He called . Should I call him back?

BriarRose

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to look at it this way... if this happened to you, and a friend send you an email during that month, you would have at least responded with a few words like, telling you when you emailed that you were busy because someone died, but you'd get back to them after the funeral etc.

But he gave you NO response during that month, just let you hang out there to dry. That makes me think that he really either just is inconsiderate, or else sees you as a marginal player he doesn't want to keep close contact with, or he is using the death as an excuse for his own bad behavior now that he's in the mood to talk to you again.

I'd just express condolences, but make him WORK for the friendship rather than ignoring you for long periods of time. He was rude doing that. And frankly, what is in this for you if he doesn't want to date you and you want to date him? It just gets you all stirred up for nothing.

I think I will not respond. Protecting myself is more important to me right now than contacting him. I believe his telling me about the death was an excuse to contact me after such a long time frame and I want out of the dance.

How can I deal with this, if he won't get with this

Am I gonna heal from this; he won't admit to it

Nothing to figure out; I gotta get him out

It's time the truth was out that he don't give a

**** about me

Fiona Apple

Get Gone

I don't know when the death occurred. But yeah, it doesn't change the fact that he ignored me for all those weeks.

It's very hard because I care so much about him. This is terrible news, I don't want him to be sad or stressed out. But I can't get past how he ignored me for so long..and then seeing him on Match.

I'd just express condolences, but make him WORK for the friendship rather than ignoring you for long periods of time. .

I agree with LavenderDove and would take that thought a step further -- he hasn't been much of a friend to you, and he doesn't deserve your friendship.

He doesn't even deserve the chance to work for your friendship.

I don't know when the death occurred. But yeah, it doesn't change the fact that he ignored me for all those weeks.

It's very hard because I care so much about him. This is terrible news, I don't want him to be sad or stressed out. But I can't get past how he ignored me for so long..and then seeing him on Match.

He wasn't too sad or stressed to get himself on dating sites!

I think you can respond by simply expressing the appropriate condolences and leave it at that. Clearly, if he truly felt like you two were together and close he would have told you about the death long before now. I think this makes it very clear that you are really on the sidelines of his life. His contact simply warrants and expression of condolences like you would do for anyone who contacted you with news of a death in the family. I would not say anything more to him..there just wouldn't be any point..the writing is on the wall.

I think this is the best advice.

He wasn't too sad or stressed to get himself on dating sites!

True. I don't know, I have a feeling the death has occurred within the last few days, though. But still, I know he hasn't been there for me.

I'll probably end up contacting him just because it's a terrible tragedy - I don't know which son-in-law died, but he has grandbabies from both daughters. It's terrible, sad news.

If the death did occur in the last few days, then it is even worse for him to be using this as a reason for not contacting you. I can't blame you for caring because that's the type of person you are. But if he needs a friend right now and is contacting you for that, he doesn't deserve it. He can't pick and choose when to be friends.

he is using the death as an excuse for his own bad behavior now that he's in the mood to talk to you again.

i would almost guarantee that is what happened. he really has no regard for your feelings. he wants to talk to you when its convenient for him and thats it. he probably felt guilty for ignoring your contact and used this as an excuse to get back in touch.

personally i would send my condolenses and be the better and bigger person, but if it would set you back greatly, i can understand why you want to ignore this contact.

You know what bothers me about all this?? Aside from the fact he's been an asshat to you...is that he is using HIS loss to burden YOU. A person who he KNOWS has been through hell herself...and who he has not even bothered to check in on.THAT is not something a 'friend' would do....PERIOD.

Why not just say 'I'm sorry to hear of your loss, please offer my condolences to your family'.

Therefore you've covered the politeness base and can run back round to the NC base. Your message doesn't require a reply and therefore doesn't keep you hanging around waiting for him, but it settles your own anxiety about appearing insensitive to his pain (despite him being entirely insensitive to yours).

You know what bothers me about all this?? Aside from the fact he's been an asshat to you...is that he is using HIS loss to burden YOU. A person who he KNOWS has been through hell herself...and who he has not even bothered to check in on.THAT is not something a 'friend' would do....PERIOD.

Yup..........

Applause, applause.

It's also very possible he's running to MissKitty because his online match(es) didn't work out.

I know he hasn't treated me so good, but it was a tragedy in his family and maybe I will respond. It's the right thing to do. And it's not a big deal, I guess. He doesn't even live here, so it's not like he would be asking to see me anytime soon. I can handle one email or phone call.

My concern is that you will write or email him back to be 'nice' and you may not even get a response. And if you're being honest with yourself..part of the reason you want to talk to him is to see if he will even explain himself and his behavior towards you. I only say this because of the recent threads you have written about him. Can you honestly be nice to him ...after ALL the anger and hurt you you have felt..without EVER expecting an explanation or an apology?? And why is it the 'right thing' to do?? Where is that written?? If it's to ease your OWN conscience that's fine, but don't stuff your own

feelings for the sake of his. He doesn't deserve it IMO.

My concern is that you will write or email him back to be 'nice' and you may not even get a response. And if you're being honest with yourself..part of the reason you want to talk to him is to see if he will even explain himself and his behavior towards you. I only say this because of the recent threads you have written about him. Can you honestly be nice to him ...after ALL the anger and hurt you you have felt..without EVER expecting an explanation or an apology?? And why is it the 'right thing' to do?? Where is that written?? If it's to ease your OWN conscience that's fine, but don't stuff your own

feelings for the sake of his. He doesn't deserve it IMO.

I think at this point I would be okay with no response. He's been out of my life for awhile now. I just feel badly about this guy dying and the impact it will have on my sort-of-ex and his family (his daughters and grandbabies).

Archived