Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Your unexplainable / scary true stories!

oitnb

Pure boredom over here! Share your true scary / creepy / unexplainable tales.

I have a few. Believe me, don't believe me, but there all very strange!

1. I was riding in the car, just riding around aimlessly with a few friends. We get on the subject of demons, satan, religion, conspiracies ect. And suddenly, as if on que, a very old-timey looking red car pulls up to us at a red light. An old man is driving and smoking a really strange long tobacco pipe. He keeps looking over making weird "come here" gestures with his fingers, smiling a very big creepy smile! Like unhumanely big, I swear.

The light turns green and he gets behind us and FOLLOWS US for a while. We eventually get freaked and call the cops as he's following us. Give them his license plate number. (He had a front license plate) he stops following us but my friend stays on the phone with the cops anyways. The weirdest part is they said the # was unregistered! Like aka - didn't exist.

My friend to this day thinks it was an encounter with "the devil" "evil" whatever. I don't know what it was, even though my gut tells me it was probably just a pervy old man lol.

2. I was at a park at night with a group of friends. We were all just sitting around loitering, being typical bored high schoolers. Me and two of my friends kind of drift off and get into our own conversations. Suddenly I see a weird light formation in the sky, it's like red green and blue lights circling as if they were on the rim of a plate shaped object, if that makes sense? I'm just in shock looking at this object, wondering if I'm seeing things!

My friend A looks over and, thank god, says "bah do you see that?! B (other friend), look!" B sees it too. We all just stare at it for awhile until it basically disappears into thin air. We try to tell the rest of our friends about it and they don't believe us, of course.

I have a few more but I'll wait to share them until some of you guys post!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a few, not something I always talk about comfortably; but it the simple ones I can.

In 2009 a few friends and I went to do a little ghost hunting (I was the youngest at 26 of the five of us), we were on an out door trip and knew of a local cemetery about a mile hike and pretty isolated no homes near by; so we get there it's dark and we just are looking around and being respectful of the area. After about 25 minutes we start to head back, we get to the main path and I start hearing little children laughing and playing behind us for a good 30 yards. Once we get clear I asked if anyone else heard that, we all did but didn't want to spook the others.

I have a few, not something I always talk about comfortably; but it the simple ones I can.

In 2009 a few friends and I went to do a little ghost hunting (I was the youngest at 26 of the five of us), we were on an out door trip and knew of a local cemetery about a mile hike and pretty isolated no homes near by; so we get there it's dark and we just are looking around and being respectful of the area. After about 25 minutes we start to head back, we get to the main path and I start hearing little children laughing and playing behind us for a good 30 yards. Once we get clear I asked if anyone else heard that, we all did but didn't want to spook the others.

Oh that's creepy!

My old apartment with my ex was most certainly haunted.

We lived in a townhouse.

We'd hear loud steps coming from our bedroom above us, they sounded like a large man stomping around in work boots.

Cabinets would be open after we knew we closed them, things would fly off of shelves.

Our cat would chase and play with things that simply weren't there!

It was strange.

I have a couple of stories from when I was in a paranormal group.

One time we were investigating a hotel. It was closed for refurbishment so there were no guests staying and we had the place to ourselves. One room had a big four poster bed and the caretaker claimed that he had seen the bedsheets thrown up into the air by an invisible entity only a few days before. We split into teams and I stayed with one team in the four poster room. After about five minutes we heard footsteps coming down the corridor towards us. I should say that this corridor was about 25-30 feet long and led directly to this room. No other doorways or furniture. We thought it was someone from the other team coming to check up on us so we called out. No reply. Just the footsteps getting closer until they were right outside the door. We looked at each other then burst out into the corridor only to find it deserted. We went back down the corridor into the hallway. There was a room to our right with someone knocking on it. Usually people knock to get into a room but this was someone inside knocking to get out. Again we looked at each other and burst in. Again, completely empty. We searched thoroughly but there was no-one there. We all heard the same thing and we got everything on video. To this day we have never been able to find a logical explanation.

I know I saw a legit ghost because I knew who exactly that ghost was.

I had to be like, twelve or something. It was summer, I remember, because I was staying up late to watch I Love Lucy and Three's Company. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a small boy figure with familiar fabrics I've only seen in pictures moving quickly around the corner (from where I'm at -- living room -- to the hall). I followed him. I went to the hall and saw the figure again, running around another corner into my bedroom so I went to my bedroom. When I was there, he wasn't there anymore.

It stuck to me since simply because that was the first time I saw my brother.

I had to be like, twelve or something. It was summer, I remember, because I was staying up late to watch I Love Lucy and Three's Company. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a small boy figure with familiar fabrics I've only seen in pictures moving quickly around the corner (from where I'm at -- living room -- to the hall). I followed him. I went to the hall and saw the figure again, running around another corner into my bedroom so I went to my bedroom. When I was there, he wasn't there anymore.

This seriously gave me full body chills.

My family is chock full 'o ghostly, creepy happenings. We're of Irish descent on my mother's side and have a "touch of the fey" as the saying goes--i.e. we seem able to see and hear things most people can't.

One of the wildest happened when I purchased the ranch I now live in. I was told the original owner had died there, but didn't think much of it. So in the first week that I'm there I'd unpack things then sit them down wherever. I'd come back and find things back in the box. At first I put it down to fatigue and forgetfulness, but since it kept happening I started to keep a little journal and I'd write down, "Just unpacked dishes, and placed on table." Then I'd come back later and see the box packed up and sitting on the floor. And my kids weren't with me, so nope not them. The tipping point for me was the night I was getting ready for bed and had my husky in the room with me. He suddenly leaps up off my bed, flies to the door of the room and starts barking and snarling, hackles raised. I step over to the door and hush him and put my ear to the door to see if someone is out there. No noise, nothing. But I feel like someone is on the other side of the door I'm getting serious cold chills. Finally I say out loud, "Look, I love your place and want to make it my home. I'm sorry if you don't want me here, but I promise to take good care of the place." And just like that it feels like whatever is on the other side of the door is gone. I look down at my dog and he's no longer in attack mode, so I open the door and we wander through the whole house looking at everything to make sure no one was there. Nothing, it's all locked up tight.

The next day I mentioned it to my neighbor who came over with white sage and told me to burn it and talk to the spirit of the former owner. Apparently white sage helps to purify a space and help spirits move on, at least according to my friend. I was starting to get kind of freaked, so although I felt really silly running from room to room with bundles of white sage burning while explaining what I wanted to do with the place and how grateful I was to be making it my home I did it anyways. It must have worked, because I didn't find any more boxes being "packed back up" after I'd unpacked them and my dog never freaked out again like that.

And Bah, that thing with the freaky old guy in the car would've had me peeing my pants. Soooo creepy!

Wow! That's so cool.

After about 25 minutes we start to head back, we get to the main path and I start hearing little children laughing and playing behind us for a good 30 yards. Once we get clear I asked if anyone else heard that, we all did but didn't want to spook the others.

Hahaha, you know they were having a great time scaring the crap out of you and your friends. Sometimes I think that's more the case, I mean it's got to get boring just hanging around a place dead with nothing to do. So someone comes along that can see or hear the ghost and he/she thinks, "It is on. I have something to do!" It's still not comforting though when you realize you're getting ghost-pranked so to speak.

And yes, burning white sage does appear to work. I have a ton more of stories, but some of them are really scary as crap and I"m not here to traumatize anyone. But I realized a long time ago that if someone was an a*hole in life then they aren't always really great people after they die either. Of course, living in the Southwest one encounters all kinds of things given the number of ghost towns and remote abandoned places that abound out here. Not to mention Roswell, although there are plenty of other UFO sightings and weird things around the state that most never hear about if you aren't a local. Good times, good times.

Wow! That's so cool.

Thank you, and to Bah, too. I like to think my older brother is watching out for me and being the older brother as much as he can. That's the only interpretation I can get from seeing him that night.

Ah, is it an Irish thing to see things? Well, I'm sure there would be other ethnicity groups, too, but... Just asking because I'm part Irish, too, lol.

As for the sage, yeah. My friend had to do a sage thing for my last apartment, saying they felt something was there and opening cabinets and stuff. I didn't notice, I think? The apartment, in the past, in the location, people died due to a massive earthquake so maybe. Did sage thing anyhow. But yeah, hm... Maybe I should do a sage thing again for just myself. Where do one get sage anyhow?

Thank you, and to Bah, too. I like to think my older brother is watching out for me and being the older brother as much as he can. That's the only interpretation I can get from seeing him that night.

Ah, is it an Irish thing to see things? Well, I'm sure there would be other ethnicity groups, too, but... Just asking because I'm part Irish, too, lol.

As for the sage, yeah. My friend had to do a sage thing for my last apartment, saying they felt something was there and opening cabinets and stuff. I didn't notice, I think? The apartment, in the past, in the location, people died due to a massive earthquake so maybe. Did sage thing anyhow. But yeah, hm... Maybe I should do a sage thing again for just myself. Where do one get sage anyhow?

I got mine at a smoke shop.

I struggle with ideas of the paranormal...because I believe in science. I don't believe in God or heaven or hell....or any kind of after life...but I've experienced things that I can't explain.

When we were younger, we held seances at slumber parties. Most of the time, nothing would happen...but one time...one of the girls lifted about a foot into the air and held there for about 15 seconds. We never held a seance after that.

Another time one of my friends and I were playing tag around a ledge (of the kiln smoke stack outside the school) that was about a foot wide and a 15 foot drop (we were dumb). I had stopped on one side and was listening for her footsteps so I knew which way to run...when I saw this beautiful woman back-lit by the sun...She "shh'ed" me...and suddenly I felt a violent shove from behind me (which was impossible because I was against a huge wall) and I fell...onto electrical breaker. The dr said that if the cut in my arm had been a mm deeper, I would have nicked an artery and died.

I was at a sleepover at one of my friends houses...and the kitchen light was on behind me, and I was looking down into her dark basement (about to go down). My shadow suddenly veered off to the side, "shh'ed" me and went back into myself.

A few years later, I was crossing a very busy road at sunrise (winter here- it's almost always dark)...I stopped to make sure every car had stopped...and I was crossing the 6 lanes...I was 4 lanes in (so 2 from the side I was crossing to) when I looked over to see a car barreling towards me. I closed my eyes....and I felt the car lightly knock my heel and a gush of wind on my legs...and when I opened my eyes...I was standing on the curb. The guy in the car was stopped, freaking out thinking he had hit me...and everyone at the bus stop couldn't comprehend what had happened...I was in the middle of the road, and suddenly I wasn't. It was really weird.

Shortly after I turned 18, I had several people randomly come up to me and say, "I'm a clairvoyant, and I've been told you are one too. Did you know?"...I would think someone was screwing with me, but it happened in malls, at work...when I was on vacation...at school...it was...unnerving.

I know it all sounds crazy...I struggle... because...I have no explanation. I still know what people are going to say often before they say it...and I get strong feelings of knowing people before I've met them...because I dream about people before I meet them.

Shortly after I turned 18, I had several people randomly come up to me and say, "I'm a clairvoyant, and I've been told you are one too. Did you know?"...I would think someone was screwing with me, but it happened in malls, at work...when I was on vacation...at school...it was...unnerving.

I know it all sounds crazy...I struggle... because...I have no explanation. I still know what people are going to say often before they say it...and I get strong feelings of knowing people before I've met them...because I dream about people before I meet them.

That's weird. I read somewhere (but now wonder at the legit-ality of it) that the people in our dreams, even as background people, are people we have already seen.

Our brains are incredible...we pick up on so much that we don't even realize we pick up on...it wouldn't surprise me if people in dreams are people we walked past earlier that day and didn't give a thought to...Dreams are our brains way of defragmenting.

Our brains are incredible...we pick up on so much that we don't even realize we pick up on...it wouldn't surprise me if people in dreams are people we walked past earlier that day and didn't give a thought to...Dreams are our brains way of defragmenting.

Yeah, but what you say conflicts with this idea, lol, of seeing people in your dreams before meeting them. But then again, weird things can happen. I remember once, in middle school, I left my desk and thought to myself, "my pencil's going to be missing." I came back and it wasn't there anywhere near. Another stranger one is... When I was maybe around the same age, I was in the guest room/computer room. I was on the computer, facing one wall. My mother was in the room, watching tv, facing the other wall. Somehow... It felt and I saw(?) the wall I was facing started to rumble and move like an earthquake sort of deal. When it stopped, I turned to my mom and asked her about it. She didn't see anything. I have no idea what that was for.

Yeah, I don't claim to understand how it all works...it's really beyond me.

Could you have had like a dizzy spell or something?

It's possible. It's been pointed out that I probably have vertigo, but my dizzy spells feels and looks way different. But then again, I'm not a doctor. Maybe I have something going on. After all, I have a lot of weird quirks such as geographic tongue, musical ear syndrome, and the term I forgot that means I can hear noises when there aren't anything (usually happens when I mute TV but still hear their proper voices). o.o; All bunch of useless quirks, lol.

Faraday - I'm curious. How can you believe in no possibility of supernatural happenings after those things you've experienced?

The "shh'ed" thing really got to me! To be "shh'ed" by to unexplainable "beings" "ghosts" whatever - crazy!

My high school dramatic arts teachers father worked on Roswell. Apparently they brought the ship or whatever back to my state (Ohio) and his dad assisted in it. He said a few times during his childhood men showed up and made sure his dad was keeping his mouth shut.

Archived