Would you date yourself?

Lily04

If you were a member of the opposite sex... would you date yourself?

someone asked me this question and i found it really interesting... forced me to see myself objectively.

I said I probably wouldn't actually... because I feel like I don't have my things together, so to speak...I think guys probably find me too difficult...

edit: Actually I would date myself at first. Because I am good-looking, smart, seem confident and friendly, down-to-earth, maybe a bit mysterious....lol. I guess those are the good attributes... but then when I'd find out about my issues, i'd likely jet as well....

• Like 2
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow - good question Lily.

I think I would date myself based on the superficial things. But once I got to know myself better......naw....I'd have to let me down easy and quickly exit stage left...

hahaha. i'm not sure if you're serious, but why would you exit?

LOL

\Yes, yes I would, to be honest

I would have to be pretty amazing tho, I dont fall for people who arent exceptional.. if that make sense

I am a lot of work, high maintenance, but I give as good as I get, so I figure Im worth it... and Im good in the sack... just dont get on my bad side

would I date myself? hmm...

I might casually date me.. but will find it too difficult to go on any further because I seem to have a real complex about the opposite sex (I admit it). It's very hard to crack open my ice wall and gain my trust and it's just not worth all that trouble. I seem to have trust issues.. and who wants to seriously date someone who is constantly suspicious of your intentions?

forced me to see myself objectively.

This is a really good topic. Throughout the day it's easy for someone to justify a wrong, pick up baggage, "not have their stuff together," or focus on things which really don't matter. But it's not all doom and gloom because you have these things going for you:

good-looking, smart, seem confident and friendly, down-to-earth, maybe a bit mysterious

Superficial maybe, but they are positives which work in your favor. I'll admit, when I was in school these were the only qualities which mattered to me, and why I acted so, oopps, arrogant! But I took a step back and realized, wait a minute, who would honestly want to date an arrogant person? I knew I didn't, so I began to smooth out some of those rough edges.

If anything, I think this a great exercise for singles, as well as those committed to others, to work on improving oneself. Sort of like a self-analysis or pros and cons list. Just don't beat yourself up on those cons - take action and work on them - progress not perfection. Remember, in the end you are doing this for yourself.

would I date myself? hmm...

I might casually date me.. but will find it too difficult to go on any further because I seem to have a real complex about the opposite sex (I admit it). It's very hard to crack open my ice wall and gain my trust and it's just not worth all that trouble. I seem to have trust issues.. and who wants to seriously date someone who is constantly suspicious of your intentions?

WOW. Are you me??! lol. those are the same issues i have... well and i lack confidence to some extent as well.

have you had any/many bfs in the past? how were you able to gain their trust... did you have to start out as friends? it's something i'm still learning to deal with, i've only had one boyfriend in the past.. and that only lasted for 3 months.

p.s. if you'd rather PM me so as not to hijack the thread, that's fine as well.

I would. Shoot, if I could find a slightly more laid back male version of me, I'd be there. Oh wait, I had that once and I turned his beautiful behind down because he was 4 years younger. The mistakes of plenty are the regrets of maturity.

Thanks. I don't think I'm arrogant... although I might have been in the past. I seemed to judge people too early, but that might have been because of my perfectionism more than arrogance as well...

I think one of my biggest flaws is that I am perfectionistic and ambitious... maybe not laid-back enough. although at the same time i realllllly procrastinate so i'm always catching up on school.....definitely going to work on that.

I would date 'me'....I think I am pretty interesting and unique

But are you interesting to yourself?

And how can you be unique if there's two of you

Imagine the conversations

The response to every story, comment or tidbit would be "I know"

You could sit there in silence and have the most rewarding conversation you'll ever have with yourself.