Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

sherryberrypie

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was slacking on the customer service today, checking fitting rooms, etc... unbeknownst to me, my manager set up a fitting room with a lot of clothes for a customer (couldn't even tell you what she looked like). I should have been checking the rooms constantly, but I hadn't put anyone back there, so I had no idea that anyone was there. Either way, I was the one on the floor. Apparently this customer changed rooms and they do this as a method of shoplifting. When my manager was in the back area later that day, she noticed that all of the clothes were gone from that room, and they hadn't been put away. She was nice about it, but I feel guilty. It's amazing what shoplifters come up with to get free stuff. I had a $150 sale today, and a $300 sale yesterday though, so my manager couldn't be too mad.

It hardly ever snows here, so this weather is weird. I think it's going to be a long winter like back in '08 when we got huge dumps of snow.

I'm starting to get that "suspicious of humanity" feeling back after years of being away from retail. Old arthritic women steal, men steal women's clothing, mothers put items in their baby's strollers, it's just sick. It astounds me how employees steal also, when they are ALREADY being given 50% off.

OG- drivers here are usually pretty terrible, but people here have mostly been on their best behaviour since the cold snap started on Friday. It's kind of refreshing to be doing 70 in a 90 zone and not having people constantly wanting to pass. All the merge lanes are much smaller than usual though, which can get awkward! I just take the main highway to the north end of town, takes 15 minutes, no hills, only 4 or 5 lights, and I'm pretty sure it's much safer than going through the city.

It rains all the time here-- we're immune

The snow kind of bums me out because I like to accelerate and make my car go grrrrrrvmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. It's way more fun than creeping along.

Yikes! I'm only enrolled in 2 classes so far for next semester On the bright side, my Dad has the money for me that he's been saving since I was little'ish, so tuition is taken care of

Bootcamp was pretty good last night. Too bad I had a weird knotty feeling in my back that was keeping me from doing my best, but I still feel it a bit this morning. She keeps upping my weights, which is great. My weights at home feel like nothing now! It started snowing again this morning and by the time I got up at 10, we had another few centimetres on the ground. I've gotta work at 12:30, so I'm just going to leave really early. I was trying to do an assignment for my newswriting class, but I have to wait for a call-back. In the meantime, I took some notes and got the general idea. Serves me right for waiting so long to get started. I'm not doing well in that class, so it's kind of beat me down a bit. It's hard going from an internship where everyone crows about how awesome you're doing, to an extremely picky journalism prof with an old-school writing style who hasn't been in a newsroom in 10-15 years. I like him, but I think some fresh blood is needed.

I discovered the classes I did bad in (when I went to college) wasn't because of me really, it was the teacher's teaching style. That really does make a difference. I can't be taught by notes on a over head and drowning on and on about the facts and then give me a test which has NOTHING about what we learned on it. I'll fail that class every time.

OMG OMG OMG I just found the entire animated series of transformers PLUS the animated movie as a free bonus for.... $20.00 (plus shipping of course). I really hope it's not a... too good to be true thing, because on Amazon the entire set without the movie was $119.00. I really hope it's legit! Alex is going to LOVE it! So cannot wait for Christmas now hahaha.

I think I might pick up a second seasonal job for December. This little kiosk that sells hoodies (Lululemon knockoffs) is looking for a seasonal part-timer. I'm a bit freaked because Alex gets paid Dec 7 and then not again until January. It's tough that he's working for a start-up, because there are no benefits or paid vacations or anything like that (yet.) My part time job pulls in maybe $100 a week, which just is not enough, so I figure while the paper is done for December, I could work another part time job. I really don't want to leave the one I'm at because I really enjoy it quite a bit, and that's rare as far as jobs go. But, I need to be logical too. 3-4 hour shifts five days a week is pretty crappy... If I were still at the grocery store, I'd have the 8 hour shifts and be making $80 a day, instead of $30-$40. Hoping that this summer we can get ahead a bit. and I can get some savings for school and not do any unpaid internships It was completely worth it, but we're still feeling the brunt of me not working (for money) for most of the summer.

If you can swing the part time job and not feel to drained, then go for it. Making extra money is always a benefit, that is why I come to work whenever OT presents itself because it allows me the chance to keep up with the bills and still have a little extra.

I think it's so cool you like your retail job as much as you do. Totally jealous that you get a killer discount too.

Hey now that the holidays are upon us, there is no chance of you getting more hours at the retail job?

The discount is pretty great. Makes it really hard not to buy more than once every couple of weeks! I have my eye on a skirt and a new top that will keep my work wardrobe "fresh" through much of December. There will be more hours for sure, but they're still short shifts. A lot of companies do that on purpose now, so they pay each employee less and pay less in the long run. Hours go down when sales are down too. Yesterday was a very poor day for sales, so my manager asked if I wouldn't mind having today off, and I said I didn't mind, because this will be my day off from everything this week.

An acquaintance says there is a job opening at a cosmetics/jewelry counter.

Wow...today is one big fail so far! Dragged my butt outta bed and painted until it was time to go to the gym for the class. Moe jumped onto the painting AGAIN and I put him outside. My car was frozen solid. Literally a sheet of ice coating the entire thing. I was determined to go, so I scraped and scraped and blasted the heat until it finally started to separate. Well, I get to the gym and (don't tell Alex this cuz I lied) but there was no class! No one signed up today. I guess no one really knows the other instructor. So I do a bit of secondhand shopping at Salvation Army (got some Christmas decor and a really fun game called Things in a Box) and headed home. I called work, and was told that they didn't need anyone else today...so no work for me again today. I decided to make the best of it and print off resumes. I got about five printed before the printer (which usually works just fine...) starting spitting out randomness that doesn't resemble a resume. So...I guess the plan is to shower, hand out the five resumes and pick up some paint. I just talked to a friend who suggested that I give up on today and call some friends, order a pizza, and make some rum and cokes. Sounds good to me!

Archived