Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manuka Honey?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jellybean9
    Completely agree when it comes to vaccines.

Some awful stories of how parents have lost children for not vaccinating against measles, mumps and rubella.

In the 90's the MMR vaccine had a lot of negative press. A lot of parents opting against it and some still do to this say.

It's sad that literally lives have been lost for opting against vaccination.
    I was talkinng specifically about the flu shot not the childhood vaccines because each year there are deaths from the flu and the conspiracy theories and lack of trust in one's own physician is a real shame.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    I was talkinng specifically about the flu shot not the childhood vaccines because each year there are deaths from the flu and the conspiracy theories and lack of trust in one's own physician is a real shame.
    It's not actually readily available over here unfortunately the general flu vaccine.

It's something only suggested for those with other health issues or the elderly.

Didn't realize parents refuse it on those grounds too. It is a shame.

Platinum Member
    It's not actually readily available over here unfortunately the general flu vaccine.

It's something only suggested for those with other health issues or the elderly.

Didn't realize parents refuse it on those grounds too. It is a shame.
    Just meant as an example as I wrote.

Don't know about this honey but agree with j.man on may counts from trashing doctors, the fda and veterinarians as scammers who are out to get you and your money. Also that they are all in bed with 'Big Pharma'. Or that people devote decades of their of their lives studying and running around all night in scrubs, just for fun. But, hey, I'm a scientist, not a TV quack..

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Don't know about this honey but agree with j.man on may counts from trashing doctors, the fda and veterinarians as scammers who are out to get you and your money. Also that they are all in bed with 'Big Pharma'. Or that people devote decades of their of their lives studying and running around all night in scrubs, just for fun. But, hey, I'm a scientist, not a TV quack..
    I have not trashed doctors or veterinarians what so ever.

I mentioned some amazing veterinarians that I have met in my life.

Like all professions there are more sincere people than others! Same goes for veterinary.

They are not all pushing "drugs" for no reason. Just was saying some do.

Like the whole "perscription diets". Some have no benefit to your pet and actually some "over the counter feeds" actually can have the same effect. This in it's self has been advised by veterinarians I've come across! Yes those people who have dedicated 12 years of their life suggesting better alternatives.

I've been in a practice with a veterinarian who suggested an official website to buy the medication cheaper for the owner. Like I said there are decent vets. Who do it for the animal and aren't all about the money.

Platinum Member
    Seems to me you are trashing quite a number of vets and seem to have a more than typical amount of distrust for the profession.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    Seems to me you are trashing quite a number of vets and seem to have a more than typical amount of distrust for the profession.
    I was not trashing vets what so ever.

I have worked very closely with them in the past. What they do is remarkable.

I was starting some genuine stories I have observed of some not so professional vets. Doesn't mean I am painting them all with the same brush!

I was merely stating to j.man how it is run as a business. As it essentially is a business. There is a whole module in veterinary medicine which is "phamacetical business" then one towards the end of the pre-clincal years relating to the "business and management of vetrinary practices".

It's honestly no different if you look at any other business behind the scenes you will see them cutting corners all the time.

I was merely talking about something that is offered in veterinary practices for use on animals. Ranging from cats and dogs to horses!

Search for veterinary based Manuka honey you will find topical oinments to shampoo for animals with dermititis.

With scientific literature to support it.

So to be told to "stay in my lane" was valid as I've never gone against professional medical advice. But to be accused of trashing vets is not true. As I was stating stories of some vets that have been awful in the past.

I also shared stories of some amazing vets. Who also don't agree with over marked prices because it's a "veterinary" product. When there are genuine alternatives that have been proven to work.

If my vet, that I have known for years, that has taken care of my last 4 cats, were to suggest that I use honey on their wound I would trust his advice. So far he never has and indeed advises against such things as a general rule. With regards to the scientific literature... I am very cautious and skeptical of the sources of these things. So many articles and documentaries are simply conspiracy theories and are filled with biased and downright false information. People are self-diagnosing and self-medicating themselves, their families and their animals with disastrous results.

Unfortunately, that's nonsense. It's malpractice to "cut corners". However any quack or supplement sales are not subject to the same scrutiny or oversight and therefore they are all about profits and snake oil rather than the real practice of ethically taking care of human and animal health. Agree with maew that these types of unfounded conspiracy theories prey on people looking for magic bullets and often with disastrous results.
    It's honestly no different if you look at any other business behind the scenes you will see them cutting corners all the time.

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Unfortunately, that's nonsense. It's malpractice to "cut corners". However any quack or supplement sales are not subject to the same scrutiny or oversight and therefore they are all about profits and snake oil rather than the real practice of ethically taking care of human and animal health. Agree with maew that these types of unfounded conspiracy theories prey on people looking for magic bullets and often with disastrous results.
    It is a business at the end of the day.

We have a veterinarian board in this country and not all practices are required to be approved by this board. So it is perfectly legal for practices to run and not have that board seal of approval.

So unlike GPs that are strictly regulated there are practices that are no subject to the same scrutiny. So they are being run like a business.

There are times you will get a decent vet who will put the animal first. Which is brilliant band the way it should be.

I think to avoid sub-standard care all practices should be under the same regulations. But unfortunately they are not. As a pet owner it is out responsibility to look for the "approved" practices. Which I do! As my pets health is incredibly important to me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice