What do women buy for their boyfriends on Valentine's day?

Malakh

I usually see men buying flowers and chocolates and gifts for their girlfriends on Valentine's day.. I also feel that women eagerly await all the things that their bf is going to shower on them... and get very disappointed if it does not happen.

Last year my female friend broke-up with her bf and I asked her why. The first reason that came out of her mouth was "He did not do much for Valentine's day". So he did something but apparently it was not enough

In my office one co-worker asked my colleague "Did you take out your wife to a nice restaurant for Valentine's Day?" and when my colleague said "No.. we actually had dinner at home" she got upset. WTH? It is not even her problem..

Well anyways, I am just curious to know what do women buy for their boyfriends on V day..

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i got this idea from someone on the site, but I am putting together a big basket of stuff for him. Like the candy he likes, heart shapped little debbie cakes he likes, valentines boxers, a book on karma sutra positions, massage oils, lube, candles etc. We don't have tons of money since we are both college students and he's making dinner for me, so I'll bring over a bottle of wine or something too. Nothing to crazy or huge, but just some stuff to let him know I love him.

Last year my female friend broke-up with her bf and I asked her why. The first reason that came out of her mouth was "He did not do much for Valentine's day". So he did something but apparently it was not enough

sometimes, it can be a symptom of deeper problems in the relationship. ie, if he never does anything special for her on her birthday, xmas, valentine's day, etc.... she may get sick of things. if he's continually unappreciative of her, etc.... or maybe she's just a gold digger. what were her other reasons?

in the past, i've bought dinner and lingerie. got him tickets for a show i thought he'd like. i've bought presents for vday for guys for sure.

People should make their expectations clear if they don't want to be disappointed - but they should also make sure they reciprocate to a similar degree.

For instance - why is it only up to the man to take the woman out to dinner? Or, if he does, is she doing something on a similar scale for him?

I used to make a big deal of V-day a few years back. I remember being horribly upset when my ex bought weed with his pay-check instead of getting me something. I'd gone to the effort to get him something nice and I'd planned a romantic night. It's not so much about the gift, but about acknowledging the relationship. It's hard to do that when your boyfriend plans to spend the night with his buddies getting high and playing Halo.

These days I don't have much time for V-day because I've had too many breakups occur right before it. If I were in a relationship now, I wouldn't expect a thing.

i got this idea from someone on the site, but I am putting together a big basket of stuff for him. Like the candy he likes, heart shapped little debbie cakes he likes, valentines boxers, a book on karma sutra positions, massage oils, lube, candles etc. We don't have tons of money since we are both college students and he's making dinner for me, so I'll bring over a bottle of wine or something too. Nothing to crazy or huge, but just some stuff to let him know I love him.

Wow! Your BF is very lucky to have you!

I wish you both a very Happy Valentine's Day

sometimes, it can be a symptom of deeper problems in the relationship. ie, if he never does anything special for her on her birthday, xmas, valentine's day, etc.... she may get sick of things. if he's continually unappreciative of her, etc.... or maybe she's just a gold digger. what were her other reasons?

in the past, i've bought dinner and lingerie. got him tickets for a show i thought he'd like. i've bought presents for vday for guys for sure.

Yep, the second reason she told was that he did not do much for a Jewish Festival either (I forget which one that happened last Feb). She is Jewish and he is not. Of course there were other reasons too - like he kept flirting with her girlfriends right in front of her

I'm making him some chocolate strawberries and bringing some beer. I'm broke since I'm still in school, so hopefully this will do.

Unless he is a complete tosshead, that you have thoughtfull done something will mean more than what you do.

I have always had issues with women who whinge an complain about what and how much they get on V-day, but when asked what they gave, they tell me they don't have to do anything. Glad I'm not with those girls...

For instance - why is it only up to the man to take the woman out to dinner? Or, if he does, is she doing something on a similar scale for him?

Right on, I am so curious to know what women do for their boyfriends. Like I see all the time guys taking their gfs out for dinner or buying flowers and it makes me so curious to know what do girls get for their bfs.

The first year I made a playlist of 5 cds and wrote an index of all the songs I used (an index decorated with drawings too). I even wrote captions next to some of the songs as to why I put them on the cds (made me think of you, we listened to this song once on 'this important day'). He bought me a heart shape chunk of chocolate.

The next year he bought me a bigger box of chocolate (you just can't go wrong with chocolate) and I paid for food expenses for that week (he came to visit me and I took him shopping to buy his goodies for the stay).

This year we decided not to get each other gifts.

The first year I made a playlist of 5 cds and wrote an index of all the songs I used (an index decorated with drawings too). I even wrote captions next to some of the songs as to why I put them on the cds (made me think of you, we listened to this song once on 'this important day'). He bought me a heart shape chunk of chocolate.

The next year he bought me a bigger box of chocolate (you just can't go wrong with chocolate) and I paid for food expenses for that week (he came to visit me and I took him shopping to buy his goodies for the stay).

This year we decided not to get each other gifts.

Your BF is also lucky to have you!

And why no gifts this year? (don't have to tell if it is personal)

As of Valentine's weekend, we will have been dating almost two months, so this is all kind of new. But he got tickets for a jazz concert in the park that night, and I'm putting together a romantic picnic for us... I haven't decided what all is going in the basket yet, but I want it to be special. I am going to go to

Godiva and get chocolate dipped strawberries. A really good bottle (or two) of champagne. Then I will go to Whole Foods or a great ethnic restaurant and get some things that would travel well for a picnic. Maybe some Indian food, Greek or Mediterranean... plus some candles of course.

In recent weeks, he has hinted around and asked what kind of gems I like in my jewelry. I don't know if he is planning on getting something for Valentine's or if he was just fishing around for info. But I'm wondering -- what if he did give me jewelry on Valentines? I would feel bad if I didn't have a nice gift for him as well. I plan to go all out with the picnic but I don't know whether I should get something besides that, too???

The other day I got some concert tickets for his favorite band that is coming to town ... I wonder if that would count as a Valentines gift? I don't know what the protocol is here. I have no idea how to handle this.

I know a bakery that does really nice things...maybe I could get him some heart shaped sugar cookies with pink sprinkles on them and a cute card.... maybe a CD with some music that he might like.... ack, I'm so unsure.

I'm making him some chocolate strawberries and bringing some beer. I'm broke since I'm still in school, so hopefully this will do.

I did this for a bf one year and he dumped me the next day. I've not given a guy anything for v-day since and probably never will unless we are in a very serious relationship. Def no more strawberries, lol!

I've been struggling to think of something to do for my boyfriend. Always seemed a lot harder for women. Men can buy flowers or chocolate but I'm not sure what to get a man!

But he's working nights around Valentines day and he's said we'll do something together a different day because he'll just be sleeping all day then back at work. But I'm going to go to his house before he gets home from work in the morning and make him a special breakfast because we're not really going to get to have dinner or go out for dinner or anything actually on Valentines day. So, yeah, going to get him a present (seem something he might like) and a card and leave them on his table with breakfast when he's coming home from work.

My boyfriend is impossible to shop for as he doesn't wear jewelry except a nice watch I bought him 5 years ago. He has enough clothes to keep all of us on ENA dressed for a week and he doesn't have any hobbies other than being an obsessed sports nut. So this year, I am getting his windows tinted. It's something that he has been wanting to do for a while now, he just hasn't had the time because of his crazy work schedule. I couldn't think of anything else to do and it seems like something he'll truly like.

Valentines is not a big deal for either of us. We will actually be going out to dinner the day after to avoid the crowds and the ridiculous prices restaurants charge for their dinners that night. Hogwash, we'll save more by waiting a day. I also told him no flowers on Valentines Day because the flower shops charge far too much for flowers that day.

I'm a practical girlfriend. LOL

The first year he brought me breakfast in bed and gave me chocolates. I got him a card and a DVD of a TV series he liked. We went out to dinner (nothing fancy), but I don't remember who paid.

The second year he got me roses and brought take-out over to my place. I don't remember anything that I did. We were in a rough patch, and he was trying to make something up to me.

The third year I decorated my room with candles, bought champagne, his favorite food, I dressed up. Got him a present that was a sort of cute inside joke.He came over and we ate and toasted and watched a movie. He may have brought flowers ... don't remember.

Fourth year, we were LDR. He sent me flowers. I sent him a care package with a pair of jeans I'd picked out for him, some special candy, a card I'd made and a few others other things.

It's never been a huge deal, but we always marked it, and I always did something for him. I don't expect a big fanfare, just a sweet, thoughtful gesture.

And honestly, I have to say I don't understand a lot of the grumbling about Valentine's Day. You don't have to spend a lot of money to make it special, and I don't see where there is all this pressure to get the biggest teddy bears and the biggest heart shaped candy box, and where it's the holiday where materialist girlfriends milk their boyfriends for all their worth when the poor boyfriend gets nothing in return.

Any of my friends and I would be more than delighted with breakfast in bed served up with a single rose and a homemade card and a snuggle. And I refuse to believe that we're exceptional, and somehow less superficial than the rest of the female population! I'm totally average, and no better than anyone else. And all the girls I know at least dress up for their boyfriend, and often buy new lingerie FOR the boyfriend, not for herself, if they don't do anything else.

I just don't understand the whining. I've never seen a bunch of jewelry and teddy bear crazed girls go off on their boyfriend for not spending enough money on them for Valentine's day. You can make a big deal of something without spending very much money - the breakfast in bed costs about $10 and is super sweet, for example.

Archived