Post the things you would like to achieve in 2014!

I thought it would be nice to post a thread to get people to post (or start thinking about) things they would like to accomplish in the new year! I do this every year, just write a list of things to work for. Sometimes I do them all, and other times I miss a few, but it's nice to organize my plans and think ahead anyway.

I am not calling this a "new years resolution" thread because I think that's corny, and there is always pressure associated with new years resolutions--you feel like a failure when you don't achieve them. So this is just a place to post some things you would like to achieve, or get started down the path to achieve *at some point in 2014* (and don't need to start on 01/Jan!).

So I'll start!

1) I would like to learn how to drive. I had my license when I was a teen but was too scared/anxious to really drive. Now that I'm older, I think I should try it again.

2) I would like to start practicing Kundalini yoga. I have mostly done Iyengar style yoga for years, but would like to branch out and learn some breathing techniques.

3) I need to get serious about my little side business if it is going to become my career in a few years. I definitely need to sit down and organize my thoughts to get some direction, and get some help with writing a business plan.

Good thread!

1) Figure out where my life is going. This is very vague, but I need to make some sort of a plan for long term sucess. Working has been sporatic for me because I can't figure out a career path. I need to decide on that and take steps to make it happen.

2) I also would like to finally get my license. I got my permit this year and I began taking lessons but got into a minor accident during the lessons (was my instructors fault. He told me to 'move in' when I knew I didn't have room. I listened to him and we took off our mirror plus the mirror of another car) anyway since then I have had major anxiety and haven't gotten behind the wheel since. I need to get over it and try again.

3) Get involved in something to meet new people. I'm not sure how to go about doing that. I have very few friends, have dropped a lot of people out of my life the last few years and I feel really alone often. I would like to put myself in the position to make more friends through an activity or network. I need to figure out how to go about doing that.

I really like this post so thank you!

Firstly, I would like to accomplish this coming New Year is to overcome my fears, insecurities that I may have, and anxiety.

Secondly, I would love to learn and be consistent on thinking positively and have better control of my emotions to not analyzing and overthinking every situation.

Lastly, I'd love to have a good vacation! I want that to happen in the New year! A real vacation! So hopefully!

I hope I can make this happen so I can have a better and fulfilling life for me and my family.

Great thread SB! Some things I'd like to achieve:

1. Take the next step in my career and obtain a better position (either internally or externally). I've been in the same job for the past 5 years, and while it pays well, I am no longer challenged or excited by it. With my MBA, I believe I can be doing more and earning more.

2. Start doing yoga, boxing, or crossfit. But not all 3...I will just pick one

3. Expand my social circle by doing meetup groups. I tend to be one of those people that defaults to his close circle of friends. I'm very loyal, and tend to just stick with the friends I've made over the years. But as all my friends are married, I think it's time I branch out and start meeting more people. I'm somewhat of an introvert, so this is kind of a challenge for me...but it will be great to meet new cool people!

4. Go on a vacation. Not sure if I'd go alone or with family...but yeah...I need a vacay, pronto!

1) Make full hvac tech or get into local 30 operating engineers union. As i stand i am still an apprentice, so i am not on the upper union payscale for techs.

2) Get used to my car and drive it around. This is a nice car- but its my first starter car and its just to get me used to driving so i can get promoted.

3) Fix myself up.. i think something is wrong with me. Granted, i dated some NOT good women in the past 2 years, i have aggravated them quickly. I think i need to fix my character, i am starting to notice all my flaws. I have been reading Dale Carnegies How to Influence People and make friends (i was curious about this book since i learned charles manson used it to influence people)- and right from the first chapter i noticed that i have a lot of annoying traits that i have to fix... one being that i like to challenge people without noticing it (you see it here on the boards when i reply- i dont even notice the impression i leave).

4) Reach out to my friends more. Now that i have a car, i should put in the work and see them.

5) Go back to my geeky hobbies. I am so involved at work that i am cursing and staring at women that i have turned into a typical new york city construction worker- i need to go back to being a geek. I need my brain challenged with some geeky boardgames and rpgs.

A new job, some inner piece and less worry. To make my man happy and try to take some of his stress away. Hope he gets a new job too and we can finally start planning our future.. maybe an engagement-would be nice but I am not in any hurry. Career comes first right now and establishing ourselves so we can achieve our goals together.. also more quality time, romance, learning a few new things in the bedroom and hopefully becoming a better cook

-to get my driving licence

-get a raise at my job

-learn how to swim like a freaking mermaid

-continue with my stretching and exercising, and become very flexible

-grow and take good care of my hair till they recover after all the abuse I put them through

-be able to send my parents some money every month

-grow in my relationship and make him even more happy

-spend more time with my friends

-find my style

-do some tattoos

-make final peace with my past

-be a good godmother to my niece

I have actually played the Game of Thrones rpg... no... not the video game but the game thats played around a table, where you play an actual part of the story, have character sheets, maps, boards, cards and talk in "character" with a group of friends- its call A Song of ice and fire. I have also played the card game/board game once. Ive never seen the show tho.

A 3d puzzle is cool. I would get a zombie one, or cartoon one that i could put up in my place.

Thor, you're making me miss the days of being the only female in my high school D&D club

For this year:

1) Make the healthier eating style I've been working on a habit and not a chore,

2) Come up with something my husband and I can do together that's new and different,

3) Continue working towards being physically fit again,

4) Resolve my ongoing laundry list of health issues,

5) Take steps towards getting the heck out of this household (with the husband, of course),

6) Get my co-dependent in law family on their feet and off my shoulders so I can start "real" work again,

7) Make some friends that actually live in the area, and develop a decent social life!

What a great thread idea, happybear!

Here's my list:

1) I really need to earn more money next year. I work freelance, and it's been slow this year and I've plowed through my savings. I need to get more clients, and most of all be more focused when I actually have work (which includes getting off ENA..). I need to get my savings back up again!

2) I want to have a relationship next year. I'm finally feeling over the ex and ready. (This year I actually had the somewhat crass new year's resolution of getting laid, which I did not achieve, partly because I decided I didn't want to do this casually so have turned down those options.)

3) I've been writing a novel on and off for years now. It's supposed to be "the most important thing" in my life but always ends up chucked on the back burner. So: first draft done, 2014!

4) Do the online course "Awakening Joy". I did a workshop with the founder last weekend. It's practical tools for happiness from the Buddhist teachings. I think this will really improve my quality of life.

5) Continue current established health/fitness routine of yoga, running, meditation.

6) I'd really like to move into my own place, and away from roommates ... Or perhaps in with the aforementioned lucky man who is going to appear to be in a relationship with me!

7) Unlikely, but I'd like to have a trip to the States and do a meditation retreat at Spirit Rock in California.

I haven't posted here in some time but I like this idea so here goes:

1) Find a new job in SF or elsewhere. My current one is a dead end and I've lost all motivation for working there. I need to shake things up and jump-start my career again. If I achieve this one then I'll be pretty happy.

2) Expand my social circle. I feel like I've been a bit of hermit the last few months and gotten a little lazy about meeting people.

3) Cut down on drinking. Playing pool in bar leagues is not helping and I enjoy beer way too much to quit, but I do need to slow it down.

4) Take a solo trip somewhere. I've never done this before. Maybe Hawaii or and extended backpacking trip.

5) Be in a relationship. I've been struggling to make a connection for awhile now and I feel perpetually stuck in dating limbo. I've had a few recent setbacks which were discouraging but I'm not going to give up.

4) Do the online course "Awakening Joy". I did a workshop with the founder last weekend. It's practical tools for happiness from the Buddhist teachings. I think this will really improve my quality of life.

Thumbs up to this^, It's based on the book by James Baraz, right? I took a class based on the material before the book came out, and it was very helpful. Part of my healing from my break up.

I'm still coming up with my list for 2014

Love this idea!

1. Make PM. I really need to get this promotion so I can put my MBA to work and prove to myself and everyone else (including my former boss) that I can do this.

2. Really do some good. My friend and I have a non-profit and it always get pushed to the back burner but this year I really want to bring it to the front and keep it there!

3. Expand my circle of friends (hopefully this will include some relationship quality male friends as well).

4. Add to my savings and remove debt.

5. Add another stamp to my passport.

1. Do brilliantly at the new job I'll be starting in Jan. Impress the higher ups and get a promotion within 6 months.

2. Join the gym and be consistent with working out like I used to be

3. Get involved and expand more socially. Get out of my rut. Meet lots of fun, smart, honest people whom I can trust and will be in tune with.

4. Be happy with myself and learn a new skill.

5. Find a great guy in the next 3 or so months and get into a happy and respectful relationship.

6. Improve culinary skills.

7. Learn a new language.

8. Move in the next 3 months

9. Start putting back enough money in savings to be able to purchase own property in the next 4 years. (so before I turn 28 )

10.Smile and laugh more. Leave bad memories and the past behind me.

11.Go sky diving

12.Travel to Paris or Thailand by Christmas 2014. I've been all around Europe and will be heading the the States in 4 days. Now it's time for Paris, London, Bangkok or Tokyo.

13. Find my joy.

14. Get a full licence for God sakes, Have had my licence since I was 16ish, I'm now 24.

15. Get my life my the right track.

Practice my singing more. I am working on that in our church choir. Only me and one other person signing at the front of the church. I am not nervous at all anymore. Which is awesome. When I was a child and sang in choirs I would always flush and giggle and hide behind other people whenever I saw my mom in the audience. It is a great achievement to sing in front of a few hundred people and not be nervous. I am SO SO excited to sing Christmas music this year.

To give more in Church donations.

Thumbs up to this^, It's based on the book by James Baraz, right? I took a class based on the material before the book came out, and it was very helpful. Part of my healing from my break up.

I'm still coming up with my list for 2014

Fantastic, journeynow!

Yes, it's James Baraz. He came to my city a couple of weeks ago and taught a weekend I went to. I really like his practical approach! So great to hear you did the course and found it helpful.

Archived