Why do I look so awkward and ugly in photos than in real life?

I hate taking pictures with a passion because I look horrible in them. When I look in the mirror I can tolerate how I look sometimes but it's a little frustrating to know how I really look. It really effects my self esteem. I always look different in certain places, better than others. This goes for photos too. I always look awkward and ugly in photographs and I try to avoid pictures like the plague. I wonder sometimes if I have body dysmorphic disorder. I'm too obsessed with how I look and what are people are thinking. I would to be confident and relax and to care less about my appearance. I hate everything about my face.. my big nose, teeth everything. I have no problem attracting people, I just wish I could feel attractive myself.

For some reason some people's facial features don't translate well in a non three dimensional state. LIghting and shadows can hit certain facial features in a way that makes them look not as appealing in the one dimensional realm.

HAs little to do with overall attractiveness (assuming the people in quesiton are attractive in 4D).

Its the same with some people you see who are not all that great looking in real life but they take these really great pics. Their features DO translate better in one dimension.

I take horrible pictures. Not many of them around of me. Can't stand looking at 'em. lol

same ugg, guess some people just arnt very photogenic

Well I for one BLAME the Cell phones! They take the worst photos. My daughter to me is the most beautiful little girl in the world and yet let my Cell phone's quality give the story and it made even her (a total beauty queen) look totally different. I looked at the photo I looked at her..and I said to hell with the cell phone. If it can make even her look awkward than I'm not so worried anymore!

I agree with you Scorpio, i have maybe three pics that i feel decent in. I've had others comment that i look much better in person. Think of it this way, would you not rather look better in person than on film??

I've never been photogenic and that is okay. As long as you feel attractive in person (except on bad hair days) that is all that matters.

LOL - I still have a driver's licence pic from 10 years ago because it is actually flattering. That's how pathetic i am.

Well, I look a lot better in photos than real life - it's not actually that great, to be honest. People look at my pics and are like 'oh my god, that's YOU?!' lol. I'd rather be better looking in real life than in my photos.

I think it's just about the way your face works, it doesn't mean much really. I always feel a bit of a cheat when I do online dating, because I know that I don't look as good in real life as in my photos!!!

I agree with you Scorpio, i have maybe three pics that i feel decent in. I've had others comment that i look much better in person. Think of it this way, would you not rather look better in person than on film??

I've never been photogenic and that is okay. As long as you feel attractive in person (except on bad hair days) that is all that matters.

LOL - I still have a driver's licence pic from 10 years ago because it is actually flattering. That's how pathetic i am.

HA HA SO DO I!!!!!!!! I thought i was the only goober to do that. It was the best pic i had ever taken LOL

you're in canada right....wait till you have to do the new passport like drivers license...it's atrocious!!! I am totally embarrassed to show mine!

Oh wow, you're just like me! I hate having my picture taken because most of the time my face gets distorted somehow, especially when photos are taken with digital cameras. There are a handful of pictures of me that have out great, and some of those were actually driver's license photos.

The fact is, some people just aren't photogenic. They may be quite attractive in person, but photographs don't show it. I remember a friend of mine once showing me pictures of one of his friends. The guy didn't look very impressive in the photos, in fact he looked very average, but when I actually met him I was blown away by how handsome he was.

Some average people, on the other hand, are so photogenic you can't take a bad picture of them. I've seen this happen. I've seen women less attractive than me in person look 10 times better in photographs. It's so frustrating!

I remember reading a photographer's message board once, and several of them were trying to photograph models. Some were complaining that the girl was gorgeous in person, but they couldn't do a thing to make her look gorgeous on film. I suspect some women don't get modeling jobs because their beauty just isn't captured on film.

My brother is a rather good-looking guy, but most photos of him come out looking terrible.

I've found that when I see pictures of myself right after they're taken, I get really upset. After some time has gone by, some of them actually start to look good. Part of it the problem is I'm super critical of myself. But I know what you're dealing with. I've had the same problem my whole life.

Same here, I look horrible in photos!! I consider myself attractive but not in photos. I come out very awkward! Friends get mad at me cause I hate taking pictures, they ask me why I don't put my pictures on facebook, I just really hate it! Honestly, when I go to a special event like say a wedding where I know lots of pictures are going to be taken, I go into a panic attack beforehand lol!

Same here, I look horrible in photos!! I consider myself attractive but not in photos. I come out very awkward! Friends get mad at me cause I hate taking pictures, they ask me why I don't put my pictures on facebook, I just really hate it! Honestly, when I go to a special event like say a wedding where I know lots of pictures are going to be taken, I go into a panic attack beforehand lol!

I actually love knowing there are other camera phobes out there. It gives me a warm and cozy feeling.

I actually love knowing there are other camera phobes out there. It gives me a warm and cozy feeling.

You know the only reason I would fret being stopped by the police is because I'd have to show my license. Sooo embarrassing.

It's cool to know I'm not the only one like this. Sometimes it depresses me because I look at the photos and it's like.. OMG do I really look this awkward and horrible in person?

What I do find weird is when I take webcam photos of myself.. I actually look very decent compared to a digital photo recording when I'm outside or somewhere other than my room with my webcam. But I take great webcam pics because I can change the resolution,saturation,white balance,gamma,hue to a style that I like. I can actually make myself appear to look very model like.

But this confuses me like crazy because I don't know how I look. When I look at the mirror at home, I see myself looking decent. When I'm at a store.. every blemish is shown and my complexion looks horrible compared to when I was at home. So I don't get how I really look because everything seems to showing me something different. I'm too scared to even meet someone off of facebook who see's my webcam photos because I'm scared they may not like the face their seeing in person. I get a lot of compliments from people on the webcam pics but I don't know. I just want to be more secure in how I look..

Yeah webcams tend to be a LOT more flattering! Don't worry, you're not the only one. In certain places I also feel like I look horrible, depends on the lights,dimming, and other factors. I, for example, don't look good at night. Like when I go out and it's dark out, even when I'm dressed nice and have makeup on, the darkness (I don't mean complete darkness because DUH! nobody can see in complete darkness) makes me look completely different, as if I weren't made up and had no makeup on. And other people look great. Still, don't worry about it to much because after all, photos, webcams, and all that are not real life. If you don't look well in a photo, who cares, at least you look better in person!

Oh yeah and I also hate that some mirrors are more flattering than others. Like at home before I go off to school, I look great. I look at myself plenty of times and feel nice and pretty. When I get to school and use the bathrooms there, it's a whole different story, I look at myself and think, what? I hate those mirrors!!

you're in canada right....wait till you have to do the new passport like drivers license...it's atrocious!!! I am totally embarrassed to show mine!

I had my Passport photo taken recently and it is so embarrassing...it looks like a mug shot because you are not allowed to smile.

I am kind of half and half with photos...in some I look really good and in others I look terrible. Now don't get me started on how my voice sounds on tape...I hate it!

I had my Passport photo taken recently and it is so embarrassing...it looks like a mug shot because you are not allowed to smile.

I am kind of half and half with photos...in some I look really good and in others I look terrible. Now don't get me started on how my voice sounds on tape...I hate it!

haha yeah my mom hates that too. She's like "Do I actually sound like that? how horrible!!" Luckily it's not a very accurate representation of our voices either.

I love the way I look on the webcam. as a result, i love webcam sex!

ok, too much info I know

You naughty Minx!.....ok...new topic...

Has anyone who's had a child ever noticed that you almost forget how big you got until some kind lad (sarcasm) takes a nice photo of you and when you see it you go..."WHOA"?

This happened to me a while ago..I said "omg i'm a bloated cow"....

Can I just chalk it up to a bad camera.....?

Simon Cowell would have said "Clearly you have missed the size 10 category, you are a bloated sack of meat loaf"

Archived