What IS "Fitness"?

In a recent thread, one of our members has been going on about the declining fitness of people (and particularly, women) in society. I find the use of the word "fitness" interesting here. As some of you might know, I started working out a few months ago after trying out for the female rugby team at my school and realizing that, despite being less overweight (I was not, in fact, clinically overweight, but certainly on the high side of "normal") than many girls on the team, they outperformed me in every way--particularly in terms of cardiovascular stamina. It was at that point that I realized that being "fit" was not about being "skinny". I could diet my way to thinness, and still never be able to keep up with these girls. I realized that exercise was about way more than getting into a smaller jean size. This made me more open to exercising, made me love my body more.

I was always under the impression that "fit" meant possessing the quality of fitness, which is an aspect of health, and which does not necessarily indicate "being thin". However, it seems that a lot of guys ( as well as the media ) nowadays use the term "fit" as a politically correct way to say "skinny". While I'll agree that many fit people are also leaner, "skinny" does not equal "fit". What I mean is--an overweight person and a skinny person who do not exercise are, arguably, at the same level of fitness. While I would venture to say that someone who is twenty pounds or more overweight is less likely to be fit than someone who is "thin" to "normal", I think it IS very possible for an overweight person to be more fit than a skinny person (but, of course, it is the overweight person, and not the skinny person who gets the most flack!). I do not consider myself "thin", being a size 7-9, but I would say that I am relatively "fit", in that I possess cardiovascular fitness and muscular fitness. Am I wrong? Does fitness not come in many shapes and sizes?

It depends what your goal is. If your goal is to play a sport like rugby, you want to be toned and have a ton of stamina. If you want to play football, you may want to bulk up and increase your strength. If you're a marathon runner, you'll want to build up your cardio. It all depends on you.

I'd have to agree with you on that one. Actually, I read an article that compared the body composition and diet of a few women and found the heaviest of them (who also was considered overweight by BMI), had a lower body fat percentage than the thinnest. She also had a healthier diet and worked out more. I also know some women who are very thin but pretty much just sickly.

It was at that point that I realized that being "fit" was not about being "skinny".

So true. Funny thing is that when I use the term fit, WOMEN misinterpret it to mean skinny.

However, it seems that a lot of guys ( as well as the media ) nowadays use the term "fit" as a politically correct way to say "skinny".

Not this guy. I don't like fat girls or skinnyfat girls (skinny w/ high bodyfat %). Of course, the latter are harder to detect when clothed.

I agree with you.

I've observed people in the gym and I've seen a lot of overweight people outrun/exercise many of the thin people.

I am about your size as well and I am in much better shape than a lot of girls half my size.

Many of the skinny folk at my gym [ mainly teenage girls ] generally use the cardio machines [ bikes etc. ] and I swear, if they went any slower, they would be completely immobile. And they generally only last about 5 or 10 minutes before they call it quits.

The one half are too tired after their "strenuous" workout.

The other half don't even break a sweat. From the speed, duration and resistance level of their workout, their heart rate is probably not anywhere over 85 bpm. I'm talking really slow!!!

Many of them simply sit on the machines, gossip and pick at their nails.

Maybe I'm just generalizing or assuming but I wouldn't doubt that many of them believe themselves to be fit because they are thin and go to the gym [ even though they don't even work out ].

I hate how the words "fit" and "skinny" are used synonomously. It's just simply not correct.

I agree with you. I'm small, but not exactly skinny. I'm just petite. I'm 17% body fat but it's mostly in my lower body. But I workout 5-6 days a week. I do spinning once a week and see my trainer once a week. I'm definitely fit. It may not necessarily look like it, but I am.

And to back up your point, my best friend is either a size 0 or 2. I'm a size 6. I went to visit her recently and we took a five mile hike through the mountains with her friends. Her one friend and I were at the front the hole time, setting the pace and at the end I wanted to do it all over again. She made it through but it was rough for some spots for her. So even though she is significantly skinner than me and has a "better body," I am definitely more fit than she is.

I agree with you. "Fit" is also, sometimes, about being comfortable with yourself and the way you look.

Two years ago I began working out. Every single day, sometimes 2-3 times a day. However, when I met my ex, I stopped working out--he didn't really see a need in me doing so. I felt worse than I did before I met him, when I actually did work out.

Now that he's out of my life, I'm working out again. Not as much at the moment, but I'm still doing it, and I'm beginning to feel more "fit" again.

Actually, I'm gonna start getting up at 7:00AM every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and go to the gym at my school.

Fit isn't about being skinny though. I lost weight 2.5-3 years ago, got down to 100 lbs, and people thought I was anorexic. However, when I got to 120 lbs, people said I looked better and healthier. Apparently I have a body frame that makes me look a little bit smaller than what I am.

....Did my post have much of anything to do with this topic?

I think you're absolutely right. "Fit" has become a politically correct term for "not overweight". It means different things to different people though.

In response to some of the comments in this thread, I also want to point out that skinny people can be fit too. I'm a size zero and can outrun and out-lift 98% of the women at my gym.

Just so ya know, I wasn't trying to say that skinny people couldn't be fit. "fitness" sometimes results in the development of a body type that is geared towards a certain niche...for example, runners tend to be lean with a low percentage of bodyfat. However, I didn't intend to try and define a perfect body type. What I mean is, lots of bodies can be fit, and while it's not healthy to be very overweight (or underweight, for that matter), you don't have to be a size zero to be fit and healthy.

I agree with you, Diabolik. I don't see that woman as skinny--to me, skinny is someone who is all skin and bones. I guess I just don't understand why being "skinny" without being "fit" should be glorified at all. As a person who is not skinny, I feel disadvantaged because society looks at me and says--"she's not skinny", and infers that I'm not fit or healthy. It's fine if you look that way naturally, but why should the rest of us strive to be be skin and bones when we could have healthy, fit (but --GASP--maybe NOT skinny) bodies that matched our frame, genetics, lifestyles, or what have you?

I guess I just don't understand why being "skinny" without being "fit" should be glorified at all. As a person who is not skinny, I feel disadvantaged because society looks at me and says--"she's not skinny", and infers that I'm not fit or healthy. It's fine if you look that way naturally, but why should the rest of us strive to be be skin and bones when we could have healthy, fit (but --GASP--maybe NOT skinny) bodies that matched our frame, genetics, lifestyles, or what have you?

Skinny without being fit looks better visually than overweight without being fit, well, at least to me. Unless we're talking sickly skinny. So if I had to choose, I would prefer a skinnyfat girl over a fat girl. Of course, I prefer fit women most of all.

Strive to be healthy and fit - you will look great, feel great, and exude confidence. And that is hawt!

Yep, I agree with you. I can tell when my workouts are paying off, not just by how I appear, but by how STRONG I feel during regular life stuff--such as lugging laundry and moving groceries up 2 flights of stairs. It's not just about lung power, I often feel like I could whip these heavy things around, where before they'd cause me to struggle. It's a great feeling.

if you take care of yourself by working out and eating right, i'd consider you into fitness. sure and occasional splurge here and there, but for the most part you try and take care of your body as much as possible. that's fitness to me. if i met a girl that isn't ripped with abs or too much definition, she could still be into fitness. eventually, she'd be ripped though if she was doing the right things.

Archived