Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

sherryberrypie

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a lot of the time, destination weddings are planned knowing not everyone can make it but it's a courtesy to let people know they are welcome to come if they can.

My thoughts too. I had a HS girl invite me a few years back to her South African wedding. Most def was not going to be able to make that trip on a gas cashier's salary!

We are doing a (local) honeymoon as well. The beach is only a 5 hour drive from were we are getting married and we got some awesome rates for our beach side hotel because Oct is considered off season for the beach. A lot of stuff in the area is closed though because it's October but there are a few areas that will still be open when we go down.

Sherry, do you know what it is about a big wedding that he likes? I know that my wedding wasn't "big" in the typical sense of the word (we stuck to a $4,000 budget), but we still had good food and had a fun time with people at our reception. He may not really be aware of the options for weddings... it seems like a lot of times they are presented as being either courthouse weddings or huge $15,000 ordeals, so if he hasn't done much research, he may be assuming those are the only two options.

So we forced ourselves to talk it out today when we went to the river. That sucked. We both confessed that we're each incredibly hurt, for different reasons, and it took a lot of hashing out. I just couldn't believe that probably the worst fight of our lives was over a wedding. Seriously.

We had fun later on, and I made a resolution to myself to just live in the here and now and just not worry about it. He told me that I need to stop reading between the lines and just take what he says at face value. So there is no date, or season-- though winter is a contender, but he told me that he does NOT want to stay here for a honeymoon. He wants to go on a cruise and it means a lot to him. He definitely did not want to go camping Groomzilla.

I still feel gypped that I waited 5 yrs to even get engaged and now it's another 2 years to a wedding, but it's not just about me, and I had said I was okay with a longer engagement. I'll just have to be.

I'm glad you guys worked things out Sherry. It has to suck, I know. I guess I still don't see why it would be so bad to set a date - not even a date but a month and season so you can do some research to get the best deals. I have had a Groomzilla once or twice in this process myself though.

And it's always over the craziest of things!

We're leaning heavily towards winter. There is a ski resort a couple of hours from here and we'd have guaranteed snow. He's always wanted me to be his snow princess, and I can completely picture that.

Because I'm ready to take his name and for us to merge everything. Right now, it's his name on the mortgage and on the bills. I want to be Mrs. C and to be a legal family. Also, we want to start a family and neither of us want to do that out of wedlock... old fashioned as it may sound.

Yeah it does suck but hey, at least we're engaged, and when we do set a date, it'll be really exciting all over again. It'll also be exciting when I get my ring back.

Archived