Manuka Honey?

Jellybean9

You were not just referring to a few individuals. Much broader and implying that because it's profit-centered it generally encourages unethical practices. That is the impression all of your posts have given me. Please do not put words in what I wrote -obviously there are always a few bad apples and not just in the healthcare field. No one said it was bad because not widely known. No one said that unconventional is bad. Those kind of broad statements are similar to the broad ones you made about medical professionals.

I agree with those who described the specific issues with using honey on pets. Makes sense to me.

Yes. I am sharing the impression your posts gave me. And at least one other person. Up to you if you want to choose a different way of expressing your opinion since you now say you did not mean it that way.

Here are some examples where you were not just calling out a few bad apples:

Unfortunately a lot of veterinary practices do cut corners when it comes to holding back on finances or making money.

Sadly it is a business and like most businesses they will do the best to increase their profits.

I've been in a practice with a veterinarian who suggested an official website to buy the medication cheaper for the owner. Like I said there are decent vets. Who do it for the animal and aren't all about the money.

I was merely stating to j.man how it is run as a business. As it essentially is a business. There is a whole module in veterinary medicine which is "phamacetical business" then one towards the end of the pre-clincal years relating to the "business and management of vetrinary practices".

It is a business at the end of the day.

We have a veterinarian board in this country and not all practices are required to be approved by this board. So it is perfectly legal for practices to run and not have that board seal of approval.

So unlike GPs that are strictly regulated there are practices that are no subject to the same scrutiny. So they are being run like a business.

There are times you will get a decent vet who will put the animal first. Which is brilliant band the way it should be.

Okay maybe take away the term "a lot" as maybe I did not mean a lot as I can't generalise for the whole of my country out of the practices I've seen in the capital.

It was "a lot" to me as out of the practices I have seen there have been at least 1/3 that were questionable out of the practices that were not accredited.

I also can't make generalisations for other countries as they are run differently.

What ever way you want to look at it. It is a business. I'm not going to back track on that as we know it is.

Also take away "a few" as there are more great vets in the profession than "questionable" vets.

The vet who suggested buying the medication without hyped up prices. How is that even a bad thing? Thought that was incredibly nice of him.

It is my bad on using terms like a lot and a few. As I was basing it on what I've seen and not generalising to the whole of th country.

That said I will stand by the whole business aspect as it is a business.

Yes and that it where we part company. I don't make assumptions about potentially unethical practices just because something is a "business." I'm a savvy consumer of all sorts of services and when I find a medical or other professional I trust as a person, in whose wisdom/intelligence/insight I trust I never take into account as any sort of default that "it is a business." If I ever thought a medical professional was prescribing something - or not - or suggesting a course of treatment because of a profit motivation that would be the last time I would see that person. That is why I ask people I trust and look at reviews etc and do my due diligence before frequenting a business or a health care professional for personal services. But not because I make assumptions about "well it is a business so the top priority is to make money" - that would be really silly as a priority as you state it because if the medical professional cut corners as far as ethics and integrity in order to "profit" that would hit her bottom line fast.

Thanks for clarifying your use of broad terms and how that gave the impression it did. I understand.

It is a business at the end of the day.

We have a veterinarian board in this country and not all practices are required to be approved by this board. So it is perfectly legal for practices to run and not have that board seal of approval.

So unlike GPs that are strictly regulated there are practices that are no subject to the same scrutiny. So they are being run like a business.

There are times you will get a decent vet who will put the animal first. Which is brilliant band the way it should be.

I think to avoid sub-standard care all practices should be under the same regulations. But unfortunately they are not. As a pet owner it is out responsibility to look for the "approved" practices. Which I do! As my pets health is incredibly important to me.

This is so scary! I’m glad you at least have a way to know whether they are regulated!

Vets are like doctors here... same amount of schooling, and they are as strictly regulated as physicians... like anything else there will be shady characters doing shady things however it’s pretty easy to tell who those people are.

I'm guessing it is America you guys are talking about. Sorry if I'm off the mark as I'm just assuming.

Funny enough only two universities. I think three have now been approved for our veterinary medicine degree to hold it's own in America after sitting an additional exam.

So essentially they do disregard the other veterinary medicine degrees. As they are not seen to be in the same league as veterinary medicine schools.

Just goes to show how stringent the US is! The way in should be in my book.

Unfortunately it is not the same here. Which is worrying.

I would never preach or push advise on anyone and how they look after their pets. The one thing I insist to friends and family is they go to an acredited practice. As that is really important after seeing non-acredited practices.

I honestly was not trashing the profession, I can't stress enough how much I respect it. I have friends who are becoming vets and worked closly with them. They have been amazing and some have restored faith after what I have seen.

Maybe it is run differently in this country. As I've seen things that have made me question what is really going on. Has made my friends in training question what's is going on.

No one should be questioning things behind the scenes of a veterinary practice.

To be fair it is unfortunate that I did see those things and hear other stories. I was disheartened by a profession I have always respected.

Which is why I'm glad I've met some decent vets in my life.

I'm not the best with expressing myself with written words. I believe I have mentioned this in another thread before.

So yes I was a bit excessive with the words I used. But I didn't mean to generalise to all vets.

I'm guessing it is America you guys are talking about. Sorry if I'm off the mark as I'm just assuming.

You are right... I am in Canada, it's a similar thing here. It's hard to even imagine that they don't take vet medicine as seriously in other countries... talk about us being privileged!

Archived