Feeling humiliated

I had gotten a job a year ago to escape a crappy situation at home. Low paying, grunt work.

When I started, I witnessed our general manager cut down at least 3 to 4 other employees. I disagreed with the way he treated others, but since he is the GM and the owner of the company is MIA most of the time, I didn't feel I could say anything or want to get involved.

Lately, he has turned on me and I feel at a loss of what to do. 4 weeks ago, my children fell very sick. I managed to work around it as a single parent and arrange care. At the end of the sick stint, I of course caught it and called in for one of my shifts.

When I returned to work, I was asked what I was doing at work.. and I had been taken off the schedule that week without notice.

When we discussed the matter, he caused a huge uproar about it, accused me of telling tales on my supervisors, pulled everybody in to the office when we were discussing it etc..

I'm pretty shy by nature so I felt very uncomfortable and never mentioned it again.

Last week I began to feel pain in my wrist in the evenings after work. I saw my doctor and he diagnosed it as a repetitive motion injury. He told me to report it at work and said he had to report it by law. I reported it to my supervisor who had me fill out some papers but never gave me any other directions.

Today our GM was in, I went to him to ask if he received the report and he exploded on me. Accused me and my doctor of lying and having no idea what we were doing. He then called my supervisors in and swore and yelled at them too. All in front of 4 other co workers. I was in tears, I don't handle that kind of confrontation well and he told me to get the out, that I couldn't be there injured.

Where do I go from here?? I would report to HR but I honestly feel that it would cause more issues... I have a few numbers to call in the morning about modified duties at work and such.. but I feel SO uncomfortable I can't even think about returning to work under him after how he spoke to me today.

I'm a single mother of 3, I work my butt off and have had no other issues at work. I get on well with my supervisors and co workers.. I don't feel it's right to feel bullied out of work. But is there much I can do about it?

Wwyd?

Thanks in advance.

I'd have looked for a new job long before now. Why haven't you done that?
Along with taking care of my children's health, therapy for all 4 of us after separating from my abusive ex, dealing with our financial issues, my son being diagnosed with developmental issues and organizing special needs help for him while I am at work... looking for a new job on top of already working 9 hours a day, 5-6 days a week whilst taking care of a 1, 3 and 9 year old alone... all felt very overwhelming.

It was just the last thing on my mind.

You need to go to HR. You should file for your injury and you should file for work harassment. There is no excuse for what your supervisor and GM did to you. And if HR won't help, you should get a jobs lawyer and have him on your side for a potential law suit. The lawyer will get paid from whatever you get paid, so you don't need money to proceed. I have a friend who got $60,000 for work harassment. It sounds like an awful company and they need to be taught a lesson. These things usually result in a pay off rather than go to court. It's pretty sure they've been sued before for doing things like this. See if they will fire you because you will get unemployment pay that way.

You need to go and talk to HR. If you aren't willing to do that, then nobody can help you. In fact, when you don't take action and refuse to speak to HR, you are literally condoning bad behavior by management. Stop condoning it and speak up. Meanwhile, start looking for a new job as much as you can as quickly as you can.

Thank you for the replies and advice.

After a good night sleep, I'm feeling a little less vulnerable and definitely more confident in my next actions.

I'm definitely willing to contact HR, I have decided to speak to my doctor and explain that his aggressive behaviour against me and others is causing massive anxiety. I am already being treated for anxiety, so hoping he will be on board with writing me off for a week or 2 to get my ducks in order.

I have a phone meeting with the human rights commission officer this evening, a meeting with the unemployment office tomorrow to discuss if the bullying is enough to warrant just cause for voluntarily leaving and waiting to see if HR does anything about the situation.

Lots of phone calls and emails to be made up but I definitely think he needs to be stopped so no more people will be the brunt of his bullying behaviour.

My resume is polished up and I will be on the job hunt once again.

Thanks again :)

Thank you for the replies and advice.

After a good night sleep, I'm feeling a little less vulnerable and definitely more confident in my next actions.

I'm definitely willing to contact HR, I have decided to speak to my doctor and explain that his aggressive behaviour against me and others is causing massive anxiety. I am already being treated for anxiety, so hoping he will be on board with writing me off for a week or 2 to get my ducks in order.

I have a phone meeting with the human rights commission officer this evening, a meeting with the unemployment office tomorrow to discuss if the bullying is enough to warrant just cause for voluntarily leaving and waiting to see if HR does anything about the situation.

Lots of phone calls and emails to be made up but I definitely think he needs to be stopped so no more people will be the brunt of his bullying behaviour.

My resume is polished up and I will be on the job hunt once again.

Thanks again :)

Sounds like a great plan. Good luck for a successful outcome!

Archived