asking about past relationships

ocman

Ok, so I just got back with my ex and everything was going good for 2 months, then she lied about having to work on the weekend, then I confronted her and she said she just wanted to be alone that weekend and she didn't want to hurt my feelings, that's why she lied.

Am I allowed to ask the last name of one of her ex's or is that crossing the line? For the record, if I'm in a relationship with someone they could ask me anything about anyone and I would tell them without hesitation.

thanks!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe I'm wrong but why is his last name such a big deal. It's not like I'm going to contact this person in anyway, shape, or form?

How does she know that you won't? I would be extremely suspicious if my current boyfriend ask me what's my ex's surname, like what does he want to do with this information? Frankly I would reconsider dating someone who is either a) so suspicious that he wants details of my past to check on me, or b) doesn't trust and wants to test me, and ultimately c) does not understand or respect privacy.

Why would you be in a relationship if you had *any* doubt that person may go off?

and why would you date someone you don't trust? What does getting her ex's name achieve? If she tells you, it means she's trustworthy and not telling means she's not? If she doesn't tell, it might very simply mean she cares about privacy, it's a boundary she's well within her right to uphold. Conversely, if you have a problem with her lying, then talk to her about this particular issue and nothing else, tell her that you don't accept lying, and if she was to lie to you again it's over (or alternatively you can decide it's over now, because she lied). I don't see what asking for her ex's name has to do with the issue at hand.

and why would you date someone you don't trust?

We were trying to work through this issue.

I don't see what asking for her ex's name has to do with the issue at hand.

Well, the ex's name came up at a different time, we were dealing with the lying thing separately...

If you read the thread you would see, that she lied about having to work on the weekend when she didn't and we were supposed to hang out...

I asked why you don't trust her. I meant before she lied about working the weekend. Why did you go to her house? The mistrust is not because she lied about working, it was clearly before that.

So, again why did you not trust her before that?

I had a weird feeling and I went by her place and when she opened the door she said, "uh oh busted"...
Dude your girlfriend is scared of you and rightfully ****ing so. Driving to her house to make sure she's actually working because his majesty requires a written and signed excuse not to spend time with him is borderline insane. Of course she's afraid to tell you upfront she wants a night to herself.

Leave the poor woman alone. Whether or not she's given you a reason to distrust her, you are out line.

Driving to her house to make sure she's actually working because his majesty requires a written and signed excuse not to spend time with him is borderline insane.

Well, she usually texts me from work and she did in this case, but her texts were totally different, so I got suspicious and went by her place. Whatever happened to being honest and just telling the truth. She totally regrets not telling the truth...

Archived