Meaning of holding waists/hands???

Hey!

My friend is doing a research project on affection for a human sexuality class and talking to her has made me think about this issue and I have a question.

Which do you think shows greater committment/caring/liking/love? If a man holds his hand on your waist when walking side by side or when he holds your hand??

Why do you think so? Also, does the first time holding hands/waist have a significant meaning?

Thank you for the replies!

i think the tighter body parts are entwined, and the more body parts making contact, the closer and more intimate the connection. that's what body language experts say anyway... so definitely more intimate to be holding the waist. holding hands is great too, and a lot easier to walk around that way. so a lot depends on the situation, and the people involved too.

some people are more into public displays of affection too than others, so some people don't want too much touching in public and will avoid it for their own personal reasons, even if they are quite intimate and loving in private. different cultures are different too...

sometimes handholding etc. can be an aggressive gesture or sign of control or dominance in a relationship... if the man grabs the woman's hand and always drags her along behind him, keeping in front especially... it is not so much a gesture of closeness, more a sign that 'i am in charge here and you will follow my lead...'

btw, i always thought the body language between Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes was weird... he always seems to be grabbing one of her hands with one hand, and grabbing her around the upper arm of the same arm with his other hand, and kind of shoving her around by the upper arm like he's in controlling her and her body movements rather than an affectionate or protective gesture... it is a really awkward and artificial pose too, that one doesn't normally see. and if he's walking, he's always in front, kind of dragging her behind him and not paying attention to what's going on behind him with her... i saw several magazines that noticed this and commented on it too and many have speculated on the fact that he's really trying to dominate her via these gestures. so gestures like handholding and body contact can sometimes indicate more about relationship dynamics than just affection.

so a lot has to do with HOW these contacts are made and more subtle body positions/actions that accompany them, not just the stereotypical meaning of the contact itself... if two people put their arms around each other waists, but one is always leaning away from the other while one snuggles up, that could be a sign of trouble with one person pulling away or not comfortable with the affectionate gesture. people can go thru the motions with body contact because it is expected of them, but it doesn't guarantee real closeness or affection.

er so what does it mean if ur gf doesnt ever want to hold ur hand or have you touch her, b/c it makes her uncomfortalbe, but she says its "not you" cuz she doenst like when anyone touches/ hugs her, even like family?](*,)

EEEK.. I dunno. I had an "X" who would hold my hand in public, I think it was an ownership thing with him. But in private he didn't like those abscent minded carrasses. Both of us came from families where there was no displays of affection... I guess I'm just wired differently.

• 4 months later...

I'm NOT big on the waist (usually because I'm wearing heels and have enough trouble standing on my own two feet in them, thankyouverymuch) but I will hold hands, though my FIRST and most natural is to hold my guy's arm. So maybe that should be another option?

Anyone else do the arm-holding thing more naturally than either waist or hands?

Anyone else do the arm-holding thing more naturally than either waist or hands?

I do that sometimes with my bf. He's held on to my waist a few times when we were walking about, though he loves holding hands. Even if we're sitting down he'll hold my hand.

PDA can be a sign of ownership. sometimes beautiful girls like to show that they are taken when in public so that they don't get strangers grabbing their butt etc.

walking while holding hands is nice. normally the strides match, do people generally prefer to walk in phase(both people step right foot at the same time) or out of phase, (one steps with left while the other steps with the right).

I find out of phase is good so that both people swing the arm at the same time. when walking in phase it seems like my x was stronger with her arm swinging as she would end out swinging her arm normally while i would swing mine with her which is opposite to how people normally swing their arm. as a result i learnt to do a little double step to get the feet out of phase so that we can both swing our arms in a natural way.