24 and never had a girlfriend

dave_d4

You know, I was onced forced to watch the first Bridget Jones movie in an English class (my first language is not english, I am from Eastern-Europe). I pretty much hated the movie. I also thought, that Bridget girl just needs to chill out, take it easy, not be so desperate. Little did I know, a few years down, I would be on the verge of turning into the male version of her... oh the irony

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the advice chanceit and 1899. I am currenly also seriously sleep deprived... so... I am more emotional and not thinking as clearly as I usually do. But still, I think I need to get over my social anxieties. If I can do it myself, or will I need help, I don't know, because I have never really tried. But the best thing to do atm, I think, is to sleep on it.

I just thought Id add this little thought to the BE SOCIAL message.

I Posted about this girl awhile back.....

There was this girl that I tried to ask out to a softball game the next day in person in front of her gf after i had talked to her on the phone the night before. Her response was shaking her head no slowly like she was saying "sorry, but no". So i said well ill see ya around. (and yes shes a tall 9.5 out of 10)

Well since I know and talk to alot of guys when im around her I always try to look like im having such a good time conversing with them, smiling and laughing. I even spontaniously plan times to meet up places on the weekends when shes nearby.

I figure this makes me look like a fun person to be with and that shes missing out! I let her see that I can have a social life without her.

Of course if I stand around holding up the wall looking sad then she will figure im a boring looser. (which i catch her herself doing somtimes)

Every now and then i catch her looking at me, but shes got to come to me now if she wants to be included in my social circle 8)

Hold your head up guys! Get to know the guys around the girls!

lol readin some of the members posts the wealth successful ones woow i wonder. i mean if u have money and a great job i really think any women would want u. well that what my mom said, ah don;t care about gurls right now just focus on ur studies , get a great job and loads of money and any girl would want u. not sure if its a cultural thing -we are chinese.

but i think since the guy and gal go out the guy pays mostly right and if he can spoil her she would like him even more, don;t tell me nice dinners, nice clothes,.... nice things women or even ppl don;'t like come on.

the guys who got money and great jobs are just plain social indept and got no game. come on bmw drving around no gal going go crazy come on and on top of it ur handsome too. man it just a bunch a crap

• 1 month later...

I don't understand why some people on this thread are so upset that they have never dated, never had a girlfriend. I have never dated, never had a girlfriend, but it doesn't bother me........there are many advantages to not having a girlfriend...time alone....more time for yourself....of course I do eventually want a girlfriend and to get married, but you know you need to learn to appreciate what you do have. Maybe life is unfair, but who cares. Appreciate what you have, and make the most of it. Enjoy your life because you only live on earth once (unless you believe in reincarnation)......anyway....have fun....enjoy yourself, whether you have a girlfriend or not......don't worry Shinobie....there IS someone out there for you....and for me too...but even if thats not true...who cares.....enjoy life@!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

you know you need to learn to appreciate what you do have. Maybe life is unfair, but who cares. Appreciate what you have, and make the most of it. Enjoy your life

Amen to that. Enjoy your life and all that you have. You don't need a relationship to be complete. And love always seems to find you when your not looking. So just don't worry about it.

• 4 weeks later...

The best thing you can really do is to talk to more hot chicks lol. I mean seriously how will you get better talking to women you don't find attractive? I gets you nowhere, and PERFECT practice means perfection. So go out there, and strike up a conversation with some girl you find attractive, whether it be school, Starbucks, anywhere! Just do it!

i am the same way i have never had a girlfriend and get shy to talk to girls i like. i can kinda talk to girls when i see them as just friends. it gets anoying all my friends think im gay and hate it. i see all of them with their gfs and i feel so down.

Ya i know that it can be really hard when people accuse you of being gay. WHen I was younger numerous people said I was gay!!!!!! It really hurt!!!!!!

i am the same way i have never had a girlfriend and get shy to talk to girls i like. i can kinda talk to girls when i see them as just friends. it gets anoying all my friends think im gay and hate it. i see all of them with their gfs and i feel so down.

If people are calling you guy just tell them their right, you are happy and having a gay ol' time. Seriously, don't pay any attention to those people.They are the ones with the problem, needing to put you down as well as being insulting to gay people just to make themselves feel better. You know the truth and your true friends do as well. That's all that really matter.

All I can say is that if you go too long without interacting with the opposite sex, such as relationships and sex, you're going to be in a world of hurt. I know a guy who is like 28 and has never had sex or been in a relationship. He is very depressed and that really doesn't help his situation because you can't approach women feeling that way. This is just a simple example, but you can bet the bank that the longer you wait the harder its going to be.

When you get older, you are expected to be "experienced." Women, especially older women, are very turned off by men who are "inexperienced." You don't have to make women your only goal in life, but you better get out there and get some experience unless you want to be alone for the rest of your life, or settle for someone you aren't really into, if at all. Being alone can have a dramatic affect on your well-being, don't fool yourself into thinking you would enjoy it, we are human beings after all.

Hey dave,

yeah i know how you feel....the funny part is i am normally a really out going person...at least i have been openly for since the 7th grade...before then i was so shy i couldn't speak to any one....now i can and am rather good at making a fool of myself....but my shy streak still leaks out around guys...well guys i like that is... i get all weird ..and i can't talk....and the best i can do is smile and nod...and then run to the nearest restroom to puke.....the first time my best friend set me up with a guy we stayed at her house...over night...and i suppose she expected me to ...well to get everything done....i freaked out...we watched movies..and he tried to initiate conversations...and so on and finally he tried to kiss me...well i kissed him...but when he was done i had to get out of there and get myself to a bathroom so i could pass out privately...it was no a pretty site....so yeah i know where you come from...i don't have much good advice except to maybe keep at it and train yourself to deal with it...it can be done i believe...i sure hope so....lol....also when you find the really perfect girl for you...i think it will be easier...just relax and tell yourself it doesn't matter...if you were having problems talking to someone of your same sex...i would say imagine them naked...because then you can think that they should be more embarrassed than you...but in this case i think that might just excite you...lol....so think of something weird about them....like their clothes are inside out...or (since it's a girl) that they have a mustache....this might cause you to be repulsed...but don't worry the first thing to do is be able to have a conve....then when you are comfortable with the chick ...you can dispense with the mustache...lol...and move on to better things...i hope you get this worked out...(i hope i do too)...lol...good luck

• 6 years later...

I have a friend who is overweight and not pleasant to the eyes + english isn't his first language so his speaking is not the easiest on the ear either.

I noticed that when we go out and order food or do something that forces conversation with girls (young ones in particular) they would smile at me and immediate upon seeing and hearing him, they would frown and I don't think they are doing it intentionally.

I think its how some girls just act how they feel and if you pay very detailed attention it would definitely discourage you which is the case with my friend.

On another note I don't have a girlfriend and I'm in mid 20s myself (girls never see me in that way) so the end result I should be equally upset as my friend right? But he is clearly 10x more upset about it because he is always comparing himself to me/other guys, don't do this! If I compared myself to some of the successful/handsome/charming guys I'd be depressed too right? =)

Feel good about yourself and it will help your confidence, I know that a lot of guys freak out when they see a pretty girl (I am definitely one of these guys but fortunately for me the more nervous/shy/intimidated I feel the more confident I act since I "perform under pressure well" but not the case with most people) because you always think shes too good for you and you are thinking that because you are comparing yourself once again.

Put her on the same level as yourself as a equal no matter who she might be and laugh off rejection or things girls might do to hurt you, love is something to find and pursue it usually doesn't fall out of the sky while you do nothing to obtain it (especially true for guys).

• 2 weeks later...

I've read several of these posts and too know what this is like. I've never had a girlfriend or had a kiss with one. I assume maybe I just have bad luck, or something. It sucks because I know people would be super surprised if I ever get one, and when I tell people I don't have one, when they ask, they just say oh poor you. It really doesn't help at all. I am trying now to expand my interests and get back into exercising, but it is not easy when you are surrounded by people who have someone. I know how you all feel. Luckily I've never gotten "are you gay?" question by anybody...yet...

Archived