I just can't believe that a company would offer someone over 30 a salary like

sd95

this? It was clear I was over 30 and this company offers me $27,500? I mean isn't that something you offer a kid fresh out of college? Not someone who was obviously in the workforce for over 10 years. Now I don't have a family to support but you have to assume I have a mortgage/rent and car along with Bills and to offer something like that made no sense to me. I had to accept the salary because I was fired from my previous job so I didn't have any other options and was still on a lease to pay rent. I just didn't think it was possible to look at someone's resume and see that they are over 30 and you offer them a salary under $30,000 a year. And this is not a walmart or Target type of position, it's a position that is dealing with daily processing on a computer and researching and interviewing the public applying for state services/

The only thing that has kept me year was the annual cost of living raise because if it wasn't for that no way would I be able to stay here.

Unfortunately because of this they were able to low-ball you. Always keep your resume up to date and scan ads.

I had to accept the salary because I was fired from my previous job so I didn't have any other options and was still on a lease to pay rent.
Unfortunately because of this they were able to low-ball you. Always keep your resume up to date and scan ads.

I don't think you find jobs in 2017 by scanning ads. You have to find a way to connect with someone who is linked to other places.

Salaries are based on position, experience, and location. Do your research on a site like Glassdoor to understand what to expect and where to negotiate from.

Do you know they have the nerve to want to offer 401K? So they want to make the already low check much lower so we can contribute to 401K. I said I need a bigger raise to balance everything out

As I'm not from the USA I'm not 100% sure about what the ins and outs with the 401K is, but from my little understanding if it's superannuation - it's for your benefit in the long run. Anything from 3-9% of income wont affect you too much and will be a nice little nest egg... Can you withdraw later if you have hardship?

Yes it's a low income, could you negotiate more after 3 months? is there an annual raise? IMHO, I'd prefer to be in a low paid job looking for other employment than having no job and looking... at least your basic living costs will be met until you find something more satisfactory.

Good luck SD,

As I'm not from the USA I'm not 100% sure about what the ins and outs with the 401K is, but from my little understanding if it's superannuation - it's for your benefit in the long run. Anything from 3-9% of income wont affect you too much and will be a nice little nest egg... Can you withdraw later if you have hardship?

Yes it's a low income, could you negotiate more after 3 months? is there an annual raise? IMHO, I'd prefer to be in a low paid job looking for other employment than having no job and looking... at least your basic living costs will be met until you find something more satisfactory.

Good luck SD,

Yes but the problem is that is so far off into the future, eating and living is right now so you want as much money left over as possible after taxes.

Have you proven that you're worth the money you want? I mean simply being 30 years old doesn't mean you automatically get money. Also I got my current job via an online ad. It's not all who you know. Actually being a good employee and having good references goes a long way.

You sound pretty entitled. You do realize you have to put in effort to make more money? Age has nothing to do with it.

The... nerve? To offer 401k?

It's free money. Free. Money.

But fine, continue to moan and gripe about your salary and scoff at free money.

But you can't even roll it over to another company until you give 5 years of service.

Your perspective on money is entirely flawed. The farther away retirement is, the more important your contribution is. Compounding interest is a beautiful thing. Figure out how to at least put something in.

I understand that but how many people are going to commit 5 years? I would agree if I was able to roll it over to another company

Get a part time job to supplement your income. You also need a good accountant to develop a reasonable tax strategy.

Yes but the problem is that is so far off into the future, eating and living is right now so you want as much money left over as possible after taxes.

From my experience, typically companies offer salaries based on the role requirement, and usually have a range that they are willing to pay, so they have some flexibility to accommodate for the applicants experience.

Typically they also discuss your salary expectations at the end of the first interview (some before that, during the application stage, especially if it's through an agency). This is so that they don't offer a salary way out of your expectations and risk embarrassing them and insulting you. However if your expectation is too far from the range they are willing to offer, most companies simply wouldn't offer the job at all. It seems unclear if you made your salary expectations clear to this company or whether you indicated, explicitly or implicitly, that you'll take anything?

Age has nothing to do with the salary a company is willing to offer. It's all about the role itself. They will offer what they're willing to pay for that particular role, and may be willing to go to the top end of the range if you are on the more experienced side and indicated that your expectation is at the higher end.

I get that it can feel insulting for someone to offer you a very low salary for what you think you're worth. But really, it's nothing personal. This is what they're willing to pay, FOR THIS ROLE. If you don't like it, you don't have to take it. Of course, I get that you feel you have to take it because you need to make a living. That's fine, but no point getting all up in arms about it. Just look for another job.

I also don't know how you get the idea that people don't apply through job ads anymore. All my jobs were found through job ads online. Where I am, there are one or two very popular job sites where all companies post their job ads, even if they do also take referrals and internal applications, almost all of them would post on these sites to ensure they get as many applications as possible. Besides, companies like to see what's out there in the market, rather than limiting themselves to the few options that are presented to them by someone who knows someone (less objective) or internal staff.

I suggest you actively look for jobs asap. And make your salary expectations very clear, when timing is appropriate, at the next job application.

From my experience, typically companies offer salaries based on the role requirement, and usually have a range that they are willing to pay, so they have some flexibility to accommodate for the applicants experience.

Typically they also discuss your salary expectations at the end of the first interview (some before that, during the application stage, especially if it's through an agency). This is so that they don't offer a salary way out of your expectations and risk embarrassing them and insulting you. However if your expectation is too far from the range they are willing to offer, most companies simply wouldn't offer the job at all. It seems unclear if you made your salary expectations clear to this company or whether you indicated, explicitly or implicitly, that you'll take anything?

Age has nothing to do with the salary a company is willing to offer. It's all about the role itself. They will offer what they're willing to pay for that particular role, and may be willing to go to the top end of the range if you are on the more experienced side and indicated that your expectation is at the higher end.

I get that it can feel insulting for someone to offer you a very low salary for what you think you're worth. But really, it's nothing personal. This is what they're willing to pay, FOR THIS ROLE. If you don't like it, you don't have to take it. Of course, I get that you feel you have to take it because you need to make a living. That's fine, but no point getting all up in arms about it. Just look for another job.

I also don't know how you get the idea that people don't apply through job ads anymore. All my jobs were found through job ads online. Where I am, there are one or two very popular job sites where all companies post their job ads, even if they do also take referrals and internal applications, almost all of them would post on these sites to ensure they get as many applications as possible. Besides, companies like to see what's out there in the market, rather than limiting themselves to the few options that are presented to them by someone who knows someone (less objective) or internal staff.

I suggest you actively look for jobs asap. And make your salary expectations very clear, when timing is appropriate, at the next job application.

Job ads are usually fake which is why I started depending on others to find jobs for me.

Do you not have reliable job seeking websites in the US?

Not really, it's to be craigslist back in 2011 but now it's not too good. Never been a fan of indeed and careerbuilder.

One good site is idealist.org but that's about it

did you negotiate at all?

a lot of companies will try to low ball and see if you will bite, if you know your worth, you will counter offer and

probably fall into the range that they knew they were going to have to pay you.

happened to me, i countered we worked something out and i ended up even getting a signing bonus.

I also make a little more money then a few people who have been working longer than me

so age itself doesnt really mean anything.

did you negotiate at all?

a lot of companies will try to low ball and see if you will bite, if you know your worth, you will counter offer and

probably fall into the range that they knew they were going to have to pay you.

happened to me, i countered we worked something out and i ended up even getting a signing bonus.

I also make a little more money then a few people who have been working longer than me

so age itself doesnt really mean anything.

Wasn't in position to since I was fired from last job and needed to get hired so I could continue to pay rent and bills. I;m just glad it was the type of job I prefer because you never know what job you have to take when you are fired from your last job

I understand the "insulting" feeling.

I was in my mid-40s and had 20+ years of experience in my field. I went on a job interview for a position that advertised they wanted at least 10 years experience and advanced knowledge of several computer software programs. Things were going great, it seemed like the owner liked me and was going to offer me the position. Then I asked about the salary. And the owner told me it paid...$10.00 per hour.

I stood up, shook his hand and thanked him for his time, but that with my experience and skills, $10.00 per hour just wasn't adequate. He asked me "Can't you make it work"? And I said "No, I can't". And then I left.

I noticed that they changed the ad to say "Entry Level Position". Hmmm, you bet it was!

In my case, however, I was in a better position because I already had a job and was looking to make a move (because my existing company planned to cut my hours).

I have been in the position where I just needed to find a job, any job. I took one with my current company that didn't pay that great, but had terrific benefits. I got promoted within 7 months and am now in a comfortable position financially.

Can you continue to look while you're at this job? My son took a job with a company that he didn't really want, but he placed himself with a "head hunter" who found him a much better job.

I understand the "insulting" feeling.

I was in my mid-40s and had 20+ years of experience in my field. I went on a job interview for a position that advertised they wanted at least 10 years experience and advanced knowledge of several computer software programs. Things were going great, it seemed like the owner liked me and was going to offer me the position. Then I asked about the salary. And the owner told me it paid...$10.00 per hour.

I stood up, shook his hand and thanked him for his time, but that with my experience and skills, $10.00 per hour just wasn't adequate. He asked me "Can't you make it work"? And I said "No, I can't". And then I left.

I noticed that they changed the ad to say "Entry Level Position". Hmmm, you bet it was!

In my case, however, I was in a better position because I already had a job and was looking to make a move (because my existing company planned to cut my hours).

I have been in the position where I just needed to find a job, any job. I took one with my current company that didn't pay that great, but had terrific benefits. I got promoted within 7 months and am now in a comfortable position financially.

Can you continue to look while you're at this job? My son took a job with a company that he didn't really want, but he placed himself with a "head hunter" who found him a much better job.

I don't plan to go anywhere until after 2018 because I was fired from my last job and I wanted to be here as long as possible so that job I was fired from would no longer matter. Plus they do give annual cola raises and it's stable so as long as the money is consistent I can take my time and look for something else stable which pays more money.

I mean this in the nicest way possible... but if your industry hires off of craigslist, I don't think you're in an industry that will pay much anyway.

I've never looked at any of those traditional job boards. I target companies I'm interested in and follow their boards and have job alerts on LinkedIn

I mean this in the nicest way possible... but if your industry hires off of craigslist, I don't think you're in an industry that will pay much anyway.

I've never looked at any of those traditional job boards. I target companies I'm interested in and follow their boards and have job alerts on LinkedIn

I agree, no one should be seriously looking for a full-time job on craigslist. lol

Archived