Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Life in the Driver's Seat

Seraphim

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Writing is extremely laborious for them as well. My sister had accommodations in school that allowed her to type up everything if she had to write any real amount. My brother still struggles to write a lot but thankfully he can just type up everything on a computer. He is also studying math so not much in the way of writing. Your son's handwriting definitely reminds me of theirs, particularly my sister's.

Yeah my son has an IEP and a computer as well for school. He also has a scribe for exams.

In grade school he had a scribe for pretty much almost everything.

Both of my siblings used a product called "AlphaSmart" in grade school. I ended up using my sister's older one myself in HS, not for a IEP or exams but for homework and such. I loved it, it was awesome. I would go up and transfer all of it into word documents and print out. It was far lighter and easier to take to school, awesome battery life, and less distracting by far.

link removed

Yes, it's essentially a keyboard, with a small greyscale screen so you can see what you're typing. I think it comes with a spellchecker but that's about it. Basically, it was made so students (with or without IEPs) could use it type up exams, papers, and other homework rather easily during the school day without the distractions of a computer. Several different documents could be saved at a time on it so you could work on multiple things through the day. At night, I would plug it into a computer via a USB cable, open up MS word (or notepad, whatever) and push a button that said "transfer" and it could automatically upload what I had written into the word document for saving/printing.

It was a handy device. I know my siblings really benefited. I did too.

Individuals with autism have higher than typical rates of bone fracture beginning in childhood and extending up to at least age 50, according to a large study by physician-researchers in the Autism Speaks Autism Treatment Network (ATN).

The increased risk was greatest among girls and women affected by autism spectrum disorder:

* Girls with autism had eight times the hip-fracture rate of other girls.

* Women with the disorder had ten times the rate of spinal fracture of other women.

* Boys with autism had double the hip-fracture rate of other boys.

* Men and women with autism (ages 23 to 50) had nearly 12 times the hip fracture rate of other adults.

* Women with autism also had double the rate of arm, wrist and hand fractures.

Harvard neurologist Ann Neumeyer and endocrinologist Madhusmita Misra presented their team’s findings at the 2014 meeting of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, in Houston. Dr. Misra practices in Boston’s MassGeneral Children Hospital, Dr. Neumeyer in the hospital’s Lurie Center for Autism – both of which are part of the Autism Speaks ATN.

“Their findings extend what we’ve long known about autism affecting organ systems beyond the brain,” comments Paul Wang, Autism Speaks senior vice president and head of medical research. “It also illustrates that these health issues are lifelong.” (Dr. Wang was not directly involved in the study.)

From pilot study to review of national records

The worrisome findings come out of the researchers’ review of 2010 emergency-room records from accross the United States. This included 18,322 children and 4,215 nonelderly adults (up to age 50) affected by autism. It compared their fracture rates to those of 6.3 million children and 11.5 million adults unaffected by the disorder.

- See more at: link removed

That's a nice group of produce, Vic. To get similar prices, I would have to go to my local Public Market. It's definitely good though. It's in the inner city and they take food stamp money, which I don't use but I think it's AWESOME that they can accept that so families can eat healthy.

I bought a lot of peaches and I'm going to make a cobbler soon. I also bought some sweet onions (1 quart for a $1) and a quart of potatoes for the same price. I used the onions in a casserole recently and I'm using the potatoes in a meat soup soon.

Sent from Tapatalk

Well, when he was assessed in 2nd grade he was just barely in the normal zone so he didn't qualify for services. However, at age 19 he describes himself as having dysgraphia and I would concur...

Yeah, my son is below the normal zone and called non functional as far as writing goes for in the class room. So he was given a SEA grant for technology.

That's a nice group of produce, Vic. To get similar prices, I would have to go to my local Public Market. It's definitely good though. It's in the inner city and they take food stamp money, which I don't use but I think it's AWESOME that they can accept that so families can eat healthy.

I bought a lot of peaches and I'm going to make a cobbler soon. I also bought some sweet onions (1 quart for a $1) and a quart of potatoes for the same price. I used the onions in a casserole recently and I'm using the potatoes in a meat soup soon.

Sent from Tapatalk

Yeah this program was basically set up for low income families but anybody can join. It's not done specifically out of our community center it's actually part of the city that I'm in , and other cities but my community center just buys into it. It is called the good food box program. But a lot of military families are one income families. Because they move so often spouses have a harder time keeping a job or getting a job. So many families are one income with four kids or more.

I have been having GI upset as well. It hasn't hindered my ability to go to work though so I guess that's good. There is something going around! Nope you feel better soon.

Sent via Tapatalk

Ugh! Isn't it awful. I went seven more times at work I don't think there's anything left in there I don't know how I can keep going. And I think I'm getting another sinus issue or something but a girl at work gave me a Sinutab and I kind of feel half normal now.

I hope you feel better too hon.

Archived