a regular pace. Down to 167 - which is right on track with the 2lb per week goal I set back when. I haven't been under 170 in something like 15 years, so that made me feel pretty positive about this whole thing!

This is one of the biggest motivators. When you start surpassing "checkpoints" that you haven't seen in years. Most of my shorts are getting way too loose, and I can only wear one pair of jeans without looking like a fool. I have to say, I'm getting excited my warddrobe is starting to look silly on me!

As far as rock climbing, the girl I am dating is an avid rock climber...as am I. *cough* was. I need to do a lot more upper body to not look like a faker, when the time comes we go rock climbing together.

As far as rock climbing, the girl I am dating is an avid rock climber...as am I. *cough* was. I need to do a lot more upper body to not look like a faker, when the time comes we go rock climbing together.

Ha ha! When I saw that you posted, I actually was wondering how your date went. It went well, I presume. And dating her will motivate you to continue working out!

This is one of the biggest motivators. When you start surpassing "checkpoints" that you haven't seen in years. Most of my shorts are getting way too loose, and I can only wear one pair of jeans without looking like a fool. I have to say, I'm getting excited my warddrobe is starting to look silly on me!

Yes - I only have a few outfits that I can wear atm - but I'm trying to hold out since I know I'll need to do a major wardrobe replacement when I hit my goal. (depending where I count from - 40-50 lbs down, and 30 to go.) Hubby made me promise to get one outfit next payday though - after he laughed his butt off at me constantly tightening the drawstring on my shorts as they kept heading south. The shirt I have on now still "fits" technically... if technically means it's now a VERY long loose tunic and comes down to mid thigh. The worst thing? UNDERWEAR. There's nothing like baggy undies to make you feel uncomfortable, so those I'll have to get some of - I'm wearing ones I had pulled out of cold storage from years ago, and they're old enough to be falling apart -_-

As for the rock climbing, I was an avid outdoorsy gal when I was younger - rock climbing, rappelling, kayaking and canoeing, hiking - and while the weather is too brutal here to do most of that outside at my age in summer, I can sure use the indoor facilities - and if I make a donkey's butt out of myself, at least I'll get a darn good workout and have fun doing it -and provide endless entertainment to the kiddos no doubt.

I'm really starting to feel I'm past that "hump" now - which feels great. You know, that "don't give a rat's butt" hump when you plateau and nothing is going according to plan

It sounds like you've got a really good motivator there!

Little-blue - imagine my surprise when "gardening" is actually listed as a workout on livestrong Thank goodness, because my arms and shoulders felt the pain after pulling the killed off weedery on this 1/3 acre lot. I feel your pain. And this week it's darn near triple digits here. I can only wonder at those that sign up for hot yoga out this way - all you have to do is step right outside!

Still pretty rough around here. I'm sticking to the diet, but doubt I'll get in any exercise today.

I think when things normalize I'm going to make a real effort to stay raw each day until dinner. I usually go mostly raw during the summer anyway, so it seems like a good time to start.

Everyone's sounding so good -- keep going!

As for the rock climbing, I was an avid outdoorsy gal when I was younger - rock climbing, rappelling, kayaking and canoeing, hiking - and while the weather is too brutal here to do most of that outside at my age in summer, I can sure use the indoor facilities - and if I make a donkey's butt out of myself, at least I'll get a darn good workout and have fun doing it -and provide endless entertainment to the kiddos no doubt.

That stuff sounds so cool! I've always been somewhat interested in outdoorsy stuff like that (i.e., I enjoy the stuff I've tried like hiking and canoeing), but I've never really "gotten into it." My family wasn't full of campers growing up, so we only went a few times. I'd like to at least start hiking some, but I don't really have a hiking partner, and I'm lame and don't do things by myself.

On another note, I'm a bit stiff/sore this morning, and I couldn't figure out why. It's my recovery week, after all, and I don't generally work out with enough intensity to get sore. Then I remembered that at track practice yesterday (I'm helping coach a junior high team) I went over some hurdles for the first time in a few years-- at, like, 1/2 speed. I felt so old.

This made me smile, yay for tunic blouses and loose undies. Definitely replace those!!! I am going to buy some fitted pants, although they're not necessarily my style I'm a little bit proud of my progress and I guess I want to show it off. So yes a little vain, but what the heck, aren't we all a little?

Yeah, this is like the little shining light of positivity on the internet amongst all the selfies. Everyone is doing great

Try link removed, I did a lot of stuff as a kid, and when I got older I'll still do it by myself, but I'm a pretty social creature and always enjoy another soul to do a hike or kayak with. I have found soccer pickup games with very friendly people on there, and also beach volleyball, I might see what else there is. So many of my friends are so routine that they never want to step out of their comfort zone unless I organize everything and invite them 3 times. I prefer people that just need a suggestion and boom, they're in. Sometimes it's fun to do it alone, but in general bringing a fun person makes it more fun, and also potentially safer.

Yes, it's been going fairly well... I don't really communicate much in between dates...but I've also just been haggard and busy mostly. I'm gonna sleep a lot on Friday night so I'm nice and fresh on Saturday. It definitely will, although most of the motivation comes internally, I am feeling a lot better, and coming up on my first Month in 10 days of being very serious and regiment about diet and exercise. I will take pictures, but probably not post them...still got a ways to go.

This made me smile, yay for tunic blouses and loose undies. Definitely replace those!!! I am going to buy some fitted pants, although they're not necessarily my style I'm a little bit proud of my progress and I guess I want to show it off. So yes a little vain, but what the heck, aren't we all a little?

Good for you! I think it keeps the spirit up when you indulge a little and, well, show off a little so when you walk by a glass door, there's a second of "oh wow, is that ME?"

On another note, I'm a bit stiff/sore this morning, and I couldn't figure out why. It's my recovery week, after all, and I don't generally work out with enough intensity to get sore. Then I remembered that at track practice yesterday (I'm helping coach a junior high team) I went over some hurdles for the first time in a few years-- at, like, 1/2 speed. I felt so old.

This made me literally LOL. It reminded me of teaching my friend's daughter, on her first cheering squad, how to do a cartwheel properly. And the next day wondering why I could barely move. I mean, gee, it had only been 10 years since I'd done any tumbling, that shouldn't have been so bad, right?

Still pretty rough around here. I'm sticking to the diet, but doubt I'll get in any exercise today.

I think when things normalize I'm going to make a real effort to stay raw each day until dinner. I usually go mostly raw during the summer anyway, so it seems like a good time to start.

Everyone's sounding so good -- keep going!

That's one thing I love about summer in more temperate zones - the abundance of produce and such to munch on without guilt. Boy oh boy do I miss fruit and veg stands!!!

Well today was workout-less, if you count going to the gym.

However, considering I spent the better part of 2-3 hours fighting to clear the portals from my EGR valve on the car (it was either solvent and mini-snake and a lot of elbow grease, or pulling the manifold... *shudder*), and another 30 minutes replacing the casement window handles in my room - I can say I'm pretty burnt. My back is definitely not as fond of maintaining the bent over pretzel position that wasn't an issue in my long ago youth! I've resigned myself to hubby being not so mechanically minded... and taking on more stuff myself again like I used to. I have a love hate relationship with it...

Stayed on point diet-wise yesterday: had the last of the curry and rice for breakfast.... a nice green salad w tomato-tahini dressing for lunch.... no dinner.

I'll do a spin class today for sure. Definitely going all-raw today: banana-celery smoothies, orange/grapefruit juice and am making up a big batch of raw sweet potato salad.

We're still in psycho mode around here, the whole town is walking around in shock. The school is still being processed as a crime scene so it's closed until further notice. The President called our principal yesterday. It's crazy! I'm very grateful to have established a healthier routine before this happened because I could see just TOTALLY pigging out right now.

Well today was workout-less, if you count going to the gym.

However, considering I spent the better part of 2-3 hours fighting to clear the portals from my EGR valve on the car (it was either solvent and mini-snake and a lot of elbow grease, or pulling the manifold... *shudder*), and another 30 minutes replacing the casement window handles in my room - I can say I'm pretty burnt. My back is definitely not as fond of maintaining the bent over pretzel position that wasn't an issue in my long ago youth! I've resigned myself to hubby being not so mechanically minded... and taking on more stuff myself again like I used to. I have a love hate relationship with it...

Mese, I manage and run an auto shop, if you need any advice let me know, would be glad to help. A lot of people tend to guess at repairs, so just make sure you're fixing the right things. We also deal with California emissions... I reckon one of the toughest in the US

Fabulous. I'm not expecting any weight loss this week. With the kids on holiday there's been a lack of time to exercise and whilst I've been careful with what I have eaten, I've certainly not stuck religiously to my diet.

Hang in there. With exercise we build muscle tissue, tereby increasing metabolism, so all work is good work. Hoping you will be happily surprised next week.

I actually underate yesterday, which I know isn't really good. I was just too hot (it was 98 here yesterday) to be hungry after dealing with the nightmare of emissions work, so I skipped dinner and just had some coffee. With cream. Choc caramel cream. Snuggled up with my pup watching CSI Miami reruns on Netflix

Up at 5am again today for a bike ride before work. Because of how busy I am, my diet has definitely been lacking. A few days ago, I left for my morning run at 5:30am and, after a full day of work/track, got back from my afternoon bike ride at 6:30pm. Then I thought to myself, "Wow, having a short day sure is nice!" There's just no time/energy to cook, but I'm doing the best I can by eating fruits and vegetables regularly.

Working out is going well, though. I'm looking back at where I was two months ago, and I am impressed with my progress! Back then, my long bike rides were 1.5 hours, and I just completed a 3 hour ride last week. Even just a month or so ago, I did a 2.5 hour ride/30 minute run brick and really killed myself to run 8:30min miles on the run. I did a 30 minute run after my 3 hour ride with the intention of taking it really easy and ended up doing about 8:30min miles.

I feel relatively confident about my running times. I feel like I can "get there" with my cycling times. And I feel like I have no idea about my swim times because I've never done and open water swim (competitively) and have NO idea what to expect. But it's the shortest leg (time-wise) by a lot which makes it a bit less important.

Your progress and workout regimen sound on point, Firiel. Nice work.

I think your open water experience is going to be flawless, because I have decided you are fearless. (Easy for me to say, since I will be nice and dry while you are getting kicked by some random swimmer. lol.)

Your progress and workout regimen sound on point, Firiel. Nice work.

I think your open water experience is going to be flawless, because I have decided you are fearless. (Easy for me to say, since I will be nice and dry while you are getting kicked by some random swimmer. lol.)

HA HA. Fearless! I'm terrified of this race! But more the bike and the run. The open water swim itself doesn't scare me too much. I know I'll survive, and I've done open water swimming on my own without fear. I just have NO idea what my time will be what with getting kicked and with choppy water and the cold and such. How do I even estimate that?!

My skinny jeans are entirely too big. Woot!

Had a record four glasses/bottles of fruit/veg juice today and my co-worker brought me some sushi. Yum!

My husband has pretty much fallen off the wagon, but me, I crave vegetables and healthy foods now. I don’t even like salty snack mixes anymore.

My skinny jeans are entirely too big. Woot!

Had a record four glasses/bottles of fruit/veg juice today and my co-worker brought me some sushi. Yum!

My husband has pretty much fallen off the wagon, but me, I crave vegetables and healthy foods now. I don’t even like salty snack mixes anymore.

Woop,woop! I have some skinny jeans that I bought when I was at my slimmest that are waiting to see life outside of the cupboard once again. I am determined to help them with their plight!

It's a shame that your husband has dropped off the wagon but you are far enough into this journey now to continue on your own!

It's a shame that your husband has dropped off the wagon but you are far enough into this journey now to continue on your own!

^ Agreed! And your ongoing commitment to glowing health (and skinny gorgeousness) will only continue to be an inspiration to him.

I got my spin class in yesterday and kept on point with food. I figure I'm halfway to my goal at this point and shouldn't have a problem getting there by June 1st. It's really tempting to start measuring -- but I also feel like, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

When mango and watermelon season hits, I'll probably be going more and more raw. For now though, I'm all about the veggie-miso soup...

I'll do a ski machine workout today and continue on with juice, smoothies and soup today for food.

Here's to skinny jeans all around!

You guys are great! (And doing fabulously) I am so proud of all of us!

He admitted that yes, he has fallen off the wagon. He’s not eating or drinking at regular intervals and I know part of it is the stress of house-hunting and commuting 2 hours to work for the past few days, but I told him that’s not an excuse if he is committed lol. To be fair, he has dropped 20 pounds and looks amazing He tried to get back on the wagon last night and then added pineapple liqueur to his juice, thinking it was natural. Pretty dismayed when I told him he just wasted a batch of organic produce by filling it with high fructose corn syrup and artificial flavouring.

As for me, feeling great. Depression is under control, energy levels are steady, tummy is flat most days, fat is slowly melting off, and as of my Saturday morning weigh-in, I have officially lost the big 15 pounds! Halfway there

Woohoo! Ya'll are doing great! Reporting in, so to speak, and seeing what everyone else is doing - it makes it SO much easier to stick with this, and makes it feel so much less depriving - unlike when I've tried before.

Haha, joke's on me, I'd not been able to make it to the gym much lately - and I get a call from my son. "Hey mom, I'm coming home on Tuesday, so starting Wed you'll have a workout buddy again!" That sound, yes, it was my muscles cringing and me going "well, heck, serves me right.."

Firiel - you'll do awesome, you'll finish and surprise yourself. And no matter where you "place" you'll know you've come a LONG way since the start of this!

Skinny jeans... I don't think I even have any anymore... But in another 30 pounds or so I shall be looking for some!

Congrats on the halfway mark Red!!

And a-little - that's the kind of thing you guys say that makes it easy to continue, and impossible to just give up. Thank you I know you had a hard time at the beginning, sounds like you're right with us now though!

I hit 165 today. And did a dance of joy. I have an appt with my endocrinologist, who I really DON'T care for, at the beginning of May. And right now, one goal is to shock him senseless - last time he saw me I was 193 which was November I believe.

Archived