My friend's troubled marriage

Hello everyone,

I decided to post on this forum for my friend, who is having a bit of trouble in her marriage.

To give a bit of a background: My friend is 25 years old. Her husband is 27 years old and has been living illegally in the United States since he was a child. My friend has always been aware of this. They married after dating for a long time and she is helping him get his citizenship papers.

Now, their marriage so far has hit a few rough stops. When she has told me about their issues, I have been very shocked and based upon her past conflicts with her husband, I am very much surprised that they are still married.

Anywho, this is her conflict. Basically, the two of them are living with her husband's parents for a few months. They are getting their finances in order to purchase the house. They make enough money to live on their own, but agreed to this living arrangement to save some money for their house.

Last week, when the husband was off at work, my friend and her father in law were left alone in the house. He called her into the bedroom and told her he had to speak with her urgently about something. She came into the bedroom and he had her sit on his bed. They finished their conversation and she told me that he started leaning in to her. She assumed that he was trying to hug her, so she extended her arms and hugged him. When she started to pull away, he started nibbling on her ear and whispered how hot she is and how he wanted to sleep with her.

She freaked out and left the bedroom and called me. I told her to let her husband now once he was home and she did. Well, he didn't do anything. He didn't confront his father. He didn't speak to his mother about it. He just heard my friends story and switched the subject to what dinner they are having.

My friend is furious and she wants to tell her mother in law, but she sees no reason because the her husband has cheated on her multiple times in the past and she has taken him back each time.

Basically, what should my friend do?

He's not going to say anything to them because they live in THEIR house. They can be kicked off the property if she raises hell.

They need to move out now. And if he's not going to agree to it, she needs to leave him (and hope to God she doesn't end up pregnant with him). Rent or something. They're adults that make enough and can afford a place of their own.

Why did she marry an illegal?

Archived