Respectful opinions of Jehovah's Witnesses

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ones I've met have been nice enough, but very much of the belief that their view is the only correct view. I personally can't deal with people like that and am not seeking/do not believe in "ultimate truth", so I don't tend to get on with them. I'm sure it's nice to feel part of their community and to believe 100% what they believe - it probably feels safer to think you know something for certain than to think you can never know anything for certain - but you'd have to be aware you'd be committing to a religion AND a lifestyle that includes trying to convert people who don't want to be converted.

You know, a lot of people say things about both the Jehovah's Witness and the Mormon denominations... but I must say that I admire their diligence. They do not salute the flag because they feel that it puts country over God. Also, they do not celebrate many of the holidays like the Fourth of July, Valentines day, Halloween, etc.

They expect members of their congregation to tithe, (contribute 10% of their wages to the church), but in return they will go out of their way to help a member who is having hard times.

The main critisism seems to be that they are controlling, or even brainwashing. I think they just make an impassioned case for their beliefs.

Also, I have met ex-members of both, (especially the Mormons) who are very critical of their former denominations, and it seems that it is hard on couples when only one is a member.

I would say, follow your heart. If it looks good to you, try it for a awhile. Make up your own mind because people will say rotten things about them. (I have also seen them (JWs and Mormons) get very upset when I decline their membership.) I am non-denominational.

So, you might try that, (declining) and see how they react.

Good luck, and God bless.

The way to true happiness... is in making others happy.

They expect members of their congregation to tithe, (contribute 10% of their wages to the church), but in return they will go out of their way to help a member who is having hard times.

Actually this isn't correct. Contributions are done on a personal basis in secret i.e. there is no collection plate.

A box is placed somewhere in the Kingdom Hall and people put in whatever they are able to - no-one has any idea of another's donation and there is no minimum amount.

Ok, you aren't enabled to receive PM"S soooo.....

If I were to become dedicated again to any religion it would be that one. My family (Half are witnesses- half are not) I have a brother and other family members who are disfellowshipped. I have been married to an elder and former Bethelite in one of the congregations as well as been a regular Pioneer myself and my children are still being raised by their father as witnesses with my support even tho I no longer attend.

My boyfriend's lately started studying with Jehovah's Witnesses after they knocked on our door in the fall. I'm interested in finding our what people think about them as I don't know much about them. Respectful views only please, even if they're negative.

The religion is very tight-knit. Those who are not Jehovah's Witnesses are usually shut out.

You may have to prepare yourself for this prospect if you don't agree with/participate in your BF's new beliefs.

BellaDonna

First, I want to confirm what a previous poster said about donations. There are NO financial expectations of members, and donations are anonymous. They don't suggest 10% or anything else. They only suggest that you give what you can.

There are benefits and drawbacks to joining this religion. The main drawback, from my experience, is that it tears families apart. In my extended family, when someone leaves the religion they basically drop off the face of the earth. They are considered dead. All contact is severed. Some JW's don't take such a strict stand, but the practise of disfellowshipping can certainly break down family relationships (and other relationships).

Benefits: The religion teaches good morals and nonviolence.

Some of the rules:

-no sex outside of marriage

-no divorce unless one of the parties has cheated

-no smoking

-no getting drunk

-no voting

-not getting involved in politics or the military

-you shouldn't spend time with a boyfriend (gf) without a chaperone

-gay people are sinners

-you should not develop friendships with people outside the religion, unless you are converting them.

-you should only work a minimal amount so as to spend as much time as possible with your family and dedicated to God

-you must preach from door to door

-university is discouraged (not forbidden, but other members will look down upon you for doing it since it is wordly knowledge and a distraction from God)

-your children are discouraged from participating in extra-ciricular activities

-no Christmas, birthdays, Thanksgiving day, Halloween, New Years celebrations, etc. (You ONLY celebrate the death of Christ).

-if a member leaves the religion (or is disfellowshipped), you should not talk to him anymore. If you do, you can face punishment.

-if you break the rules, you can be disfellowshipped.

...these rules are pretty strict. Most of the members follow them quite closely.

-you should not develop friendships with people outside the religion, unless you are converting them.

-you should only work a minimal amount so as to spend as much time as possible with your family and dedicated to God

-you must preach from door to door

-university is discouraged (not forbidden, but other members will look down upon you for doing it since it is wordly knowledge and a distraction from God)

-your children are discouraged from participating in extra-ciricular activities-if a member leaves the religion (or is disfellowshipped), you should not talk to him anymore. If you do, you can face punishment.

-if you break the rules, you can be disfellowshipped.

A slightly distorted few statements I think!!!

Friendships with non-Witnesses is not forbidden. But it's a good idea to spend time with like-minded people who share your beliefs.

No-one makes ANY demands on how much time you work - that's crazy

No-one looks down on anyone else - or at least they shouldn't (how can anyone look down on someone else???!) University at the expense of your worhsip to God would not be a good idea but I know loads of Witnesses who've gone to University and they've not been looked down upon at all!!

If a member leaves they are not spoken to anymore or the Witness faces punishment....crazy!!!! lol That's simply not true. If they are a baptised witness and do something that means they are disfellowshipped then yes contact is limited. If they simply decide they don't want to be a Witness any longer then they certainly are spoken to.

If you break the rules you are disfellowshipped. Right let's just set the record straight.... before anyone is baptised they have to go through a process that ensures they are ready to make that committment. Once they have made it then they agree to live by certain "standards". If they willfully break them and are unrepentant then they will be disfellowshipped. If, however they are sorry for what they have done and do not plan to repeat it they are NOT disfellowshipped.

Oh and they don't "celebrate" Christ's death in the way that word conveys either. There is a "Memorial" of his death - an important meeting held annually that remembers this event and what it means for everyone on the earth.

On the list of things you also forgot to mention perhaps the most important (and sometimes most controversial) - they don't accept blood transfusions under any circumstances although they DO wish to prolong life and thereforeeee accept any form of non-blood management of a medical emergency.

Hazey Amber,

You pretty much summed it up... however in recent times even disfellowshipped children can be communicated with by parents or other syblings who are still in good standing under acceptable conditions like when they need help or death of another family member or in work situations or even if the disfellowshipped person has children that the Grandparents and aunts and uncles want to actively show their love to. However the degree of contact is a personal conscience matter for each individual and based on individual circumstances.

I am not disfellowshipped just inactive yet because of certain situations in my life now anyone I used to know who are witnesses will not actively socialize with me. But whenever I inadvertantly run into anyone they hug me tell me they love and miss me and want me to come back. My family who are witnesses tho still communicate with me according to their own comfort level...and I respect the caution they have so I don't aggressively pressure them in that regard. I am getting remarried to an unbeliever and I have limited my fiance's contact with my mother since I have compasion for her feelings on the matter.. needless to say she nor my sister will be attending the wedding tho I understand their reasons. The religion is one basically where you have to be wholesouled devoted to it and God or you might as well not do it. You need to be willing to sacrifice some family and friends in everyway (ie: not accepting blood transfusions) and put your service and obedience to God above everyone else including any children you have. (This is my issue I struggle with and why I left feeling like a hypocrite... I knew I resented that it felt SO MUCH was being asked of me that I knew I wasn't willing to give anymore) Perhaps selfishness on my part. My 10 yr old son was in an accident .. in ICU for a month. The Witnesses rallied around us and I couldn't have asked for a better more loving and giving support system but the issue of transfusions came up and basically the result was that several years after all that happened I realized I demanded more certain factual clear reasons for my faith ( that was fading away) since I didn't get them I felt I had to leave.

Wimpy, I'm sorry if I offended you. I was simply speaking of my observations over 17 years of being one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Regarding baptism, I can only give my personal experience. I was pressured into baptism from a young age, and finally became baptised at the age of 12. By the age of 14 I knew that I didn't believe in this religion and wanted out. I begged to be disfellowshipped, and was. Although I was living with my family, they would not let me study with them and they basically ignored me most of the time. Since we usually had friends over for supper, I had to eat alone in my room most nights. However, I was a good kid (not a rebel) and was still expected to obey my mother's rules, which meant that I wasn't allowed to have friends outside the religion. But the people inside the religion wouldn't talk to me. So I spent close to a year without having anyone to talk to.. completely alone. Also, I still had to go to all the meetings (3 times a week). I would sit in the car for 1/2 hour before the meeting would start, and go in just as it was starting. I would have to sit alone in the back row, and leave quickly as soon as it ended, then go sit in the car for another 1/2 hour. Needless to say, I became depressed and soon was begging to be reinstated. All before the age of 15.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to be held by a dedication of my life to God that I was pressured into making at 12 years old.

My family flirted with becoming Witnesses as I was growing up. We were all already strong Christians, me more so than my parents, certainly, and I was strongly opposed. The Witnesses I've known and grown up with had a "one of us, or not my friend" mentality, where you were forced to convert if you wanted to have any real relationship with them. They held themselves apart from other people, emotionally. They were only allowed to marry within their religion. This always struck me as being un-Christlike. They also do not celebrate Christmas or birthdays, and my parents thought that was unnecessary and foolish, and so we did not convert.

Jehovah's Witnesses do not actually believe what Christians believe. Their beliefs are closer to what Muslims think. They have a special translation of the Bible created for them that takes out or rewords anything that disagrees with their beliefs. The major area of difference between them and Christians is in who they think Christ is. Historically, the Jehovah's Witnesses are famous for stating the end of the world would come on such and such a date; this happened at least twice, that I'm aware of. Even to make such a prediction is in direct violation of the statement by Christ that "no man knoweth the hour or the day."

I found it to be very legalistic (believing that actions make one holy), and personal judgement was discouraged, so I never wanted anything to do with it. I want to follow God, not men.

Hazey Amber,

I am sorry for your struggle. I'm sorry you felt so alone. You should not have been pressured. If you were then is was not wise of your parents. I wanted to get baptized when I was 16 and my mother made me wait til I was 18. I think it is not always best to make such a decision when you are so young.

Unsure123

I kinda got off on a tangent but my advice to you is to reserve judgement or conclusion of Witnesses until after you yourself have investigated them and their beliefs... heresay even from people who "seem" to think they 'know" is never a good basis for your own conclusions.

Hey you didn't offend me in the slightest so please don't worry.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation - it sounds very unfortunate but obviously not knowing all of the circumstances I can't comment.

I will say one thing though, the Witnesses aren't 100% right all of the time - imperfect people are bound to make mistakes and handle things wrongly. I am sorry that things turned out so badly for you and I personally don't agree with forcing anyone into making a dedication - neither should anyone who claims to follow the bible - it's not in there that's for sure.

I hope you find some peace.

I confess, I haven't read all replies.

My opinion of Jehovah's Witnesses is that I have the upmost respect for what they do.

I am agnostic.

However, I find someone who can go around and try to spread the word of God as quite disrespectful.

Aparently, God is everywhere - why is it necessary that his messenger is on your doorstep?

I would never go around spreading the word of no God, purely because I have respect for another human's beliefs.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

It's been real interesting to read your thoughts so far.

All the Witnesses by boyfriend has introduced me to seem really nice and they talked about normal everyday things, not pushing their beliefs on me. They all seem really happy too, which is one of the reasons I'm very slowly becoming interested in seeing what it's about. Many people in today's world seem unhappy but Witnesses always seem different, even though lots of people don't like them. One of them told me that the Bible kind of says that the true religion is the one which will be ridiculed, and Witnesses and a few others like Mormons are the main faiths which people don't like and make fun of. Witnesses don't get involved in wars either, but look at other religions around the world. Many are caused by religion!

But I agree with you all that it sounds to me like a huge commitment to become a baptised Jehovah's Witness.

Having said that, my boyfriend has met some very rich businesspersons who are Witnesses and also Witnesses who have been to college (university). But I've heard him talk about some of them called Pioneers, who seem to be the ones who devote their lives to their faith.

I think the 'no sex before marriage' thing has some goodness in it, but I don't believe you really know if you're compatible with someone unless you LIVE with them before marriage, otherwise it's kinda hard. How do you know what bad domestic habits they have?!

The blood thing I can also kind of understand, as I've heard stories in the news about people getting HIV and other stuff after being given blood. But I can see why their beliefs on blood offend many people.

My boyfriend's uncle and aunt are Witnesses and they tell me that it's true about some Witnesses being kind of strange and really strict, but they tell me that most of them are ok. They admit that it's a faith though, so they don't have all the answers and they do have some problems with the teachings, but they trust in faith that what they're taught is correct.

It might sound like I'm slowly converting too, but I'm just pointing out some of the good points. I guess it depends which Witnesses you meet. Some are crazy strict, some are cool.

I just don't know how I feel about my boyfriend getting involved. I knew some of his relatives are JW but never knew he had an interest.

Oh and I think it's wrong to christen a child like Catholics do, or to baptise like Witnesses do, at such a young age. My bf was left to make his own decision.

I don't have a good opinion about that religion.

I knew 2 people of my age who were coming from families of Jehova's Witnesses and I always sensed something weird.

These jung people seemed very unhappy to me.

One of them commited a suicide 3 years ago (it don't claim it has anything to do with religion, but it just stays connected in your memory) and she was the best student in my high school and she attended my University. A very nice and polite girl. They didn't even give out the information where and when she'll be burried (in my country that's not a common thing)

The other one was very smart guy, but he was weird too. It has been apparent how he's ashamed of the fact his parents are J.W. Even people who knew him for years didn't know that!

Looks like that if you choose to question your beliefs it makes huge troubles in your family in case they're Jehovas w.

And one more thing - I really don't think it's polite asking other people to convert to J.W or to try to persuade them how their religion is not as good as one of J.W.

Jehovah's are a documented cult, they indoctrinate/brainwash you slowly until they alienate you from everyone that isn't a Jehovah unless they convert also.

If he continues in that cult, you will be history.

The Watchtower is their companion book that has all the the things like Jesus ISN'T the son of god but is the Archangel Michael (false and disproved in Revelation), the nonsense of not getting a transfusion etc. etc.. They will also milk you dry for money.

Everything you would want to know to get him out of there;

link removed

• Like 1

Can anyone else confirm the relationship between Jesus and God in the eyes of Witnesses, as I've heard from several different people who are JWs and also non-JWs that Witnesses believe that God's name is Jehovah taken from the Hebrew word Yahweh (let's face it, they say Jehovah in the Monty Python Film 'The Secret Life of Brian'!) and that Jesus is god's son. They don't believe in the trinity which is what Catholics I think believe in, that Jesus, God and the Holy Ghost are all 1. Witnesses believe they are all separate. Can Wimpy or anyone else confirm this stuff?

My mother in law recently converted to Jahovah's Witness. Its been a little bit to accept me being christian. We just avoid the entire religious conversation as much as possible because it has caused conflict between us. The hardest part for me to deal with is that they do not celebrate birthdays.

She lives right next door. I hope the day does not ever come that she stops communicating with my children because she is a JW.

Jehovah's are a documented cult, they indoctrinate/brainwash you slowly until they alienate you from everyone that isn't a Jehovah unless they convert also.

If he continues in that cult, you will be history.

The Watchtower is their companion book that has all the the things like Jesus ISN'T the son of god but is the Archangel Michael (false and disproved in Revelation), the nonsense of not getting a transfusion etc. etc.. They will also milk you dry for money.

Everything you would want to know to get him out of there;

link removed

Might I respectfully suggest you look up the definition of the word "cult" and you will see it has no relevance. Also, it would seem you perhaps haven't read their Watchtower magazine since had you done so you'd have found that Witnesses 100% believe that Jesus is the Son of God.

Also, rather than give a link to some random site written no doubt by people as similarly misinformed it might be an idea to direct people to the site actually published by the Witnesses don't you think???

link removed

Also, the claim about them milking you dry for money. I've never EVER heard that happening - see previous post.

I'm all for free speech and all but only when it's based on fact and not fiction.

For all participating in this discussion: as this is a sensitive topic, please be open to each others points of view and respect the differences in experience and background. All opinions could matter as the OP is trying to gather information about Jehova's Witnesses.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, it's just a note (not a warning or anything!) because the discussion so far seems pretty fruitful. I am amazed to read the very different experiences.

To the OP and others who are interested in discussing religion in general (as ENA is primarily a relationship forum), I found that link removed is a pretty good and VERY diverse site. I joined under the same nick, but note that you can only read the forum if you register. Except for that the forum is similarly constructed to this one.

Arwen