Why do I look so awkward and ugly in photos than in real life?

I'm not photogenic either. I look at myself in the mirror and think, "All right... not bad..." and then when I see pictures of me from even just a little bit later I think, "Ugh... that's awful!"

I've dealt with it by generally taking pictures with weird faces (see avatar). Not only are photos with strange faces judged by a different standard, but I also feel like I look legitimately better in many of my weird-face pictures.

people with small features look best in pictures. i look diff in pictures too lol. sometimes really good, sometimes really bad. meh!

because of the damn facebook trend, its so hard to run away from pictures.

I have small features and still look real bad in pictures. I have even been told that I look better in person by multiple people.

Sometimes, I'll take a pic of myself before going out and if I look ok in the pic, then I feel I'm ready to go out. (strange huh?)

people with small features look best in pictures. i look diff in pictures too lol. sometimes really good, sometimes really bad. meh!

because of the damn facebook trend, its so hard to run away from pictures.

Yes, this is absolutely right. I have quite a round race and a biggish chin. I look HORRID in photos. I avoid them at all costs. I have had many people (not just my parents) tell my I'm attractive in real life, so I think it's just the photos.

The same goes for unattractive people with small features- they look fantastic in photos.

Yeah, if you're trying on-line dating, being non-photogenic sucks. People think you're hiding something if you don't have your picture posted - either that you're a lot older, uglier, or weigh a lot more than you say in your profile.

When I did link removed, I had someone photoshop my pictures because I really did look distorted in them. The person did a good job, because my now boyfriend commented on our first date that he was relieved that I looked like my picture.

Yeah I notice I don't look good on pictures either so I tend not to appear often in group pictures unless its the biggest group one they do in the situation.

Also, even if I am not drunk and don't appear to be one in real life, I look drunk in the photo, what the hell right? Haha.

• 2 years later...

This is an old thread but I got depressed looking at recent photos of myself so I went online looking for a bit of consolation.

I remember a funny line in a book that I've read a long time ago. It says, "He has the kind of face that makes me burst into tears every time I look at myself in the mirror." I'm like that when I see gorgeous pictures of photogenic people and then I look at my pictures...

I like to believe that I look decent in person but in pictures? I look like a FREAK! That's why I hate having my picture taken. I take one look at myself in photos and I just wanna die.](*,)

I've had people say that I look better in real life. Some even look surprised (in a positive way) when they see me in person for the first time.

Because of my total inability to take good pictures, I hide whenever there's a camera around. I don't post pictures of myself online, I don't give them to my friends even if they ask.

I wish I had "photogenic" genes.

People that have sharp features will photograph better. I am pretty much the opposite definition. I have a very round womanly face.

Models will usually have the big bone structure since that's what works with the camera.

• 1 year later...

Every picture of me looks like it's from a poster. You know, one of those with the words: "HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MAN?" and "DO NOT APPROACH" on it.

Actually, there is one photo that I remember where I don't look so much like a serial-killer, more like some kind of zombie.

I forgot my avatar photo until I posted this. That's not bad actually.

Archived