Is it just me or is this a little extreme...

HellFrost666

I started volunteering a couple weeks ago at a no kill shelter. Over the weekend I fostered a kitten who was brought in after being caught in a raccoon trap.

After having her here for three days I decided to adopt her. My girlfriend was completely enamored with her and I got the feeling that she wanted to stay here with us anyway.

I was at the shelter today doing some work. First thing when I got there I told them that I wanted to adopt this kitten. And the lady who takes care of adoptions asked me what other animals I have. I told her my Roommate has one cat.

She asked me if my Roommate's cat is fixed. He is, but when I told her that she acted like she didn't believe me. She wanted me to call my roommate and ask what Vet Clinic his cat was fixed at so they could make sure. I told her my roommate is at work right now and if I call him he won't answer his phone.

But, I remember when my roommate first got his cat and I remember him taking the cat in to be fixed. I thought I remembered what clinic it was so I told her "I think it was X..." She asked for my roommate's name and she called that clinic. The clinic she called never had any record of my roommate going in there. I told her this was over five years ago and I am not entirely sure if that's where he took the cat to be fixed.

So... and this is where it get's weird. She told me that I would have to bring my roommate's cat into the shelter so they could check him and make sure he was fixed. And that's not even all... She asked me if he was a short haired or long haired cat. Well, he's long haired. She told me since he's long haired they would have to shave his lower stomach so they can see his stuff better and that I would have to pay a fee for them to do this.

I told her my roommate is not going to go for that. I said I know the cat is fixed and I know I can't prove it but can't they just trust me on this one?

She stood there quiet for a few seconds. This whole time I was holding the kitten and the kitten was sticking to me like velcro. So after she thought this over for a few seconds she asked to see the kitten. She said she wanted to see how well I had taken care of her all weekend. When she took the kitten away from me the kitten went nuts fighting her and trying to get back to me.

So, she told me she was going to approve the adoption "against her better judgment" and that she doesn't believe I am telling the truth about my roommate's cat being fixed. She said it's obvious the kitten really is attached to me and wants to be with me. So she told me I have to have the vet fax a summary to her every time the kitten goes in for anything, be it shots or to be fixed or declawed. And she made it very clear that if I don't keep up on veterinary care that the shelter will take the kitten away from me.

This whole experience left such a bad taste in my mouth. I've been volunteering with this shelter for a couple weeks and I've seen them handle other adoptions. They've never been this demanding on anyone else.

So much seems wrong here... The fact that I volunteer there and they have this low opinion of me, yet they keep allowing me to come back. The fact that they pretty much called me a liar. The fact that she went ahead with the adoption "against her better judgment."

I know the shelter has a mission that they are trying to stick to. And I completely understand why they expect people to have animals fixed and updated on shots and all that. I agree with all that. But does anyone else see something wrong with this or is it just me? I've never adopted from a shelter before, so maybe this is normal and I am just ignorant.

Wow, what a witch. Oops, misspelled that one. Don't you hate that when people act like you are lying? And it's like, hello, who are you to judge? I would be annoyed too but at the same time, her opinion isn't representative of the entire shelter, plus she's only known you for a couple weeks, and you did not go there with the intent of adopting a pet, whereas people who do maybe are more likely to be prepared.

Side note, why don't you just get the cat spayed? Even if your roommate's cat is fixed, that's not to say your cat won't go outside & get pregnant. That would probably happen, actually. She might get off your back a bit more if you do. You could also ask your roommate where he got his cat fixed, call it & see if they still have record of it, THEN tell her so you will know for sure the evidence is there that it's true.

That doesn't seem right. I know some shelters can be very strict, but there is no need to be rude. If it needs to be proven that your roommate's cat is fixed, she could have said, "I'm sorry, but it's policy here for us to get proof that the cat is fixed." Accusing you of lying is not cool.

Well to me it sounds like SHE thinks SHE is better than you. SHE has no right to ask you to bring in your room mates cat in so she can check it out who the hell does she think she is. If you keep the kitten then you should have it desexed and show the almighty one that it's been done but as for letting her know about every vet check well i think it's abit extreme. Not sure if i agree with declawing though. The only way they can take the kitten off you is if it is found to be misstreated.

I would not go back there to do anywork but if your keen on helping maybe find another shelter that appreciates you.

It sounds as though this woman is on a power trip. It sounds as though that's the way she is - but she wouldn't get away with this kind of behaviour towards members of the public or she'd never get any animals adopted. But she thinks she can get away with it with you!

I've got a colleague like this (who is mercifully only there one day a week) and the only way to deal with people like this and keep your sanity is to let their petty, demanding, obstructive comments float straight past you like gum wrappers in the breeze, and remind yourself that they are the one with the problem. I bet she looks upon herself as a really caring person, too!

Wow...just wow....

Do they want their animals to be adopted? Because if I hadn't absolutely fallen in love with an animal, I would have turn tailed and not even bothered by the demands this woman was asking of me. How ridiculous.

She obviously isn't very important and has no kind of social ranking or else she wouldn't be so demanding and sadistic in this job. As soon as people who feel like they don't have any power in life get a little power, they abuse the hell out of it...

Are you planning on having the kitten declawed/is that a demand of the shelter? Because if it's not a demand I'd think twice before you do it, it's a cruel, painful procedure for a cat and leaves it almost defenseless. It's clear you care deeply for the cat and I'm sure you wouldn't want to put it through that amount of suffering unless its totally needed.

Wow...just wow....

Do they want their animals to be adopted? Because if I hadn't absolutely fallen in love with an animal, I would have turn tailed and not even bothered by the demands this woman was asking of me. How ridiculous.

She obviously isn't very important and has no kind of social ranking or else she wouldn't be so demanding and sadistic in this job. As soon as people who feel like they don't have any power in life get a little power, they abuse the hell out of it...

I considered just giving up. I wasn't going to let her shave my roommate's cat's stomach just so she could see that he was fixed.

The kitten put up such a fight when she took it though. It was pretty funny, actually. She hissed and batted at this woman and tried to wiggle away from her. Then when the lady handed the kitten back to me she clung to me like she was traumatized. I am a firm believer that animals choose their owners and it's obvious the kitten wants to stay here with us. She cried and yawled this morning when I put her in the carrier and took her out of the house.

I posted a pic of her in another thread... but what the hell:

image removed

image removed

That bottom pic is kind of weird... Her face kind of gets lost in all the fur. She almost looks deformed.

Are you planning on having the kitten declawed/is that a demand of the shelter? Because if it's not a demand I'd think twice before you do it, it's a cruel, painful procedure for a cat and leaves it almost defenseless. It's clear you care deeply for the cat and I'm sure you wouldn't want to put it through that amount of suffering unless its totally needed.

I thought my landlord would make me get her declawed, but he isn't putting that condition on me. I don't really know if the shelter expects me to or not. She mentioned that I would have to show proof of every vet visit even declawing... but she never actually said I must have her declawed.

In all honesty I don't want to have her decalwed because I don't really agree with it. People say they do it so cats won't destroy furniture and stuff. My roommate's cat isn't declawed and he doesn't tear up our furniture or anything.

Archimedes would be a great name.....

I am so getting an owl and naming him "the duke". I've wanted to since I was 17 and learned you can keep owls as pets (although they are quite mean...)

I know someone who had one for a while.

Now this guy has a crow. I don't know what happened to the owl, I think it died.

Big, hUge THANK YOU to you and GF for adopting this kitten, and also for your service to the other animals you've invested your time and efforts in helping.

I wouldn't lump this woman's control-freakism into a statement about the whole shelter and everyone else in it. This experience is a refection on one woman, and it's got zero to do with what 'they' think of you--so please don't do that.

You've already described yourself in past threads as looking not exactly traditional and as being a quiet guy. While this combo may have exposed you to unfair judgments from others in the past, I wouldn't parlay that experience into a judgment of all people who've opted to capitalize on one woman's hyper-devotion to the creatures you all care about.

The woman has seen her share of young people adopt animals for wrong reasons only to harm them even unintentionally--she's seen a lot. Given your relative youth, she likely holds a hard bias against 'your kind' (j/k) but I think you're too smart not to roll with it for the sake of the animals you want to help and the others there who can roll an eye behind her back and appreciate your work and your intentions.

This might be unpopular, but I'd cater to the old bulldog and let her believe in her own supremacy. If she honestly believed you'd harm the cat, she wouldn't have given in--she just needs to feel important, and that doesn't need to be any skin off your nose. JUST STAY OFF HER LAWN!

In your corner, and my best,

Cat

PS. Beautiful pics, and I agree with your position on declawing--especially given that it would position her badly in a household with a fully clawed cat.

You make some interesting points... This puts the whole thing into a different perspective. I don't know how long she's been doing this, but maybe she has seen a lot of botched adoptions.

In my time volunteering there she's never been particularly friendly to me. But, the more I think about it, she's not really friendly to anyone.

Yea... my roommate's cat is not only fully clawed, but he's huge too. She is literally the size of his head.

And she's already been through enough... She was caught in a coon trap. I am sure she doesn't need the trauma of declawing on top of that.

Helly, this is pretty normal. When I did cat rescue and people adopted cats from me, I made them fill out a ton of paperwork, I investigated any other animals that they had and I made them sign a contract saying that they would never declaw. We are very thorough because we've put alot of money into these cats and they dont go to just anyone. I cant tell you how many people I've turned down for various reasons.

It sounds like she was just trying to guarantee a good home for the kitten. And at least you get to adopt her!! That's great!! So, let this whole go and take her to the vet!! Then just show the lady the paperwork. No problem. Dont let her get to you. She's just trying to be sure the kitten gets a good home. I"ve been called so many different names, some of them very imaginative, lol because I"ve declined interested adopters.

Oh and you do not have to get her declawed. But you so have to get her spayed and vaccinated.

Good luck with your little "Hellfire". lol

Archived