Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Worried because I didn't file my taxes from last year

anon78

Last year I worked at a flower shop from March to July 2013. So it was only a few months. I made minimum wage (I believe it was 8.00 or 8.50 in California) and I'm not sure how many hours I worked but my check every 2 weeks ranged from 200-300 if I remember correctly. If I am correct then this last April 2014 I should have filed taxes from that work period. I asked someone that I know who used to work with taxes and they said I didn't have to worry about filing it or not. Later I heard from someone else that I should have.. Now I'm just straight up confused. I always filed them just to be safe and this one time I didn't, Idk what to think. Is this going to cause me problems with the IRS? What can I do about it to prevent any issues?

You only HAVE to file taxes if you owe the IRS money. I've filed past the April 15 deadline when I'm due a refund and there is no penalty. Also, the IRS has income guidelines. People that earn under a particular threshold do not have to file. Look into it if you are worried.

You definitely DO have to file -- whether you owe the IRS money or not. Edited to add: I just looked online, and my understanding from what I read on the Turbo Tax website is that MOST people need to file a return, whether or not they owe money. There are some exceptions, having to do with the difference between your income and the standard deduction or something like that. Something you need to check out.

Chances are, you don't owe anything, and they may even owe YOU, but...you should file just to be certain. You can choose not to, but...honestly, the IRS is ruthless. It may take them awhile to find you if you didn't file and owe them money, but, they will find you. I had a friend who failed to file one year, and SEVEN years later, they came after her.

You can still do it, I believe. The site I read says that, if you are due a refund, you CAN file after April 15; it's the people who owe money who have to file by April 15.

Definitely worth checking out, just to be on the safe side. I'm not kidding when I say you don't want to be on the bad side of the IRS. I have several friends who have been audited, have had the IRS come after them for money they didn't know they owed, etc., it it was not fun for them at all.

Archived