Boss has a Drug Issue

ScubaDiva

I'm at the end of my tether and really need to vent - I know the answer to the problem but it's easier said than done.

I work in a regulated industry. My boss is quite young and seriously immature. He provides zero guidance even though I am fairly new to the job and only comes into the office maybe once or twice a week for a couple of hours at a time. He always has an excuse for everything - they are endless. For instance, yesterday he had food poisoning and allegedly ended up in hospital - AGAIN - not sure how many times he's used this excuse but it is wearing thin. He lies constantly to his staff, his clients, everyone. Treats everyone as if they are stupid and doesn't even remember which lies he's told who.

I'm constantly in cringe mode at the things he does (or doesn't do) and the way he treats clients. I cannot believe he has any left. He is unreliable and I am beginning to totally despise him. Today a client came in from far away for a meeting and he didn't bother to pitch up for work (food poisoning again).

We are a small office but have 2 offices in other parts of the country. It is a start up business. There are only 4 of us in the office and I have found myself being "manager" come owner and everything, for less than half the price. I am mentoring the other staff and delegating work to them. Half the time I don't have a clue what I am doing, but I am "in charge". I am out of my depth a lot of the time. I have approached him on several occasions about the total lack of guidance and his response is "you lack confidence - you can do this stuff - you're brilliant" blah blah blah.

He is a recreational drugs user and I think this is impacting on everything in life. Mainly cocaine. I have thought about making a complaint to one of the owners at the other branch but I think it will mean that all of us in this office will end up jobless as they'll probably close the office. Nobody is policing him or the way he does things i.e. gives me ALL the work to do, rarely turns up, doesn't supervise, never returns peoples calls or emails etc etc. I go on holiday and come back and NOTHING has been done.

I'm being exploited and I know it. I have registered with agencies and am looking for another suitable job but it's just not happening fast enough. Every day is an emotional challenge. My morals are tested continuously. Every day we are dealing with some very annoyed customers for something he hasn't done - his response to this is that "they need to chill".

I am one of those super organised, proactive types and this is really draining my resources. I don't know what to do. If I report him to the regulator, then all of us will not have jobs. I feel there is nobody to turn to and no way of resolving matters.

I have never worked in such a toxic environment where the boss simply doesn't care from one day to the next what is happening. I just can't take it anymore. I wish I could up and leave but I have to be patient for the right role.

Does anyone have any good advice on how I can get through this until I can find alternative employment.

Oh wow, what an incredibly difficult situation. I've had my fair share of bad bosses, but this takes it to a whole new level.

Given your very limited options, continuing to search for a new position should of course be your top priority. In the meantime, healthy outlets are probably the only way to stay sane. Time with friends, therapy, punching pillows, meditation, journaling, etc.

I'm so sorry you are in this situation and I hope you can get out of it very soon.

Stop covering for this guy. By doing so you've become an unwitting enabler even though I know that's not your intentions. As hard as it's going to be, stop running things, this business is dying where it stands. I'm sorry, but you are going to have to get more ruthless about protecting your own interests instead of his and simply collect your paycheck, do the work you're assigned to and paid to do while not doing a lick more of his, and keep looking for another job.

And as soon as you find one bail, no I'll work to replace myself with someone. The harsh fact is this business is dying and sooner or later this guy will likely not even pay any of you and will transfer his excuses for not showing up to why payroll is delayed.

Sorry, I'm not going to tell you to do anything, but get off of that trainwreck now before he takes you down with him. And in the meantime stop driving any train but your own. I know that's hard, because I used to be like you and try to cover and serve clients and keep things going for bad bosses. But after a few times of turning out to be the bad guy, because incompetent/criminal types hate it when someone else outshines them, I stopped doing that.

Let him fail. When he doesn't show up just shrug and say, "I don't know where he is, he said something about food poisoning." Don't bother asking him anything, figure out as best you can what to do and tell other staff to do the same, operate as if he weren't even there. When he is a yes, sir and then ignore him and do what you're going to do anyways is far better. If he asks you to do something that isn't your job, be extra slow, ask him a ton of questions about it, don't get it done.

And maybe it's a sign on high that you should have your own business instead. You're organized, you care about clients, you know what a good office is like to work for versus a bad one, so maybe it's time to explore that avenue.

The way you handle it is to stop caring so much that you try to cover for him. I've had jobs like this and it seems the moment I said, "You know what? This is not my issue and I'm going to stop stressing over it," was ironically when things got better. So go home on time, get to work on time, do the work you're paid to do, "I'll get to that," is a great phrase to tell people if you don't want to directly tell them no and then just somehow you never "get to that." Make sure your own work record, for the job you hold, is impeccable and you can prove that and let everything else slide downhill.

Who is your true superior? Did he found the company or is he merely the manager of that office? Sometimes small startups don't have the structure big companies do as far as HR departments so you can't merely just report him to HR more than likely. Who is his superior? Is there a way you can address it with him - if other coworkers notice this call a meeting and express your concerns and type of meeting minutes or is it best to talk to someone above him?

The more responsibility you take, the less he needs to take and the longer you enable this to go on. Are you too new on the job to be covered by any kind of unemployment insurance in your location? If so, I'd hold my own until you're eligible for such coverage, then I'd report him to the owners and allow the chips to fall where they will.

Meanwhile, continue seeking other jobs and cover only yourself to the degree that blame for his screw ups can't land in your lap. For instance, notify him via email whenever someone is trying to reach him. If a second notice is necessary, use the words 'Follow Up to the message below' and cc his bosses.

As long as you're doing everything you can to operate professionally, show that by bringing others into your messages, and let the guy hang himself. They'll either replace him or shut down your office, in which case, you'll either have someone better to work for, or, you can stop the tapdance and devote yourself to a full time work search.

• 4 months later...

Update. So things got really out of hand. A professional negligence claim was put against the firm. A major client was refusing to pay and went to another firm. He employed a complete nutjob who was sending suggestive emails to all the men in the firm asking if they wanted to meet her "discreetly" - you can't make this stuff up! Anyway, it all got too chaotic. I had been looking for another role but the market is quiet. I decided to whistleblow to the big bosses. I hoped that they would do the right thing.

They have now decided to close our office leaving us all without jobs. The perpetrator gets to become a Consultant for their new business venture. We get a bare minimum notice period as per contract and no payout. It's incredible how corrupt the world is.

I'm reeling from the shock at the moment. In my heart, i know that the risk of carrying on that way was too high for my professional career. This complete and utter idiot has been acting as if he doesn't have a care in the world. He does not think he has done anything wrong. It's incredible. Narcissism doesn't begin to describe him.

I am very disappointed in the big bosses. There is nothing i can do. i have no employment rights as I have only been with the company for a year and a half. I just wanted to let you all know the situation. Thanks.

Uggg I am so sorry to hear this update. I read the blog Askamamager and there was a similar case as yours with unfortunately, a similar outcome. Big bosses took the side of the high performing, but alcoholic manager, and the employee got screwed. I'm sorry. I hope you find a new job soon with stable management!

Archived