Please help with this ... guy I've been dating has an STI

Kalika

I was talking tonight to the guy I have been dating for the last few months. We have never been physical, so there is no question as to whether or not I have gotten it from him. He told me tonight that a large part of the reason he has been keeping me at bay (both physically and emotionally) is because he has a sexually transmitted infection that is incurable (given to him by his unfaithful ex gf).

He mentioned the name of it but I can't remember it.. It's not something I had heard of before.. anyways, he said it's a recurring fungal infection that causes bumps. Does anyone know anything about what this could be? I've never heard of a fungal infection causing bumps or sores.. If you know what it may be, how do you prevent it from spreading, etc.. ??

I love coming to these boards very much, you all have been a great help to me recently and I ask for that help once again. Thanks ahead of time to anyone who responds with any information!

link removed

is this it? he can have a yeast infection. Candida infection? Some men have it. (Warning - graphic photos in link!)

here is another site:

link removed

however, it says that yeast infections are easily treated. so, I am wondering if your boyfriend has the right info or if he has told you the correct info.

Please go ask him what he has.

there are some weird fungal infections out there... could he mean ringworm, or have mistaken a virus (warts, herpes) for a fungus??

i would INSIST that he give you the exact name for this, or have no contact with him... and if you do get a name from him, make sure you are protected from it before you agree to sexual contact.

fungus (jock itch etc.) is usually curable, though sometimes diffucult to eradicate... so either he is not very medically knowledgeable (and not following thru with treatment), or he did not really understand what the doctor was telling him.

No, don't worry Annie! Actually he hasn't even remotely attempted to do anything physical.. Guess now I know why! Until I know the full story and have researched it fully, I'm not even THINKING about doing anything with him. I definitely do NOT think he has purposefully hidden information from me.. It was my own mistake for not asking him lots of questions about it (like I said earlier, he mentioned what it was called but I forgot to ask him to repeat it..) whoops....

Also I'm pretty sure fungal infections ARE curable. Unlike viruses, anti-biotics can generally eradicate them.

antibiotics work on bacteria. anti-fungals work on fungus, and anti-virals work on viruses. They are all very different. antibiotics do not work on fungus.

It's Molloscum (sp??) that he has... Anyone ever heard of this?? I am finding contradictory information online.. some websites are saying that it clears up on its own eventually, others are saying that it's a virus and can come back at any time.. Holy confusion

Molloscum Contagiosum

Pronounced: mo-lus-kum kon-ta-je-o-sum

by Patricia Griffin Kellicker, BSN

Definition

Molloscum contagiosum is a viral infection of the skin. It is caused by a virus that is a member of the poxvirus family. The molloscum virus is spread through skin-to-skin contact. In children, the areas most commonly affected are the face, neck, arms, and hands. In adults, this infection is considered a sexually transmitted disease, and the genitals and surrounding skin are the areas most commonly affected.

Causes

Contact with the molloscum virus causes this skin infection. Skin lesions occur two weeks to two months after infection.

Risk Factors

A risk factor is something that increases your chances of getting a disease or condition. Having skin-to-skin contact with an infected person is the primary risk factor for contracting molloscum contagiosum. Other risk factors include:

* Indirect contact with an infected person through a swimming pool or bath or by sharing towels or clothing

* Sexual contact with an infected person

* Weakened immune system (e.g., HIV/AIDS) increases risk for getting disease, and causes more severe symptoms

Symptoms

Skin lesions are the primary symptom of molloscum contagiosum. If you experience a similar skin lesion, don’t assume it is due to molloscum contagiosum, these lesions may be caused by other health conditions, and it is important that you see your physician.

Molluscum Contagiosum

si55551284_96472_1

Copyright © 2005 Nucleus Communications, Inc. All rights reserved. link removed

Molloscum contagiosum skin lesions usually have the following characteristics:

* Small, dome-shaped bumps with dimpling in center

* Painless, but may be itchy or tender

* At first appear pearly or flesh-colored and later may turn gray and drain

* White or waxy substance in center of lesion

* Usually multiple lesions in groups

* Face, trunk, arms, and legs are common sites in children

* Genitals, abdomen, and inner thigh are common sites in adults

* Can last from several weeks to several years

Diagnosis

Diagnosis of molloscum contagiosum is usually made based on the appearance of the lesions. Sometimes a biopsy will be taken to look at under a microscope to confirm the diagnosis. Your doctor may refer you to a dermatologist, a doctor who specializes in skin conditions.

Treatment

Left untreated this disease usually resolves within six months. In untreated HIV infected patients, the lesions usually persist and spread indefinitely. Your doctor may recommend removal of the lesions in order to prevent spreading, or to avoid infecting others.

Treatment options include the following:

Surgical removal

The lesions can be removed by cutting them off the surface of the skin with a currette.

Chemical treatment

Similar to treating warts, chemicals are placed directly on the lesions to remove them. Common treatments include podophyllin, cantharidin, phenol, silver nitrate, trichloracetic acid, and iodine.

Cryotherapy

This method uses cold to freeze the lesions off of the skin. Liquid nitrogen, dry ice, or a substance called Frigiderm may be used for this treatment.

Prevention

This disease is contagious. Take the following measures to reduce your risk of exposure to the virus:

* Avoid contact with an infected person; this includes sharing towels, clothing, baths, and pools

* Avoid sexual contact with an infected person

If you have the disease, reduce the risk of spread by not touching the lesions and washing your hands promptly if you do.

A break out on the skin sounds like genital herpes I have a few friends that have this and its not treatable but can take medicine to keep it from spreading if it is herpes then rest assure that whenever you have sex make sure there is no break out and also use protection it can cause more major problems on a female then male it is actually more comforting if the two mates both have it together it sets their minds at ease just be careful it happens more than anyone thinks and be glad he trusted you enough to tell you I mean it could have been a secret which means you would be sick to also dont push the topic with him its very sensitive issue with people that have things like this I say only talk about it when he talks about.

I contracted molluscum contagiosum 2 years ago. I honestly don't know how I got it (unless I got it from a towel while I was staying in the nasty barracks while visiting my boyfriend at the time). For most people it does go away. Unfortunately, for a few, the virus is relentless and never goes away. What I did was use a needle, some iodine, (dip the needle in iodine and puncture the lesion and then cover the lesions in iodine) and I took 800mg of cimetidine (over the counter heart burn medication that has been found to boost the immune system and work as an antiviral) for a couple of months. The problem with this infection isn't that it hurts or anything, its just annoying. They're painless but not pretty and they spread like wild fire! And yes, they are relentless. But if your immune system is healthy enough they will go away. How long has he had this? It usually takes up to 2 years at the MOST to clear up. Anyway...I've been in a sexual relationship with someone for a month now and if he shows no sign of having it now, I doubt he ever will. I suspect I've kicked that nasty little virus. Good luck to you!

It sounds like "genital warts" and I believe it's HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS..so read up on it on the internet... and be careful, I hope HE IS ALWAYS WASHING HIS HANDS.. I feel sorry for him but be sure to PROTECT YOURSELF.. learn as much as you can about it, and how to be safe during any intamcy..even when he is NOT having an outbreak..

Fast search on internet brought this up:

In men Genital warts are less common, however, warts can occur on the:

scrotum (the sac that holds the testicles)

tip or shaft of the penis

In men and women

Anal sex can cause warts:

on, in or around the anus and rectum

Oral sex can cause warts in the :

mouth

throat

Symptoms include:

bleeding

difficulty in swallowing (if in the mouth or throat)

difficulty in urination (if in the urethra, penis or vagina)

localized discomfort and pain

You should see a health professional immediately if any of the following occurs:

bleeding or skin changes around the genitals

contact with an infected person

unusual growths or bumps

Note

The longer HPV warts are allowed to grow, the more persistent they become and untreated genital warts can eventually spread, grow, and multiply into large clusters causing health complications

Sometimes people who are infected with HPV do not develop the warts for many years