Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

jennylove

I'm on a work assignment 800 miles away from home, I've been here 6 months. I took my company stipend to pay for my housing while here. I found a guy who was renting out a furnished studio (no kitchen) in his mansion with a private bathroom and private entrance into my unit. He was on Craigslist. He wanted a deposit in case I ruined any of the furniture, etc, but according to our "rental agreement" I would get it back if there is no damage, which there is not. I gave him a 8 weeks notice of my last day. Ever since then, he's been very obnoxious. He sends at least 2 texts per week asking when I'll be leaving because he needs to enter my unit for a showing, or to make a repair, or he reminds me to take out my trash on Mondays, etc. I told him he is harassing me, but he said he can kick me out at anytime since I don't have a lease agreement with him and that I need to be more respectful or else he will do just that.

I've been putting up with this for several weeks. I have 1 week left. I asked him if Next Tuesday at 8 am will be a good time for his final walk through and my deposit return. He said his wife will walk thru since he'll be out of town. I then asked if she'll be giving g me cash or a check for my deposit return. He replied with an angel emoji. I asked again, and he replied with a smiley emoji.

He's clearly playing games. I can't take him to small claims court b/c I live so far away and it won't be worth the air travel and headache. But because he's been so obnoxious and quite frankly making my life hell, I may threaten to report him to the BBB and IRS after I depart. He has other ppl living here, 1 guy is also long- term and the others are a few days here and there every week for 100/night. I really don't think he's reporting any of this to the IRS, it's not thru AirBnb. Should I call them or just threaten it on my last day?

BBB is nothing honestly. It's antiquated and they have no jurisdiction to do anything anyway. They just publish information.

But most people don't think to look there anymore.

When I was married we had a business and apartments. If someone threatened me with that, I'd laugh. Sorry but true.

The only way I learned this is because I reported someone to the BBB once. . .Pointless

We learned quickly that spending money to recoup losses was a waste too.

The situation could be awarded in our favor but the `rent police' (who ever they are) never show up reinforce payment.

So when a renter walked. . we just wrote it off. lose/lose

Do you know anyone that works at company with an impressive title or company name?

The company I work for has a legal dept. When my HOA (Home Owners Association) wasn't taking care of my leaky roof, I faxed them a letter with the law firm letter head on it. They jumped to attention! It's worked rather well a couple times. It worked in my favor another time dealing with claims adjusters in an auto accident.

That and consider googling `renters advocate' in your area.

Good luck. He hasn't withheld the money yet but he sounds like a nightmare.

If he's that much of a jerk, he likely knows you'll have to put up some money in hopes to get back your deposit. Its a safe bet you'll

spend more than it's worth to begin with and he knows that. Sorry.

BBB is nothing honestly. It's antiquated and they have no jurisdiction to do anything anyway. They just publish information.

But most people don't think to look there anymore.

When I was married we had a business and apartments. If someone threatened me with that, I'd laugh. Sorry but true.

The only way I learned this is because I reported someone to the BBB once. . .Pointless

We learned quickly that spending money to recoup losses was a waste too.

The situation could be awarded in our favor but the `rent police' (who ever they are) never show up reinforce payment.

So when a renter walked. . we just wrote it off. lose/lose

Do you know anyone that works at company with an impressive title or company name?

The company I work for has a legal dept. When my HOA (Home Owners Association) wasn't taking care of my leaky roof, I faxed them a letter with the law firm letter head on it. They jumped to attention! It's worked rather well a couple times. It worked in my favor another time dealing with claims adjusters in an auto accident.

That and consider googling `renters advocate' in your area.

Good luck. He hasn't withheld the money yet but he sounds like a nightmare.

If he's that much of a jerk, he likely knows you'll have to put up some money in hopes to get back your deposit. Its a safe bet you'll

spend more than it's worth to begin with and he knows that. Sorry.

I may have scared him tonight. He entered with his wife to talk about what flooring they can put in the bathroom since the current floor has water damage. I'm not sure if he's going to say I did the water damage, but I'm ready. Anyway, I was on the phone with my mom and when they were quiet, I said to my mom: "well, my sister is an auditor for the IRS, I'll see her next week, do you want me to ask her this or would you like to text her?" I know they heard it 😹. My mom knew what I was doing so she went along with it.

Archived