Drunk Dialing???

greenmonster

I'm just curious as to what everyones thoughts are on how much truth comes out when you get drunk dialed at 3am...

NOW HOLD UP....

I'm not talking about the... "I'm drunk, horney and desperate and wanna have sex with you becasue I don't know who else to call and will probably have sex with a tree stump or farm animal if you turn me down" drunk dial....

Or the friends that call you to tell you.. "I"M TOTALLY WASTED!!!! BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!" "OMG YOUR SLEEPING.. comE TO THE BARSh!!!"....nope...not talking about that one either...

I'm talking about the one thats when the other person has gotten drunk and emotional...the one thats more like..."you have no clue how much I love you...your Frickin AMAZING....I really REALLY love you....I know I'm drunk...but who cares....I AM TOTALLY Frickin IN LOVE WITH YOU!!!"

I'm one of those people that tends to believe in the latin expression "In Vino Veritas" meaning "there is truth in wine"....meaning that when people get drunk they tend to say things they honestly feel but wouldn't say sober because of their inhabitions...but then again...cant put TOO much trust in someone after 15 shots of tequila...

But what do yall think....

I would question the person's values, judgment, consideration and common sense both in choosing to get that drunk and choosing to call at that hour.

OK...well...this has nothing to do with what I asked...but thanks...

any thoughts outside of the "drinking is bad...calling late is rude" box?

Inhibitions are lost when alcohol is consumed. The subconscious speaks and the conscious has no control over it. I think it can be quite revealing.

That's true.

Alcohol = the great truth serum

That's why I don't drink. Too many secrets could get out.

Maybe this is not quite the answer you're looking for (sorry! but I think it's cowardice to make such a confession when you're heavily intoxicated.

It always gives that person a way out -- to deny what he/she said and laugh off the significance of what they said.

Maybe what they say IS the truth, maybe it's just alchol-induced gibberish, maybe we'll never get to the truth UNLESS and UNTIL that person musters up the courage to say it to your face and without being influenced by anything other than their sheer feelings and emotions towards you.

Just a thought.

Thing I find with drunk dialing is that it is not always the complete truth. There maybe the feeling there that is magnified by alcohol but once sober it may only be a fleeting feeling.

In my youth my friend told me about a guy he wanted to set me up with, I was three sheets to the wind and well thought how much I could love this guy and be with him...I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW HIM.

Even friends I have gone to the dark side once drunk but as sober I would never go there, ever.

Just a different way of looking at it.

I think the things people say when drunk do not really reflect the truth- a little alcohol might lower inhibitions and let some "truth" out there and there- but once the person is full fledged drunk, I think everything that comes out of their mouth is essentially nonsense.

I'll never forget the night that one of my good friends and I were hanging out at my house- she got a drunk dialed by an estranged ex who had cheated on her. She had not heard from him in months, yet he felt the need to call her at midnight and was saying things along those lines:

I'm talking about the one thats when the other person has gotten drunk and emotional...the one thats more like..."you have no clue how much I love you...your AMAZING....I really REALLY love you....I know I'm drunk...but who cares....I AM TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH YOU!!!"

She laughed hysterically- put her cell phone on speaker phone setting- and then put the phone on the ground and we began kicking it back and forth to one another like a soccor ball while laughing. The guy still kept talking on and on....

Drunk dialing is never a good idea.

my ex was a big time drunk dialer... i do think its what they are feeling at the moment..but i dont know how much of what they say can stand the test of time.

Its like they feel that way at the moment...but aren't ready or willing to go through with what they say when they are sober.

At least thats been my experience with the drunk dial or text.

Oh, actually my response was right on target. If that happened to me, I would consider whether they were telling "the truth" from the perspective of the person's choice and judgment in getting drunk and calling at that hour. So, even if it were technically "the truth" and the person truly had those feelings at that moment, I would be very suspicious over whether that was just a momentary/fleeting feeling since of course the person was comfortable making impulsive decisions without regard to the other person's situation.

That kind of person is highly likely to wake up the next day, think "wow, did I really call last night/say those thing?" and decide "well that was last night, today is today and now that I'm sober I feel differently." That's much less likely to happen with a person who thinks about the other person as well as himself and thinks about the seriousness of sharing feelings like that before sharing them.

i went over board with the whole truth telling when i was drunk and freaked a girl out cause i told her i loved her heaps.. so in conclusion, it can be a good thing to get things off your chest, but not the best way to approach certain situations

a lot of people let some truth out when they are drunk. very true. i've done it. but i also think alcohol enhances the truth. it makes things seem like a much bigger thing. like having a small crush on someone. when ur drunk it can turn into 'love' in a conversation. it just happens that later in the night the person is in fact drunk. they want to tell you things like that.

I heard an interesting catch phrase the other day from a friend:

"A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts."

I think to an extent that's true- a person is already making a fool of themselves under the blanket of protection, "Well I was drunk", so why not get out what's been eating at you?

I've been guilty of it myself once or twice in my younger years.

It always gives that person a way out -- to deny what he/she said and laugh off the significance of what they said.

Very true....

There maybe the feeling there that is magnified by alcohol but once sober it may only be a fleeting feeling.

I really like this idea that the booze magnified the feelings...that makes a lotta sense

Oh, actually my response was right on target. If that happened to me, I would consider whether they were telling "the truth" from the perspective of the person's choice and judgment in getting drunk and calling at that hour. So, even if it were technically "the truth" and the person truly had those feelings at that moment, I would be very suspicious over whether that was just a momentary/fleeting feeling since of course the person was comfortable making impulsive decisions without regard to the other person's situation.

That kind of person is highly likely to wake up the next day, think "wow, did I really call last night/say those thing?" and decide "well that was last night, today is today and now that I'm sober I feel differently." That's much less likely to happen with a person who thinks about the other person as well as himself and thinks about the seriousness of sharing feelings like that before sharing them.

Batya...I dunno...I think that you're just smarter than me...or that you care more...or that you look deeper into things than I can understand. Because I still don't have any idea what your talking about when you tie someones "impulsive decisions without regard to the other person's situation" to weather or not they are telling the truth...

I have no clue what "the perspective of the person's choice and judgement in getting drunk and calling at that hour" means. Does it mean that they think getting drunk and calling you is ok, and if they say they love you then they think that is ok too...but since its wrong in your mind to get drunk and call people late then they are also wrong about their feelings?

and your saying that if someone really does have strong feelings for someone then they wouldn't do this because they have thought about others and themselves thinking about themselves and others about the seriousness of feelings that shouldn't be shared while drunk and thus people that really do care and have those feelings would never express them while drunk?

I think you broke my brain....

I think to an extent that's true- a person is already making a fool of themselves under the blanket of protection, "Well I was drunk", so why not get out what's been eating at you?

I've been guilty of it myself once or twice in my younger years.

Scientific studies show that, in general, the opposite sex is about 30% more attractive when you're drunk. That's why, if i've been drinking, I'm sometimes prone to tell people that they are 30% less attractive then I am currently finding them.

really like this...

because I know that the few times I've gotten drunk and just spilled my whole guts out I basically let loose every feeling I had inside me that I had kept pent up...the big things and little things alike...just let it all out...

but thats just me...

If you can keep them drunk 24/7 you have it made.

Unfortunately, unless they love you while sober it has little meaning.

I love everyone when I'm faced.

I ended up starting my 11 year relationship by getting shlockered and then giving the old "I love you man" speech. Hahahaha. My future GF was so tanked herself that she heard "I'm in love with you". Subtle difference, but it still lead us to the bedroom.

Booze = good.

Hah yeah...I think like most have said, your "quote" is somewhat true, but you've got to take it with a grain of salt, because even IF someone spills out a lot of stuff while drunk...they'll go and claim they don't remember it at all(and some of them do, they just don't want to admit it happened). I'm sure some stuff comes out, and it's true...but not everything. I really like another quote on here even more about people that are drunk and how it's not an excuse, because "when you're drunk, you're still responsible for your actions, you're just doing things that you don't have the balls to do when you're sober." : )

So basically, she ruined her cell phone over an ex? She must have really been hung up on this guy.

She didn't end up breaking her phone- we were just kicking it back and forth so it was sliding on a carpeted floor- lol

She was indeed pretty hung up on him though....

I drunk dialed my grandmother once.

LOL!!!!!

Archived